Xeon, The Beginning

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Xeon, The Beginning
Apprentice
Member # 7609
Profile #0
This the only and official poll of Xeon, The Beginning the game I am in the process of making and learning how to make. If you have any questions please ask them here.

XxX
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
Well, good luck, but this really should go in general. Also, rather than a game of 20 questions, why don't you tell us about it first?

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 7609
Profile #2
Ok you want to hear about the game. Well in Xeon The Beginning You start off with 4 or 5 characters if you join "Doom" but if you choose to join the "Rebellion" you only 2 people.

Still with me...OK

You characters can be a Servile, a Shaper (he creates creatures and shapes weapons)... You there?

[ Sunday, October 29, 2006 10:31: Message edited by: XxX ]
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #3
Two things:

1) You are hardly coherent. I have bits and pieces of words, but no really clear flow of thought.

2) This game sounds like fodder for copyright infringement. For now, I'll leave this topic open and give you a chance to address these issues.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
If you want to create a game that has some elements of Avernum and GF, use BoA. You can't quite get the GF engine, but you can definitely use GF graphics, and you won't actually be committing an illegal act, nor will you have to go through the effort of creating your own game engine, which is quite a hassle in itself.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 7609
Profile #5
Gosh are you a...a....a moderator or somthing?

EDIT: Also here are other choices for characters Archers, Soilders, Wizards, Healers and a few other I am debating...

But first of all using the BOA editor... well I can't seen to get it to work on my copy of BoA and if I do that I won't get any money!

XxX

[ Sunday, October 29, 2006 10:45: Message edited by: XxX ]
Warrior
Member # 5302
Profile #6
They are both moderators.

The problem lies in the fact that you have done very little to explain whatever it is you are trying to do. If you are, as you appear to indicate, talking about the creation of some kind of game, it might help if you gave us the premise or better yet, gave us a reason to care. It may sound harsh, but you haven't given nearly enough information for any kind of opinion.

EDIT: Oops. Accidently hit reply to early.

[ Sunday, October 29, 2006 10:49: Message edited by: Arachnid ]
Apprentice
Member # 7609
Profile #7
OK I will try harder to explain my whole thought process of the game Xeon, The Beginning. So when you start of you can either choose to join the "Doom" army as 4 or 5 privets which will go on "special" missions having to with fighting the Rebels, If you join the Rebels you get 1 or 2 Rebel adventurers who are fight for peace and harmony agaist the evil guy "Doom" (King Doom).

That better

XxX
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
Post back here when you have screenshots. Until then, any discussion is probably quite premature.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 7609
Profile #9
Too early for screenshots but I can give you pictures of what wepons are gonna look like

(how do you upload?)
Apprentice
Member # 7609
Profile #10
Too early for screenshots but I can give you pictures of what wepons are gonna look like

[*]IMAGE(http://C:\Documents and Settings\Ruben\Desktop\Xeon, The Beginning\Weapons\Spear 1.jpg)

[ Sunday, October 29, 2006 11:02: Message edited by: XxX ]
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #11
You have to upload images to a web server before you can post them; spiderweb doesn't host images.

Plus if you are hoping to make money by using geneforge/avernum, forget it.

quote:
originally written by XxX:
But first of all using the BOA editor... well I can't seen to get it to work on my copy of BoA and if I do that I won't get any money!

Also: not a poll at all.

[ Sunday, October 29, 2006 11:53: Message edited by: Micawber. ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 7609
Profile #12
Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhy
Apprentice
Member # 7609
Profile #13
How can you stop me from doing that? Besides I was not going to USE Geneforge or Avernum to actually create my game just as an INSPIRATION for it!

XxX
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by XxX:

How can you stop me from doing that? Besides I was not going to USE Geneforge or Avernum to actually create my game just as an INSPIRATION for it!

XxX

If you take elements from Geneforge and Avernum and make a profit, Jeff Vogel will eventually find out. Jeff Vogel will then sue you for all the money you made. Since you'll have no money and some costs, you'll be in trouble. It's better if you just think creatively.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #15
No double posting, please. Consider this your warning.

