Endeavor and Privacy

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Endeavor and Privacy
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #50
I am rather amazed that people think that there is any privacy on a publicly viewable site. Being truly paranoid, I believe there is no such thing as privacy over any electronic medium telephone, computer, internet and act accordingly.

The main concern I have is that my information is not collected for the purpose of spam and commercial exploitation, I could care less if someone is viewing what I am saying over an electronic medium. I do care if someone can exploit my email easily from a site to send me commercial garbage, but that is about it.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #51
The problems with privacy has all been solved, we just don't know it yet.

Why?

Thought police. They are everywhere, gathering evidence of your indeiscretions to be used by you in a court of kangaroo.

[ Monday, January 29, 2007 05:59: Message edited by: Bismark* ]

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #52
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Ack, the stealth karma thread is back. *hands out ones*

Oh, and since I just saw this:

Originally by Tyranicus:

quote:
My name is known to several of you, but I don't think my full name (first and last) has ever been mentioned on this board, and i hope to keep it that way.
Dikiyoba believes it has been, in a name thread a while back. Not that Dikiyoba remembers what it was.

That was in Polaris, actually, and I never mentioned my last name, so my 'full name has never been mentioned, and that wasn't even on this board. Also, the post has been lost due to the great Polaris data loss of '07. :P

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #53
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus.:

quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Ack, the stealth karma thread is back. *hands out ones*

Oh, and since I just saw this:

Originally by Tyranicus:

quote:
My name is known to several of you, but I don't think my full name (first and last) has ever been mentioned on this board, and i hope to keep it that way.
Dikiyoba believes it has been, in a name thread a while back. Not that Dikiyoba remembers what it was.

That was in Polaris, actually, and I never mentioned my last name, so my 'full name has never been mentioned, and that wasn't even on this board. Also, the post has been lost due to the great Polaris data loss of '07. :P

Seeing as the data loss affected only the data - and all of the data - of '06, that would be a more appropriate descriptor.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #54
Originally by Tyranicus:

quote:
That was in Polaris, actually, and I never mentioned my last name, so my 'full name has never been mentioned, and that wasn't even on this board.
All right, so you blocked out your last name. But you did post your first name and last initial on Spiderweb.

Originally by Fatman:

quote:
Thought police. They are everywhere, gathering evidence of your indeiscretions to be used by you in a court of kangaroo.
He's on to us. Kill him. :P

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #55
If you have a chance to read the January 29, 2007 issue of The Wall Street Journal in the last section they look at the lack of privacy on the Web. Some of the hoops you have to jump through to insure that deleted information stays deleted make it barely worth the effort.

Excuse me I need to Google myself to see what's appeared in the last few months.

Edit - That was the last time I ever contribute to a political candidate. He lost and now my name is plastered over all these sites for fund raising. No wonder I get so much junk mail. Then someone else with the same name got a housing permit in another part of the country. At least I hope that and not identity theft.

[ Monday, January 29, 2007 22:18: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #56
Aran, are you going to fix those bugs?

Emperor Tullegolar has been a member of these boards for 37 years. It does feel like a long time, but it's not that long...

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #57
Um, it says "20 weeks" when I look at the page.

And I didn't change a line of code on the site for at least half a week now...

[ Tuesday, January 30, 2007 00:25: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #58
Well, it says
"Member for 37 years 3 weeks 4 days"
when we look at it.
Crazy. He's been a member since before he was born. That's some dedication. :)

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #59
Aran, refer to my earlier post. The 2 bugs I noted don't affect the current month, only earlier months.

Edit: For clarity, I'm referring to this one.

[ Tuesday, January 30, 2007 01:51: Message edited by: Micawber. ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #60
Will be fixed later next week.

Also, in a series of events ironically fitting to this topic, I blabbed a bit too much to my superior, telling him I was writing the documentation of an application on a MediaWiki I set up on my own space.

The subdomain it's on (you've never seen it, and it's password-protected) is separate from all my other stuff, but it's very clearly a .ermarian.net subdomain, and you'd have to be born yesterday or naturally uncurious not to realize that this implies a main website at ermarian.net. And my boss is inquisitive as hell.

And there are some juicy bits in my blog and elsewhere where I might have been somewhat careless with what I said.

