Valentines' Day Suprise

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Valentines' Day Suprise
Apprentice
Member # 8080
Profile Homepage #0
This is Robinator, or Robin Thomas. I chose a different screen name for a change o' pace. Hanyway.

Today is, or was, as you all probably know, February 13th, an unlucky number which would live up to its connotations. After coming back from celebrating the Ohio snow day (lots of sleet and ice) by sledding, my mom informed me that my girlfriend's mother had called: Becky, the gf, had woken up early in the morning feeling crummy and started getting dizzy. They took her to the hospital to see what was wrong, she went through a CT-Scan and it turned out she needed an appendectomy. I must have gotten home about halfway through the operation. It was kind of a weird idea on Becky's part, spending a snow day having her appendix removed. It's as bizarre a Valentine's Day present as it is a commemoration of her parents' 19th anniversarry, which was yesterday.

Needless to say, I was a bit freaked out. Sure, I've had appendectomies and tonsils removed loads of times, probably. But when one tells their girlfriend that they "love every part of her," and "wouldn't trade any trait of hers for anyone else's," and then she gets a perfectly good ol' vestigal organ removed, it's hard to decide wheter one should be worried about her health or outraged that she didn't take one's words seriously. I mean, really, relationships are built on honesty.

Becky's fine. But she is on heavy drugs and is currently having an IV. Her voice is scratchy from all the oxygen, and she's eating the adult equivalent of baby food. I personally think she's a little ungrateful, considering she probably went through all this just to avoid the cheese fondue I'm making for Valentines' Day tomorrow.

But of course, looking uncaring isn't something she'd want. So I'm trying to figure out a way to celebrate Valentines' Day anyway in a cheery fashion, even though she'll probably be bed-ridden at home the whole time (her family's camping out in the hospital). I was going to write a poem about hoping she gets better and loving her, and how the gaping hole in her abdomen put a gaping hole in my heart, but not much rhymes with "appendix."

So. Does anyone have any ideas regarding how to spend V-Day with someone who just went through a surgical operation like this and who will probably still be a bit yucksome?

EDIT: Sorry about any typos. I'm listening to Electric Light Orchestra.

[ Tuesday, February 13, 2007 20:05: Message edited by: Two Open-Mouthed Burglars ]

--------------------
Maybe they're shocked. They might just be bug-eyed, not burglars. But at any rate, 8080 definitely is the smiley of two people slack-jawed with awe.

—Robin Thomas for Prez in 2024—
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #1
Just be there with her. That would be the best. Watch a movie maybe.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #2
If you love her, and wish her to think loving thoughts of you, you will spend the entire day with her in the hospital. You will have arranged flowers to have been delivered several times. You will have communicated with her parents and told them that they can enjoy their St Hallmark Day plans because you are taking care of their daughter.

Then do whatever it is she likes to do. Read poetry to her, play music for her, call people she wants to talk to, have food delivered (if she can eat it), and bribe the nurses to leave you in charge of her.

In short, make her truly believe that you are the only person in the world she will ever need to take care of her.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
This is Robinator, or Robin Thomas. I chose a different screen name for a change o' pace. Hanyway.
Today is Get a Different Name Day too. I can't believe I almost missed it entirely.

Oh, and you probably don't want any dating advice from Dikiyoba.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
Andraste knows what she is talking about. Salmon is being weird just enough to make one wonder if he's doing it on purpose, as usual.

But then, if you frequent these boards, you expect that from these people.

Basically, be easy-going about it, make sure to visit, bring something small but meaningful (probably a card or something, not food), and be prepared to hang out there for a while or go home pretty quickly depending on how well she's feeling.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
Unfortunately, I can only offer my experience from the appendectomy perspective.

I can tell you that my classmates (this was back in first grade in elementary school) sent me a bunch of pictures and (memory's getting hazy at this point), a girl I think I liked sent me some chocolate, which I was able to eat a couple of days later.

This surgery sounds more complicated than mine (I didn't need an IV afterward) even though they later told me I could have been dead within a week without the operation. So I'm not sure whether the same applies.

However, chocolate doesn't expire quickly, so it's not such a faux-pas to give that. Also, you don't need to have a functioning digestive tract to appreciate flowers.