It doesn't matter. If I decide to make a game that's a thiny veiled game based on Super Mario Bros. then Nintendo has a right to take away all my profits. It's called copyright infringement. Jeff owns the Shapers, Serviles, and all those creations. You cannot make money off of them without his permission.

Not that you probably will anyway. You are barely coherent on these boards, I doubt your game would be much better. Also, the basic outlines you've given (King Doom) sounds pretty weak.

--------------------
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #16
Because it is illegal if it borrows too many elements, that's why. Besides, if the game is going to be good enough to make people actually want to pay for it, the inspiration will have to come from you and not stuff that is exactly like what's already out there.

Dikiyoba.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #17
For upload images, try ImageShack™, or PicFury™, or PhotoBucket™.

quote:
Originally written by *i:

...You are barely coherent on these boards, I doubt your game would be much better...
IMAGE(http://www.faccinebuffe.it/smile/lol/lol2.gif)

[ Sunday, October 29, 2006 12:30: Message edited by: Guardian Magma ]

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #18
XxX, it sounds like an interesting concept. It reminded me to go play some of Geneforge, some of Avernum, and some BoA. Thanks!

:)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #19
XxX, I don't quite understand why you're posting this here. I mean, it's nice that you're making a copyright-infringing low-quality game and all, but where does this board enter into it?

What did you mean by making this a poll, anyway?

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Apprentice
Member # 7609
Profile #20
You think Jeff will give me permission to make a "crappy" game then? If I certainly cannot do you still think Jeff will mind and how can he sue me I think I'm a little young to be sued.

XxX

EDIT: I am posting here to let people know about game and for suggestions. Here is what a Dagger will probably look like (I will shrink it though)

IMAGE(http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/1441/dagger1mt4.th.jpg)

IMAGE(http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/9869/sword1xx5.th.jpg)

[ Sunday, October 29, 2006 13:14: Message edited by: XxX ]
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #21
-X- gives XxX two "Marisela" point in -X-'s Big Book O' Personality Classification for your complete ignorance of what is legal and not, and for having something similar to -X-'s name.

-X- also gives XxX a "Plm" point for his incoherency and ignorance of the forum etiquette.

-X- is also erasing all previous entries into his Big Book O' Personality Classification for reasons best known to -X-.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by XxX:

You think Jeff will give me permission to make a "crappy" game then? If I certainly cannot do you still think Jeff will mind and how can he sue me I think I'm a little young to be sued.
Have you watched any of the court shows? Judge Judy, Judge Joe Brown, etc.? If you did, you'd know that ANYONE can be sued. Whether you're 2 or 22. It's just that, being so young, your parents would have to pay for it. Then you'd probably be grounded for next 1200 years.

I do know where you're coming from though. In fact, I once was pondering doing the same thing you're attempting to do.

Then I hit the age of 12, and snapped myself back into the real world. Trust me, even if you complete this project, it won't work. No matter how much daydreaming and scheming you put into it.

That said, carrying on with this project is copyright infringement, which happens to be a criminal offense. It's no better then thievery, and, in a court of law, will generally be treated as such.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Apprentice
Member # 7609
Profile #23
Yeah I am actually pretty fond of Judge Brown. What if I gave old Jeff all the money. I just like the game.

XxX

EDIT: OK I'm only...(Do I really wanna do this) 10 so what do you expect a huge master pice of graphical gaming. I am still working on names and stuff. Also I have ABSOLOUTLEY no idea how to create a game so I am learning with C++ which is hope-fully the one Jeff used.

[ Sunday, October 29, 2006 13:38: Message edited by: XxX ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #24
I think all talk of copyright infringement and lawsuits is a bit premature. First you need to have actually programmed something. Graphics can come later.

Do you know how to program? What have you programmed so far? How much planning have you done for the technical parts of this game? Anyone can come up with a plot and "borrow" mechanics from another game, but how much work have you done and how much work can you do?

—Alorael, who is sure Jeff would be happy to take any money you made. That assumes, of course, that you make any money. Poor writing, poor plot, and stolen game mechanics are a poor recipe for success. Although you've actually given virtually no information about plot, so that may be an unfair extrapolation from lack of information.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages