Anonymity and online identity, yet again.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Anonymity and online identity, yet again.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #50
Originally by Tyranicus:

quote:
...and once, John Thaddeus Poe H---. I guess they wanted to cover all the bases.
I wish people were a little better at covering all the bases when it comes to my name. Too many forms have only one tiny blank that doesn't fit one of my middle names, let alone both of them. Also, I had a teacher once who went on a lengthy rant about having two middle names without checking to make sure that no one in the class had two of them.

And that's just Dikiyoba's middle names. When it comes to Dikiyoba's first name, many people are caught unawares in the outfield. At least Dikiyoba has a last name that people have no trouble getting right.
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #51
quote:
Originally written by Oh my god, that last name was lame:

Google's got nothing on me. Well, at least, I'm not going to search through all 6,240,000 results to check. >.>
A couple years a go I did the same thing, came up with two results on crap about me. Strange.
I don't know if it still will do this.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #52
I noticed that the link on TM's site is out of date anyway (still pointing to the old Geocities page), so if you read this TM, perhaps when you next update your page you could both change the link and take out the real name. :)

[ Wednesday, June 14, 2006 04:25: Message edited by: Drow ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #53
Frankly, my public life is my public life. And with the way that I live my life, the only things that should make a potential employer think about turning me down are my outspoken political and religious beliefs, and the fact that I can't shut up.

My personal Google results:
(Name variation / hits / actually me)

Full Name (First, Middle, last) / 0 / 0
Legal name (First, Middle Initial, Last) / 288 / 0
Given name (First, Last) / 225,000 / 1
(Nickname, Last) / 43,400 / 1
Writing signature (First initial, Last) / 527,000 / 0
AIM screenname / 30 / 30
Moniker (all variations) / 56 / 56

It was so not worth doing that.

What I find funny is that I don't really make an effort to remain anonymous. Heck, anyone who wanted could contact me, hunt me down, show up at my front door with a gun, whatever.
And yet I only have two hits on Google.
:cool:

--------------------
The Silent Assassin doesn't have to google.
If he needs to find something out about someone, he prefers to do it in person.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #54
Out of curiosity, I just Googled Lenar's screenname to see if any of the results were from Shadow Vale. Oddly enough, none of them were. Has Google forgotten about me? :P

After further research, I have discovered that Google only searches a few of my chatlogs, and that they are "supplemental results". Apparently, there is too much markup language in the pages for easy search engine use. Odd that.

[ Wednesday, June 14, 2006 19:31: Message edited by: United States of Tyranica ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #55
Well, my name seems to be more common then I thought. I found a lot of 'Ariana M-----' and none of them were me, at least not by page 43. The closest you can get to me is my aunt's book. For the random people, two stuck with me-apparently I just turned 1, while having died 100 years ago.
A google search for Nicothodes mostly turns up an architect in Florida, with a few links to Spiderweb.

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #56
ben4808 grabs 1690 results, all linking to my personal activity. It must be a rare moniker indeed.

--------------------
-ben4808
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #57
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicelt:

Out of curiosity, I just Googled Lenar's screenname to see if any of the results were from Shadow Vale. Oddly enough, none of them were. Has Google forgotten about me? :P

After further research, I have discovered that Google only searches a few of my chatlogs, and that they are "supplemental results". Apparently, there is too much markup language in the pages for easy search engine use. Odd that.

One hint for improving search engine recognition: Validate your html with this. :)

At last count, Arancaytar has 40,000 results, although it was at almost 70,000 at one point...

I remember a day when there were 300 (fall 2004) and 21 in Summer 2003, and back in April 2003 when I first used the name, there were none at all...

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #58
Aran, you're missing the point. This is a good thing. The less Google knows about my site the better. ;)

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #59
My name is fairly common (ok not too much, but enough). It's bad that the first couple of searches relate me to the boards. However, I can always deny that's me. Not sure it would work if they go to the extreme of reading my posts, but I can always try. My full name brings no results at all and my last name doesn’t relate to me or the boards at all. So with employers I suppose I'm safe. I've never posted my phone number, address, or even last name online. Not many people have the above

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Infiltrator
Member # 187
Profile #60
I googled my real name cause you guys got me thinking about it. Many matches, none me. I'm in the clear. :P

--------------------
He may look like an idiot, and talk like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #61
quote:
Originally written by United States of Tyranica:

Aran, you're missing the point. This is a good thing. The less Google knows about my site the better. ;)
I wouldn't rely on bad formatting though - the bot might eventually parse the page anyway. However, you can keep out all bots from your entire site by simply making a text file called robots.txt with the following content (more info):

User-agent: *
Disallow: /
And upload it so it's available on http://www.shadowvale.net/robots.txt . All search engines will comply with this. :)

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #62
Is it seriously that easy?

That seems much too simple.

