Use A Debate Tactic Against Itself

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Use A Debate Tactic Against Itself
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #25
Millions of people die of preventable problems every year. We should be out there helping them instead of making pointless emotional appeals that won't change anything.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #26
My fellow members, I hope all of us are aware of the danger presented by populist appeals used by unscrupulous leaders to enflame the masses. These appeals often lead to restrictions on our rights and liberties as members of these forums and the society at large. I encourage all of you to join me in protecting our freedoms against such dangerous tactics. Let’s all work together to stop these populist appeals and other attacks on our free speech.

[ Monday, June 19, 2006 11:59: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #27
I'll give you five dollars if you stop posting, okay?

—Alorael, who may have to switch to a career in politics?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #28
Maybe I am missing the point here, but I do not consider Hawking's comment about Nazi references a slippery slope argument. To me, what he is saying is awfully true; when people want to exaggerate, they go for the Hitler card.

But that is not what peaks my curiosity at the moment. Are the basic fallacies of logic and debate taught to most people who take a standard high school and college path without joining a debate team? Or does the topic just attract the elitists and the oratoricallly curious?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Khoth:

Millions of people die of preventable problems every year. We should be out there helping them instead of making pointless emotional appeals that won't change anything.
That's beautiful. :) SoT's was great as well.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

But that is not what peaks my curiosity at the moment. Are the basic fallacies of logic and debate taught to most people who take a standard high school and college path without joining a debate team? Or does the topic just attract the elitists and the oratoricallly curious?
Those, and practically anyone on discussion boards. Whenever you are in a serious debate on the internet, you can expect to have fallacy accusations thrown at you as if you were talking to philosophers. :P

That said, I did get basics of logic in high school, in a required subject ("Theory of Knowledge").

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #31
I learned them in my mandatory college speech course, Intro to Technical Presentations.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #32
By Garrison:
quote:
Why must you ask rhetorical questions?

edit: cAPS.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
If one of my daughters actually manages to win the hero and openly defies me, I will congratulate her on her choice, declare a national holiday to celebrate the wedding, and proclaim the hero my heir. This will probably be enough to break up the relationship. If not, at least I am assured that no hero will attack my Legions of Terror when they are holding a parade in his honor.

[ Monday, June 19, 2006 19:06: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #33
Ahh, what a wonderful thing it is, then, that many now know how to formally deconstruct others' arguments while offering no solutions themselves. I still feel the need to reiterate my point though: the Hitler card is too overused and it does preclude imagination and creativity. Too many amateur stories end with Nazis taking over the world.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #34
Stop the violence, or I'll blow these boards to bits!

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #35
What specious lacks in taste, vacuous makes up for in volume.

Protesting hippies of the 70's ushered in the new era of the lower class military.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #36
IMAGE(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/Dallerdin/political-1.jpg)

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #37
Why oh why do people insist on posting in discussion topics in a way that adds nothing to the argument but simply boosts their post count?

Why do they ask rhetorical questions which are fundamentally empty and almost invariably ultimately missplet?

--------------------
I am a mater of time and how .

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #38
because (a) THEY think it does
(b) THEY want/need to add to their post count and so look for oppportunities to do so
(c) THEY don't reflect on their argument but instead create an immediate response to something they just read
(d) THEY are looking to clarify a point not just expand on it
(e) many other plausible reasons exist.

Rhetorical questions often invite debate on a topic.

Nature of the beast (internet contact for clarification)

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #39
Sometimes a discussion slows to stagnation without the addition of newcomers, however irrelevant their actual input might be. They help spur the topic, often in new directions.

The trick is not merely to be able to add ultimately meaningless drivel to a discussion, but rather to do so in a way that disguises the palaver as something useful and profound.

QED.

--------------------
====
====
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #40
I may burn Jews in an oven, but you are a Nazi.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #41
Question: How many TM's does it take to change a light bulb?

Answer: One, becuase there only IS one, you corpulent optimist.

:)

[ Tuesday, June 20, 2006 19:09: Message edited by: Robinator, #034 ]

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'

Pages