Spiderweb ? Metaphors For Life

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Spiderweb ? Metaphors For Life
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #0
So,

I was patiently worming my way home through traffic this evening, and oddly found myself contemplating the metaphorical mysticalities of the world of Spiderweb. You too may now become unwitting participants in the hereforth offered random drive-by shooting from my brain.

In the Spiderweb game one is born into the world with limited abilities and finite resources. One gets to play God in naturing one or more beings. One must choose wisely in crafting a viable being, yet the possible combinations are myriad. No two beings need be quite alike, and all have some kind of valuable skills to offer into which they will potentially grow and flourish. It would be a boring game indeed, if a being could be created fully adept at all things, or even if any one being could attain such status in the life of the game.

And so it occurred to my carbon-monoxide addled brain that this is a lovely metaphor for our own real existence. Whether you believe in naturing selected by nature or a higher being, we come into this world with finite and curiously specific qualities and capacities somehow, and none of us is set to excel at all things. We are gifted and talented in remarkable, yet limited ways. It takes many, many of us to really start putting together the whole of humanity and its great capacities.

How boring too, would it be if any one person was all things in all amounts. Such a person would need no one, and there would be nothing to work toward or strive after in life. There is blessing in being finite. It forces humanity to draw together if it wishes to flourish ultimately.

So, the next time you assume Deity and nature your freshly-baked PC's according to your arbitrary whims, contemplate, if you will, how wondferful it is that we too are limited and imperfect beings in some way striving for mastery in that which we are capable, and how we best work as a team to bring the most resources to the table.

Another profoundly random offering.

-S- is for Secret Spiderweb Symbolism.

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
Then you go off and play a singleton and forget about team work.

Although your analogy reminds me of the time after a long drive up the moutain to the observatory I found the concept of interchangeable parts hadn't reached the piece of equipment we were attaching to the telescope. That and spare parts when the wire between the detector and the recorder was found to have been left behind where we started the journey. As I was freezing from forgeting a sweater, I realized that astronomy wasn't what I really wanted to do with my life. I'd been cold enough times to appreciate spending my nights in a warm bed instead of a freezing cold observatory waiting for conditions to resolve so something useful could be done.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

How boring too, would it be if any one person was all things in all amounts. Such a person would need no one, and there would be nothing to work toward or strive after in life.
Or how exciting? If you are all things in all amounts there are infinate possibilites and infinate opportunities for your life. Infinate moments to practice compassion, empathy, and love to any and all that are finite.

Now if everyone were all things in all amounts, then it would be boring. Then no one would need anyting. But as long as there is one who is finite, one who is infinite need not be bored.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
quote:

I was patiently worming my way home through traffic this evening, and oddly found myself contemplating the metaphorical mysticalities of the world of Spiderweb.
Is DUI not a crime where you live?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
Philosophy has not yet been classified as a narcotic substance - although it possibly should be. I always fall asleep when reading a long rant. :P

Edit: And he didn't say anything of driving. Not that an intoxicated pedestrian is any less risky for traffic.

[ Tuesday, August 15, 2006 03:01: Message edited by: Drow ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #5
Philosophy is better than road rage when stuck in traffic for extended periods of time.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #6
But philosophy is only marginally better than carbon monoxide when it's all you have to pass the time.

...wait. Synergy?!

And I thought he'd be the one to prove us all wrong...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 8
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Is DUI not a crime where you live?
Ba-dum-tisk!

--------------------
"Names is for tombstones, baby." -Mr. Big
Posts: 699 | Registered: Thursday, September 20 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #8
It was a truly sublime moment. Try not to ruin it.

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #9
quote:

So,

I was patiently worming my way home through traffic this evening, and oddly found myself contemplating the metaphorical mysticalities of the world of Spiderweb. You too may now become unwitting participants in the hereforth offered random drive-by shooting from my brain.

In the Spiderweb game one is born into the world with limited abilities and finite resources. One gets to play God in naturing one or more beings. One must choose wisely in crafting a viable being, yet the possible combinations are myriad. No two beings need be quite alike, and all have some kind of valuable skills to offer into which they will potentially grow and flourish. It would be a boring game indeed, if a being could be created fully adept at all things, or even if any one being could attain such status in the life of the game.

And so it occurred to my carbon-monoxide addled brain that this is a lovely metaphor for our own real existence. Whether you believe in naturing selected by nature or a higher being, we come into this world with finite and curiously specific qualities and capacities somehow, and none of us is set to excel at all things. We are gifted and talented in remarkable, yet limited ways. It takes many, many of us to really start putting together the whole of humanity and its great capacities.

How boring too, would it be if any one person was all things in all amounts. Such a person would need no one, and there would be nothing to work toward or strive after in life. There is blessing in being finite. It forces humanity to draw together if it wishes to flourish ultimately.

So, the next time you assume Deity and nature your freshly-baked PC's according to your arbitrary whims, contemplate, if you will, how wondferful it is that we too are limited and imperfect beings in some way striving for mastery in that which we are capable, and how we best work as a team to bring the most resources to the table.