For another day or two, the Ermarian Network is therefore down for maintenance, until I figure out his (static) IP and block it from the rest of the site in a non-obvious but effective way.

I'm pretty certain he knows about 10 words of English, but I'd rather not chance it.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #61
Aw, you're no fun. You could use a career change anyway.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #62
It's not like I'd lose my job (and it's unlikely he'd find the 2-3 places where I called him clueless), but it's more an issue that some of the sites are major projects, and I would then be asked pointy questions about spending company time on them.

Not that I'm not tempted to let on what I'm capable of when I actually work on a non-trivial project (which include re-labeling form buttons and changing the table layout of web pages... :( ).

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #63
You know what Dikiyoba likes best about this situation? Polaris's Interim Interim is now down. :P
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #64
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

It's not like I'd lose my job (and it's unlikely he'd find the 2-3 places where I called him clueless)
Well, now I would hope that he doesn't find a way to connect you to "Arancaytar"... which would be hard to do if you look at the Ermarian network... and then google it. It might turn this up.

Actually, the first page of "arancaytar boss" results has "It's official: My boss is a dork" and "My boss wants me to... I feel nauseated just thinking about it." And that doesn't even touch the DailyWTF results on subsequent pages.

See, this is why I got so angry about private chats being made public on certain spidweb satellites. Sigh.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #65
Huh. After all the work of keeping the two personas apart online, you slip up in RL. Bummer.

By Diki:
quote:
You know what Dikiyoba likes best about this situation? Polaris's Interim Interim is now down.
Interim^3! :D

--------------------
Haley: But the three of us are so consistently and staggeringly irresponsible that it's utterly unreasonable to expect us to have been paying attention in the first place.
Roy: That... is actually a very valid point.
(OotS #75)
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #66
Aran, you realy are a case study. *sigh*

In other news, who cares? If your boss gives you crap about things you posted online, explain to him the purpose. It effectively replaces a conversation (dinnertable, etc) and serves to blow off any steam and return your mind to an even keel for maximum efficency at work. Then ask him how many times he complained about your work habits to his wife/lover/boyfriend.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #67
If he complains, tell him he just isn't up to date on current English internet slang. Dorky means stunningly intelligent and devilishly handsome.

—Alorael, who thinks it's time for Polaris to find a new home. Think Djur would be willing to generously offer Desperance hosting?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #68
Taking the site down was a bad idea, because it just promotes curiosity and makes things look worse than they are. Google search of your site can give a very good idea of what used to be there, along with letting a determined reader find most of your blog entries.

Removing some blog entries might be a good idea, but other than that, you probably did more damage by taking the site down than by leaving it up.

About the major projects on your site, I've seen even bigger projects done by people on their free time, so if your boss assumes that you were wasting company time on them, you have every reason to respond with righteous indignation. :) (As long as there is no way for him to double-check what you've been doing at work.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #69
Cooler heads are prevailing, especially since a study of my server logs hasn't yet turned up his IP address - not even on the site I did give him.

So the sites that are of general use (stuff, ppp, endeavor, irc, polaris, feeds) are back up. Blog and the Nanowiki (two sites I know where I ranted) are still down.

*tippity-type*

And for the time being, the admin of the Network is known as...
Chris! :)

(He can still find a lot of stuff just by googling for Ermarian, but paranoia carries me only so far. Even if this thread comes up top.)

[ Tuesday, January 30, 2007 14:53: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #70
Aran you need an autocensor for work.

Actually it's not the straight Google, but what's left in cached version or on something like Wayback. Depending upon your boss' determination and computer skills you might need a new identity.

In the mean time you want want to imply that you suffer from multiple personality disorder and one of your other personalities is a little strange. I heard of one person that had no recollection of his life from waking up in the morning until about noon. He would have pages of class notes from his morning classes and people talking to him about what he had done. He seemed to function fine without knowing what he did for part of the day.

[ Tuesday, January 30, 2007 19:35: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #71
Okay, I think I can lower the defcon level. Logs still don't show any IP from here - even on the mentioned site -, and even if he were sneaky, I'd have heard from him by now. There's only one reason to collect information: To be able to call me to his office for a very embarassing discussion, and that immediately.

If it hasn't happened yet, it won't. Blog and Network are back.

--------------------

Pages