2006 Candidates

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: 2006 Candidates
Warrior
Member # 5483
Profile #0
I used this site to obtain information on the 2006 Ohio candidates for Governer, US Representative, Ohio Senator, and Ohio Representative in order to select one to vote for. However, I can't find a site for the rest such as Ohio Attorney General, Secretary of State, and County Auditor. Can anyone help me out here?

--------------------
Ignorance Is bliss -Cypher (Matrix)
Don't think you can; know you can -Morpheus (Matrix)

sanity is overrated :)
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #1
google is your friend

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #2
I can assure you that the current Secretary of State Blackwell will not be running to hold his postition; because he's running for Governor, duh.

Aside from that...
I live in Ohio most of the year, shouldn't I know this?

--------------------
The Silent Assassin invented deranged subterfuge.
He also invented the Internet, pants, the two-way radio, and the ice cream sandwich.
Or at least, that's what our refrigerator magnets read right now.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Warrior
Member # 5483
Profile #3
Unfortunately, this wasn't any help because it simply takes you to their sites and therefore presents very biassed information.

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #4
You want good unbiased information on political candidates? <Unstructured evil laugh> Your best bet is to follow these steps.
1. Find out who is running for each office.
2. Find out in which town/city they reside.
3. Read editorials from each towns newspaper.
4. Visit a selection of bars or coffee shops and ask questions/listen.
5. Notice that it is February and you totally missed the election.

Hey, no one said having an informed electorate was going to be easy.

:P

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Warrior
Member # 5483
Profile #5
quote:

WTH are you talking about? :confused: It's September, with the election coming up in November! (7th)

[ Tuesday, September 19, 2006 15:09: Message edited by: The_Other_Guy ]

--------------------

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by The_Other_Guy:

quote:

WTH are you talking about? :confused: It's September, with the election coming up in November! (7th)

I think Salmon was trying to say that the only way to get "unbiased" information is to do all the research yourself, which would take so long that by the time you've discovered "the truth" the elections will be long over.

PS And if you want to find out unbiased information about the candidates without going through the trouble of following Salmon's advice, the best you could do would be going to their websites and comparing them yourself. Look for what things they focus on and what they are trying to avoid. Look at endorsement list. (If one candidate is supported by Evangelical groups and the other by ACLU and other liberal organizations, that could be enough information already.) If things aren't as clear-cut, you'll just have to analyze all the materials until you figure out which person's position sounds closer to yours. (Yes, that's a lot of work, which is why I vote for less than half of the 20+ positions in each election. I think it's better to skip half the choises than to blindly follow somebody's endorcement list.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #7
I agree it is difficult, at times, to get beyond the obtuse nature of my posts and discern the true meaning. Zeviz does it all the time, as does Slarty and occasionally Aran. Others either do and don't care to comment, or just don't care enough to ask.

Zeviz got it on the nose though. It is an unfortunate byproduct of our society that we have an incredible amount of information, an extremely limited amount of free time, and an overwhelming sense of guilt at failure to faithfully exercise our rights as citizens. Quite a few people don't give a crap, and either vote the party line, their newspaper's editorial recommendations, or according to spouse/parents/church guidance. Some don't vote, actually the majority fail to cast every ballot they are eligible to cast.

Your decision to make an informed vote means you do care, and given that remaining aware of all possible information on every possible electoral decision is improbable, you could be best served to research only a few of the issues/candidates independently. Then, compare your choices to those made by major voting blocs to see if you are actually voting along with others. At that point you can just vote their line, and feel comfortable that your particular governmental needs and priorities will be met.

It's tough though. Here we have all the representative elections plus a bunch of ballot initiatives. Those are the worst, as they are usually sponsored by big business from out of state, and are written so as to appear that small taxpayers (like me) will benefit. In reality they just benefit business, reduce income to the state, and leave Oregon with fewer teachers, undereducated students (and graduates), and no law enforcement.

So good luck, never get so dejected that you stop voting or caring, and discuss your findings with friends and co-workers. Engaging people in political discussions can be just as rewarding as riding a toboggan through a hilly cemetary.

:)

--------------------
quote:

By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #8
I tend to vote for politicians I feel will be the most competent. This means that sometimes I'll vote for candidates that may not be aligned with me on the "hot button" issues. In practice, most politicians won't make a move on any of those issues during their terms anyway - they'll be too bogged down with their jobs, especially for positions such as State Attorney General.

One big warning flag for me though is anyone who is too up front with their religion. I firmly believe religion does not belong in U.S. political decision making. It is the will of the people, not the will of God, that this nation was founded on.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #9
Hmmm. It has been a long time since I lived in a country in which I was a citizen and could vote.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #10
I vote for anyone who was not a lawyer or judge before running for office.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
Leaving actors and former oil firm CEOs.

Er, no thanks. :P

[ Thursday, September 21, 2006 03:46: Message edited by: Drow ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #12
Other than judges who run for elected judgeships, I can't imagine most would run for any other elected office. It's kind of a frame of mind thing, but for those people, getting to be a judge is the pinnacle of their career.

Why not lawyers? Do you have any idea what being a lawyer is about? Lawyers certainly tend to have a better understanding of the statutory process than most other professions.

Not all lawyers are ambulance chasers or evil corporate attorneys. Many lawyers are not litigators. Why the blanket distrust? It seems foolishly unfounded.