Another profoundly random offering.

-S- is for Secret Spiderweb Symbolism.

Man, it must be awesome being friends with you. I don't imagine you could go an entire conversation with someone without making wistful reference to how you know them.

I bet that'd never get old.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #10
Anyone who imagines that they have a reliable picture of who someone is from what and how they choose to write on one paricular online forum is likely to be sadly mistaken.

For instance, from what I observe you to write, I picture you as a bitingly bitter and angry person. For all I know, in the real world you're actually an unsinkably cheerful and encouraging sort of chap.

-S- is for Shrug.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 8
Profile #11
quote:

For instance, from what I observe you to write, I picture you as a bitingly bitter and angry person. For all I know, in the real world you're actually an unsinkably cheerful and encouraging sort of chap.
Do me next

--------------------
"Names is for tombstones, baby." -Mr. Big
Posts: 699 | Registered: Thursday, September 20 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #12
Heh, if you insist, my friend.

Scorpius may have questionable taste in animé, but for all I know, he has a deeply adored collection of stuffed bunnies under his bed.

-S- is for Scorpius' Secret Stash

--------------------
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #13
Synergy, you have our Scorples pinned to your cork like a butterfly!

(Thanks Heaven for checking that typo. It was a horrible mental image for s few seconds.)

--------------------
I am a mater of time and how .

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by saunders:

(Thanks Heaven for checking that typo. It was a horrible mental image for s few seconds.)
My morbid curiosity has been triggered. Did it involve the word "cork"?

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #15
I know I'm going to regret this, but curiosity insists I must. Do me?

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Drow:

quote:
Originally written by saunders:

My morbid curiosity has been triggered. Did it involve the word "cork"?

*grins* Might have...

--------------------
I am a mater of time and how .

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #17
Do me as well, if you don't mind.

[ Wednesday, August 16, 2006 08:15: Message edited by: TM Valorim ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #18
What the heck, do me too.

--------------------
Constitutional monarchies are the in monarchies.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written in Toyking's signature:
List of things that are cool toys:
Helium
Alorael

Verbal ellipsis.

—Alorael, who is neither spaghetti nor a toy.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #20
One of the bizarre things about Spiderweb here is how a thread mutates predictably in unpredictable directions, wholly unrelated to its genesis. Kind of like....real life! You never know what's coming next.

Nicothodes: covets the role of being asked to play the second female Terminator™ and keeps a drawer full of sharpened pencils handy just in case....but for all I know she'd be mortified if she actually ever damaged another human being, and perhaps she'd be privately disappointed if the entire SW community stopped accusing her of cuteness. Does anyone know exactly who started that?

Tyranicus may seem potentially unhealthily over-involved in Spiderweb, but who knows, maybe he's really a frumpy, middle-aged man in a black suit working out of a subterranean government laboratory conducting his own psychological experiments here to combat the boredom of his actual job of monitoring every phone call made in America to check for the use of words like "bomb," "shampoo," and "pencil."

And his name still reminds me of a big lumbering dinosaur.

Do I know you, Toyking?

-S- is for Scratching my head.

[ Wednesday, August 16, 2006 09:53: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Nicothodes:

I know I'm going to regret this, but curiosity insists I must. Do me?
I wish I could believe this is the only time an underaged girl has said this to Synergy.

But I know what they say about wishes, horses, and beggars.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #22
Sorry if it disappoints, Worst One, but I find interest in underage girls by anyone to be disturbing, repulsive, and unhealthy. I enjoy interacting with people of a wide range of ages, but anything prurient you are seeing in my intentions is wholly in your own eye. Teasing someone of any age with her cuteness doesn't imply anything sexual, just as I feel free to tell a woman she is beautiful without it meaning I want something from her. We are quick to put each other down, but get all weird about offering actual genuine compliments with no strings attached.

-S- is for yeeeSSSSShhh

P.S. - I've been intending to ignore the trollish bait you keep throwing at me, but I have to admit I'm quite curious now why you seem to have it in for me. I don't even know who you are by your present nick.

[ Wednesday, August 16, 2006 11:46: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #23
quote:

P.S. - I've been intending to ignore the trollish bait you keep throwing at me, but I have to admit I'm quite curious now why you seem to have it in for me. I don't even know who you are by your present nick.
Oh, of course you wouldn't. You're an irritating and faddish newbie at the best of times, but that wouldn't cause me to 'have it in for you' under normal circumstances. What does is that you like to play at being anything but an irritating and faddish newbie in order to appropriate jokes from your elders after they get old and dumb.

EVOL FLUFFY TURTLES BUIAUHBUHAGHAUHAHBHTGH
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #24
Oh, it's our dear friend Custer, back from oblivion. So, you have survived your Last Stand.

Apparently you do not detect the deep affection with which I poke fun at fellow SW game enthusiasts who congregate here.

If by newbie, you mean someone who did not begin his SW career playing Exile, you are correct. You'd also be correct if you guessed I could not care less about arbitrary and insignificant designations such as "newbie."

-S-

--------------------

Pages