[ Wednesday, June 21, 2006 20:10: Message edited by: Tyran ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #63
It does, but that's the way it works. All 'good' robots stick to the rules (of course the ones that harvest emails and post comment spam don't), so if you put User-agent: *, it matches any robot that looks at it, and the Disallow: / blocks the entire directory tree. ;)

I was just about to see if I'd gotten the link right and then saw the robots.txt was already there. Took me a moment to realize you just uploaded it... as it is now, it should work fine.

[ Wednesday, June 21, 2006 20:22: Message edited by: Drow ]

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #64
Hmm, I always assumed that since one needs to possess a facebook account to view someone else's profile, it was fairly safe to disclose somewhat in my profile.

Perhaps it's time to stop calling myself a "semi-authoritarian communist" and also to omit "hitting the bottle and perhaps the bowl" from my activities list.

By the way, hello again. Why is ben going by a username so similar to my own?

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #65
Holy smokes! Hello, Stug - it's been quite a while. I hope life finds you well. :)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #66
For anyone who's wondering, this is Stughalf's first post since December, and he hasn't posted regularly since last July. Welcome back!

Ben's name is inscrutable, so don't even think about scruting it.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #67
Thank you for the warm welcomes back! I am most probably not back to stay- I can hardly imagine becoming as frequent a poster as I once was. But I'll most probably spend some of the expendable time I have at my disposal nowadays around here.

Things are going fairly well, Drew, or as well as they can be expected to go. Not much has changed- I am still thoroughly chopstached (the damned persistent thing survived through two sibling weddings despite all the disapproval, so it's likely here to stay). I still retain a love for those creatures of the genus Mustela, and I still wear the hat. I've transferred schools (to the connected University of Illinois at Chicago) so as to live at home and actually manage my schoolwork. I'm in summer school at the moment there, and although it's certainly rather hellish, it'll pass soon enough. Planning on getting a job as a zookeeper as soon as I graduate, so hopefully that goes without a hitch.

I suppose it's time to investigate a few more threads. It's oddly satisfying to be back, I must say.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #68
quote:
Originally written by Stugri-La:

Thank you for the warm welcomes back! I am most probably not back to stay- I can hardly imagine becoming as frequent a poster as I once was. But I'll most probably spend some of the expendable time I have at my disposal nowadays around here.

Things are going fairly well, Drew, or as well as they can be expected to go. Not much has changed- I am still thoroughly chopstached (the damned persistent thing survived through two sibling weddings despite all the disapproval, so it's likely here to stay). I still retain a love for those creatures of the genus Mustela, and I still wear the hat. I've transferred schools (to the connected University of Illinois at Chicago) so as to live at home and actually manage my schoolwork. I'm in summer school at the moment there, and although it's certainly rather hellish, it'll pass soon enough. Planning on getting a job as a zookeeper as soon as I graduate, so hopefully that goes without a hitch.

I suppose it's time to investigate a few more threads. It's oddly satisfying to be back, I must say.

Nice to know you kept the hat, and nice to see you back. :)

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #69
I get well ZERO results for my Name. That's because I fairly sure I'm the only person in the world with that particular last name(s). Why? Because my last name(s) are first my mothers then my fathers with a hyphen between. Its like if "Bob Simpson and Sandy Roberts" had a kid = Ben Roberts-Simpson. Mine is better with its alliteration "RR". Is this common someplace in the world? I'm just now thinking of some old countries in Europe perhaps.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #70
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

... Its like if "Bob Simpson and Sandy Roberts" had a kid = Ben Roberts-Simpson. Mine is better with its alliteration "RR". Is this common someplace in the world? I'm just now thinking of some old countries in Europe perhaps.
This was reasonably common for aristocracy, probably when the wife's family was more important than the husband's, so the children got both names. Maybe this happened when the woman was the only hier, so her children inherited her title, but this is just a guess.

The hyphenated names also seem somewhat popular in modern America, as a compromise when the wife doesn't want to take husband's name, but the couple still wants to have the same name.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #71
I've actually met more couples who kept their own surnames but combined them with a hyphen for their kids. What will the next generation do? The world isn't quite ready for Marie-France-Tessier-Ashpools.

—Alorael, who also knows a couple that combined the first half of one name with the last half of the other. The result was understandably unique, particularly in light of the different national origins of the names.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #72
My wife is pretty adamant about keeping her last name, and has been running a steady campaign for me to change my last name to hers. While her name is more interesting than mine, I'm still a bit reluctant to change it. At this point, it will probably only occur as a part of stakes on the next game the University of Kentucky Wildcats basketball team plays against the Duke Blue Devils.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #73
My parents made a deal that the first daughter would have my mother's last name, and the second my father's. The first son would have my father's last name and the second my mother's. So, one of my two sisters has my mother's last name, and my other sister and I have my father's.

[ Thursday, June 29, 2006 20:39: Message edited by: Tyran ]

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #74
When my grandparents got married they both changed their last names to a completely different last name.

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils

Pages