[ Thursday, September 21, 2006 05:28: Message edited by: Drew ]
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #13
So speaks a lawyer. :P

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #14
Demonstrating how lawyers are willing to defend the patently wicked.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
It's not that all lawyers are soulless bottom-feeders. That's just a category that includes all the lawyers who run for office.

—Alorael, who should be fair. Whether for office implies soulless bottom-feeding or vice versa has not yet been firmly established, although the causal link is glaringly obvious.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #16
I think corporate business professionals make for much, much worse politicians than lawyers in general. See our current President and Vice, for example, along with almost every other political crony/appointee. At least attorneys are subject to the censure of the ABA.

Also "wicked" and "innocent" are not mutually exclusive terms.

[ Thursday, September 21, 2006 09:13: Message edited by: Drew ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #17
Actually if you had looked at Bush and Cheney's business records you wouldn't want them running government.

Bush ran his own oil company into bankruptcy. It got taken over and he joined the board on the audit committee. When the SEC investigated the company for financial irregularities they concluded that Bush couldn't be charged because he had never done anything (his job).

Cheney back during his Haliburton days set up a shell company in the Caribean to trade with Iran because it was illegal for US companies to do so. The shell was an office that sent mail back to Haliburton headquarters where the "separate" company was a few doors down from Cheney's office. He claims that he had no control over them.

Finding out about politicians make you believe Bismark that "People who like sausages and law shouldn't see how either are made."
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

Lawyers certainly tend to have a better understanding of the statutory process than most other professions.
No disrespect Drew, I find you to be a refreshing person in this imperfect world. But, come on man. 95% of the problem is that lawyers have defined a process in which they are the only profession that is compentent to operate. We (non-lawyers) have been shut out of almost every aspect of life which demands some sort of agreement. The pinnacle, of course, is the agreement between citizen and government. If it is difficult for a well educated and well informed person to comprehend that particular agreement, than I have to conclude that the agreement is not working. It may be correct, legal, terse, verbose, eloquent, or coarse, but it certainly is not useful.

And besides, wasn't it just a few years ago that we decried the humongous DoD contract with Halliburton? In which they were the only bidder? Because they had written the criteria for the RFP? That is why I don't, and won't, trust lawyers that willingly choose to practice government.

Again, no offense, nothing against lawyers in general (RW forum is a different story) and hope that this discussion continues.

Oh, and on topic.

Have the candidates (through League of Women Voters) set up any debates, town halls, or other open forums in which you can hear their views first-hand? It was in just such a venue that I first discovered that Gore was a tree-stump, Bush was a smary know-it-all, and Kerry was on Lithium. It would be refreshing to have a candidate on whom I wished to tender my vote. Maybe Deval Patrick could be that guy. SoT? Thoughts? Does he have what it would take to be a contenda in 10 or 14 years?

--------------------
quote:

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

Also "wicked" and "innocent" are not mutually exclusive terms.
That's the other thing about lawyers. They're pretty quick with concise and incisive arguments.

I'm afraid I have practically no views about US political candidates. As a Canadian living in the US, I was sometimes an interested spectator in the pageant of American politics, but I always figured that it was up to the Americans to get it right. Nation building by foreigners never really works. Now that I'm living in Germany, I'm even more disconnected from politics, because my German isn't yet fluent enough to follow any debate without a lot of effort, and I have even less confidence that I appreciate the local context.

On the other hand, not having lived in Canada for twelve years, I feel out of touch with Canadian politics too. So I've become pretty apolitical, through nomadism. Maybe if I really stay put this time, I'll eventually become a passionate Grün or something.

--------------------
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #20
I would say that the process is dictated by collective action, and wielded by those with money. What those people want is less restriction, not more. Government is complex because attempting to prevent and regulate all the ways people can think of to use and abuse others is a complex task. Is it surprising that interpreting all the manifest requirements necessary to prevent us from taking advantage of one another requires a special field of study?

Red tape exists for a reason. When it gets cut is when we lose. The current administration - big pushers of deregulation - have made this evident. I think simpler government is less effective government.

That said, a simpler tax code would go a long way toward making people happier.

[ Friday, September 22, 2006 10:23: Message edited by: Drew ]
Warrior
Member # 5483
Profile #21
quote:
In reality they just benefit business, reduce income to the state, and leave Oregon with fewer teachers, undereducated students (and graduates), and no law enforcement.
My town has only 1 cop, but that's because we have virtually no crime. This is certainly not true of the nearest city though, in which you NEVER leave your door unlocked, even when you're in it and stopping at a red light. (the latter is a result of prostitutes)
quote:
One big warning flag for me though is anyone who is too up front with their religion. I firmly believe religion does not belong in U.S. political decision making.
I agree 100%
quote:
Actually if you had looked at Bush and Cheney's business records you wouldn't want them running government.

I can't believe he even won the 2000 election and if you ask me, the only reason he won the 2004 election was because his opponent was John Carey, leaving people to choose 1 of 2 evils. It's nice to see my topic has resulted in quite a discussion.

--------------------

By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #22
The evil of misspelling? It's "Kerry."
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #23
He failed to deliver his message on so many levels...

--------------------
quote:

Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #24
Kerry got swift boated to death while the truth was forgotten.

Meanwhile Bush who couldn't finish his safe National Guard duty had that ignored because Dan Rather got set up my fake documents. Bush was never in danger of going to Vietnam because the Pentagon had decided six months before he signed up never to send that unit's plane to Vietnam.

Karl Rove proved that people are still willing to believe a lie over the truth.

Pages