Finally, lying for several days in a hospital room with nobody (or worse, other people who are even sicker) for company isn't much fun. A longer visit, as already mentioned, is in order and would probably be appreciated. :)

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
Leave her. She's only going to have more health problems further down the track. Sooner or later one of you is going to die and then you'll be apart forever anyway.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #7
I recommend you both stare fixedly for hours at her removed appendix floating dreamily in a jar of formaldehyde which can be fashioned with a little care into a fluorescent-colored lava lamp. Occasionally, you can comment how enthralled you are that she is really opening up to you and showing you what's inside her. Take the jar and its precious cargo with you, and assure her that a part of her now goes everywhere with you.

-S-

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
Yeah, I've got to go with Andraste's verdict here. Sometimes, in fact quite frequently, all you need to do is be there.

Glad she's alright.

[ Tuesday, February 13, 2007 21:54: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #9
If she doesn't already have it with her, bring an iPod or a similar device to drown out what she's hearing around her. You can't be there all the time to distract her from the hospital noises.

There is a limit to how long you can visit and you will run out of things to say eventually.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Cryptozoology:

Leave her. She's only going to have more health problems further down the track. Sooner or later one of you is going to die and then you'll be apart forever anyway.
Listen to the biologist. A biologist is basically the same as a med student, which is exactly the same as a doctor. A doctor!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #11
Thuryl is saving himself for Wonder Woman.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #12
Now the big day hey well even if it's out of date listen :
Love is a desert flower that dose not live for long without water love and caring is the water of the flower you just got to give the right amount at each time.
Though i don't know much about love, being a dividing evil martian, human sexuality is alien to me. But what i know is the only thing that confront us that make us less afraid and lost is that we are the same.

[ Wednesday, February 14, 2007 01:53: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #13
Granted, Thuryl, if it's you who dies, you won't really be in a position to care about being apart from her forever.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
Hence,

IMAGE(http://www.mahkah.com/AlterWegundmehr/Ribbons/saveearth.jpg)

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #15
quote:

Save her the pain and suffering, poison in the drip bag I say.

Oh, and I'm getting in on change your day too.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by moonear:

Oh, and I'm getting in on change your day too.
That sounds like a self-help holiday. "Change your day! You have the power to make a bad day into a good one!"

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #17
Albeit a holiday that's limited in scope, at least compared to "Change Your Life" Day. Further, what if your day is already going splendidly?

As for the gal in the hospital, I say find a funny "get well" card, go visit, and be ready to run any errands or fulfill any requests she might have. Considerateness is probably one of the best gifts you can give a convalescent.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #18
I think Andraste has said it best.
After all, attention, time spent together, and a little communication never hurt a good relationship.

Hope you guys are enjoying the snow. Judging from the weather reports, you guys weren't hit as bad by the sleet as we were out in Springfield, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to go visiting.

I, meanwhile, am marooned on campus, as the local plow and salting crews have yet to figure out that it's a very bad idea to attempt to simply plow through an inch of solid ice.
The snow-covered sidewalks are safer to drive on than the roads at this point.
And in terms of Valentine's Day, well... long-distance relationships are worse than being single on days like today.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin sent out valentines today.
I hope he remembers to give one to me.
That would make it two years running.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #19
I'm glad she's okay. And all the advice dispensed will beat mine, so meh. Just enjoy your day with her.

Grimm - I know EXACTLY what you mean. Distance relationships suck. Totally. :(

And, it's Valentine's Day, which got me feeling gah, because it's the one day when the world chooses to remind me I am alone, and a cretin, and other things beside. BUT it's also the anniversary of the premiere of The Importance Of Being Earnest, and I was hoping to have 1895 posts, because that was the year it premiered. But I suck at posting too...

So instead, I shall wish everybody else a good time, and will silently fume at you all.

That is all :P

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Apprentice
Member # 8080
Profile Homepage #20
I was going to take Crypto's advice, but then I remembered she owes me presents. So we settled for making cheese fondue and watching 'Robin Hood; Men in Tights'.

Thanks for your help! She's fine now. Happy V-Day, everyone!

[ Friday, February 16, 2007 13:57: Message edited by: Two Open-Mouthed Burglars ]

--------------------
Maybe they're shocked. They might just be bug-eyed, not burglars. But at any rate, 8080 definitely is the smiley of two people slack-jawed with awe.

—Robin Thomas for Prez in 2024—
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #21
Did you hear about the girlfriend who had her entire left side cut off?

She's all right now.

-S-

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Two Open-Mouthed Burglars:

Thanks for your help! She's fine now. Happy V-Day, everyone!
Yay! Glad she's okay.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.