A Rememberance of Things Past

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A Rememberance of Things Past
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #0
My old department sent out a newsletter where a professor remembered back in the 1970's a graduate student asking for 16kB RAM for their IMSAI computer. The professor said, "Why do you need that much memory?" The company is still around.

People today have it so easy. No more cramming programs into tiny memory requirements. Loading programs from punched paper tapes or from 9 inch floppy disks.

Any thoughts from the younger generation?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
Even if they offer something, it won't be original.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #2
Can anything be truly classified as 'original'?

Edit: By the way, I resent that comment. Just because our generation happens to have been born in a more advanced society than yours was, doesn't mean all we can do is re-use old ideas. We are just as original as any other generation.

[ Tuesday, January 30, 2007 20:44: Message edited by: The Stew Boy ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
You mean you are just as good at plagarizing.
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #4
I also resent your comment. I have never deliberately plagarised someone else's work, and I don't intend to.
And anyway, plagarising is deliberately copying someone else's work and claiming it as your own. There's a difference between that, and coming up with an idea that someone else may have come up with 10 years ago.
Edit: Amazing. This topic has gone off-topic after only a couple of replies.

[ Tuesday, January 30, 2007 21:37: Message edited by: The Stew Boy ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Spent Salmon:

Even if they offer something, it won't be original.
Okay, I've finally got it. Salmon = Synergy. :P

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #6
Actually, Salmon = sarcastic old geezer.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #7
How young do you have to be to qualify as part of the "younger generation"? I'm caught between trying to understand my mother's puzzlement at thumb drives and her utter inability to click and drag (she's been using computers for more than ten years, and she still can't click and drag) and not being able to understand anything my sixteen-year-old cousin ever says about computers.

*feels old and young*
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #8
16kBs lol. With that much memory you could do anything.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by dareva:

(she's been using computers for more than ten years, and she still can't click and drag)
Along the same lines, my dad still double-clicks links in web browsers...

[ Tuesday, January 30, 2007 22:28: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #10
Nice to see ya around dareva.

--------------------
quote:

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Actually, Salmon = sarcastic old geezer.
Just leave me out of it entirely. Reduction yields Synergy as a sarcastic old geezer.

--------------------
quote:

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
I'm just old enough to remember messing around with floppies and having to cram images for my presentation into 1.3 Megs. Removing color channels, one at a time, cropping just those 5 extra pixels on the margin, shrinking another 10%... and finally, it fits!

Back in those days, we didn't have no fancy flash memory, no sirree, we used tiny magnetic media or messed around with CD-ROMs, and we bleedin' LIKED it!

On a related note, I just realized that Overlord Rule #99 is now outdated:

quote:
Any data file of crucial importance will be padded to 1.45Mb in size.
Unless we are going to assume that only the villains use cool technology like monster USB drives with >6GB (and an overlord never assumes), it's time to ditch this one.

Maybe the major record labels could serve as good examples for other evil overlords with their DRM and rootkits. :P

-------------------------

On a less related note, a few observations have led me to a hypothesis:

Is it true that "plagiarism" has a stigma in American culture that is even worse than "theft" or "felony"? It's certainly a lot worse than mere "copyright violation" or "piracy"...

[ Tuesday, January 30, 2007 23:57: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #13
Back when I started computing at school, we didn't have fancy things like hard drives, oh no. We had to boot BASIC from the ROM and run programmes from a 5" floppy disk (and they were genuinely floppy).

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Is it true that "plagiarism" has a stigma in American culture that is even worse than "theft" or "felony"? It's certainly a lot worse than mere "copyright violation" or "piracy"...
Well, it's a pretty threatening word. I mean, you get less than halfway through the word and already you've got 2/3 of "plague" staring at you.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #15
In 1985 the research lab I was in still had its IMSAI 8080 for most computing and gaming needs (someone had loaded an Adventure type game onto a floppy). IBM PCs were still relatively new and then mostly used for word processessing and games.

I still remember spending hours with a monochrome green or amber screen and trying to differentiate colors as different shades. Also having to test out color utility programs to find which ones would allow us to play color computer games on a monochrome screen. Somewhere I still have the obsolete list of which one would let someone play Flight Simulator.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
quote:

Most English classes in middle school and high school and virtually all college classes (at least at the schools that I've been in) have had a lecture defining and strongly denouncing plagiarism near the beginning of class or around the time that the first essay or major homework assignment was due, so yeah, the word has a pretty strong stigma.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #17
I feel far too young... I've been in contact with computers as long as I can remember, but the first computer we owned that I actually can actually recollect the name of was an LC III. It actually took normal floppies, and ran Quark, so I suppose that that puts me firmly in the modern era.

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #18
quote:

Most English classes in middle school and high school and virtually all college classes (at least at the schools that I've been in) have had a lecture defining and strongly denouncing plagiarism near the beginning of class or around the time that the first essay or major homework assignment was due, so yeah, the word has a pretty strong stigma.
Heh. At this point, most of my classes just say "Right, and you know plagiarism is bad, so we'll move right along..."

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #19
My Uni requires profs to read the blurb against plagiarism when going through the syllabus. The higher level the class, the faster the prof reads.

--------------------
Monster: RRRAARGH!!! (SLASH!)
Hilgya: Cure Light Wounds!
Monster: GRROWWWRGH! (SLASH!)
Durkon: Cure Light Wounds!
Monster: (CLAW! CLAW! BITE!) huff huff huff huff
Durkon: Cure Moderate Wounds!
Monster: Eh, screw this. I'll order Thai.
Durkon & Hilgya: Go, Team Cleric!
(OotS #77)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #20
And this gets rooted so deeply? Because I saw a similar reaction on Polaris once - google cache.

Around here, it's acknowledged as something underhanded and against the rules, but insinuating someone did it doesn't get a reaction as if you'd accused them of murder or something. :P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #21
quote:

Around here, it's acknowledged as something underhanded and against the rules, but insinuating someone did it doesn't get a reaction as if you'd accused them of murder or something. :P
Well, see, the thing is that if you're an academic and you're caught plagiarising, your career is kaput, so to speak. If you're passing off others' ideas as your own, that destroys any trust the faculty had in you to produce original work and give proper credit to research sources. And suppose your plagiarised work was used in a bestselling book, or in research that won a cash prize. Lawsuit city.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #22
I know of a case where a professor plagarized a student's research and got away with publishing it. It happens more than you would suspect because a student doesn't have much support in getting justice.

But if you want an expert's opinion then there is no better than Tom Lehrer.
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Spent Salmon:

Nice to see ya around dareva.
Thanks. I was driven back by the temptation of new BoA scenarios, and the need to finally, really truly get my own going before I go insane from boredom.

The last few classes I had involved not papers exactly, but various projects. The professors threatened us with failure, ridicule, and itchy rashes should we dare to plagiarize, but I don't recall my university's official statement on it. Since I don't plagiarize, I didn't really feel it that important to my life.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by The Stew Boy:

born in a more advanced society
This is a solecism. Advances in technology != advances in society.

I remember when the height of ecstasy was getting to play "Oregon Trail" (the first one) on the Apple IIe's in fourth grade. Usually, it was just "Logowriter" or "Number Munchers." Good ol' MECC!

I received my first "real computer" during my freshman year of high school. It was a 486 DX 33 (that's 33 megahertz) with four megs of ram and a 120 meg hard drive. I still remember loading "Quest for Glory 4" onto it via sixteen 3.5 inch disks.

Pages