The Hintbook

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: The Hintbook
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #0
Hello, everyone. As almost everybody know, I'm Italian. When GF4 will be out, I'll take the hintbook... Exactly, what I will havo to do?

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Warrior
Member # 7223
Profile Homepage #1
Does this really go in Tech Support?

I think you order the CD copy of the game. You ask for the hint book, and they charge the extra money, and send it to you.

--------------------
Polaris

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
- H.P. Lovecraft
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #2
Pretty much. The order form should have a blank for it. Seriously, I don't know why Jeff sends it in paper form these days; a pdf would probably suffice and be cheaper.

At any rate, this is probably more of General question than anything else.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #3
So I have only to choose the Hintbook's button?

--------------------

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #4
Yep. I think it's hard to miss.

Originally by *i:

quote:
Seriously, I don't know why Jeff sends it in paper form these days; a pdf would probably suffice and be cheaper.
Well, I like to read away from the computer sometimes. However, I'm not living a continent away. And a pdf can be updated to a newer version should a major error or a huge number of minor ones be found.

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Typo.

[ Monday, July 03, 2006 11:59: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
You could always print out a PDF.

—Alorael, who doesn't think you have to order the game on CD to get the hintbook. You probably have to pay for shipping even if you just get the registration code and a hint book, but you can get the code.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #6
Exactly. I suppose the one drawback is that it would be easy to distribute and hence no one would need to pay for it if you knew the right people. Nonetheless, just having it in PDF would mean that it would be very cheap, so no real money lost anyway.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
I do wonder why the hintbook pdf shouldn't be free to share, however - isn't the main income from the games themselves? The reasoning of making the games unlockable public shareware (risking piracy), but leaving the hintbook in print form to protect the copyright, strikes me as inconsistent.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #8
The hintbook is usally cheaper when you order the game at the same time. I don't think it matters whether the game is a CD or download. There is still a shipping and handling charge for the book so getting the CD at the same time is better and you have a permanent copy of the registration code on the CD.

A PDF version makes sense since it saves Jeff the time and expense of shipping the books. The major part that you want is the maps.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
The hint book should be a self-contained application that requires a registration code to get more than the hints for the demo area.

—Alorael, who might as well say up front that he is being facetious. He is being facetious. The above is facetious. Okay?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7223
Profile Homepage #10
Except, from a buisness point, that wouldn't make Jeff any money, would it? Nothing is free in the buisness world.

--------------------
Polaris

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
- H.P. Lovecraft
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Elijah:

Except, from a buisness point, that wouldn't make Jeff any money, would it? Nothing is free in the buisness world.
The hintbook would still cost money, I'd imagine, just less. However, it would be a lot more difficult to keep from distributing from a practical sense. That said, once the hintbook is assembled, electrons are cheap and it's all profit.

Besides, there are walkthroughs, FAQs, and these message boards out there to help people anyway.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #12
Well, I wanted to buy it mainly because I'm curious to see how is it, and because probably I'll try to write a walkthroug for GF4, so the HB can be useful. I'm not sure, though. But since I want the game on CD, why don't add the hintbook? Hoping that the future "GF4 Bundle" don't cost more than the other... ;)

--------------------