Slarty Does Spidweb -- Explicit Language

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Slarty Does Spidweb -- Explicit Language
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #0
Slarty -- Metaphor of Babylon
Probably my most distinguishing feature on Spidweb is my tendency to concoct sets of extended metaphors and allegories involving its members. I spout off about ancient Mesopotamia. And I have somehow acquired a reputation as a bit of a whore. The implication of the Whore of Babylon is mostly ironic, though it provides some further fodder for the first, religious cycle of custom titles, of which I am the matrix, particularly through its adoption by Madonna.

Alec -- Pope Tart
Pope + woman of loose morals and provocative dress = an antipope with fatty, fruity filling. Add to that a tart tongue and you've got Alec.

TM -- Holy of Holies
TM is often referred to as the King of Kings. Correspondingly, the Holy of Holies is the place, in many religions, where divine presence manifests itself. Explaining further might break the CoC; suffice it to say that there's more than one way to fill a holy.

Jewels -- Wife of Baath
Wife of Bath + Baath party. It just felt right. I decided from the beginning the Jewels would require a somewhat contradictory title.

Ash Lael -- Saw Massacre
Ash is violent, or so we pretend, and he is also willing to give witness of his faith, which of course is founded on the massacre of Jesus. More importantly, the final boss of Final Fantasy Legend is God -- known in that game as Creator. Due to a bug, Creator could be defeated by a single strike from a chainsaw, called a saw. So Ash has seen the massacre of Creator on a number of levels.

Archmage Alex -- Stickmata Damacy
Stick figures + stigmata + rolling ball of stuff that collects more stuff as it rolls = stick figure limbs poking dolorously out of strange places going to stranger places = Alex

Delicious Vlish -- Tentacle Crepe
There's very little to point out here except perhaps its contrast to a certain phrase sometimes abused by oldbies.

Salmon -- Thumper
In the wonderful game Think Quick! (1987) the Thumper was an device whose rhythmic pulsing would attract Slime Worms, keeping them away from you. That seemed appropriate for Salmon, as did the other, more obvious connotations to his title.

Arancaytar -- Gertrude Blanch's Secrets
Gertrude's Secrets + Gertrude Blanch = Crazy collecting compiling categorizing calculating computer geek/goose involved in espionage = Arancaytar

Student of Trinity -- Dr. Light
Dr. Light, besides having an appropriately professorial and physicic name, was the creator of Mega Man, originally known as Rock.

Ed -- Flip Top Flop
Another of Dr. Light's creations was the robot known alternately as Eddie and Flip Top, who was a walking suitcase. Ed, of course, changed his mind frequently, oscillating between demanding forgiveness, and lobbing insults involving various foods. In the end he was a flop.

MagmaDragoon -- Lan Taxative
Magma has a tendency to excrete large quantities of thin posts, as if under the effect of Lantax. This can easily become a LAN tax. A more positive interpretation might liken it to Land Tax, as something that gets inevitable waste out of the way. Finally, Magma is young, eager, and apparently obsessed with Mega Man Battle Network, making him a perfect Lan Hikari.

Kelandon -- Warlord, Interrupted
Keldon Warlord is interrupted; so is Girl; I see a resemblance in both.

Fatman -- Vitameatavegamin Girl
"Do you pop out at parties? Are you unpoopular? Well, the answer to all your troubles is in this bittle lottle!" Like Vitameatavegamin, Fatman has all the answers. Also:
"Lucy, you cannot be in the show!"
"Oh, now Ricky!"

Dareva -- Patty O'Hearst
Patty O'Green + Patty Hearst = a happy-go-lucky terrorist faghag color-bringer who sees both sides of things = Dareva

Djur -- Little Orphan Andrea
Little Orphan Andrea

Thuryl -- Oh, Yeaahh!
Kool-Aid Man: sponsor of death, bearer of disturbing smiley faces, idol of bizarre anthropomorphisms eveywhere.

*i -- King Mondo I
Relhan canon + King Mondo wielding the Sword of Damocles = An administrator-king of a dynasty with a questionable name in the middle of nowhere dangling Damocletian questions over our heads = Stareye

Drakefyre -- 98 Debris
98 Degrees + secrets that will have to remain apocryphal in order to preserve the mystique that is Drakefyre = the mystique that is Drakefyre

Tyranicus -- Sir Banks-a-Lot
Tyra Banks + "Baby Got Back" = Pavlovian hair trigger reaction to the mention of a certain female celebrity with a certain prominent feature in some contrast to himself = Tyranicus

Ephesos -- Buddy Holly
Buddy [i]Holly[/i] had a backing band called The Crickets. This is another one that just felt right.

Dikiyoba -- Lucia Pamelora
Lucia Pamela + Fyora = an eccentric fire-breathing artist who was awarded a medal for her efforts during the War and whose odd, imaginative storytelling achieved cult popularity = Dikiyoba

Nicothodes -- If Looks Could Kill
I got a cookie :D

Goldenking -- My Panasse!
Cyrano de Bergerac flitted around as if nothing could touch him; his last words in Rostand's play were "My panache!" The most easily identifiable "golden king" in mythology was of course Midas. After losing his golden touch, Midas had his ears turned to those of an ass because he supported Pan ahead of Apollo in a contest. There is also The Golden Ass of Apuleius, featuring another overenthusiastic, ambitious man who is transformed.

Infernal -- Lichess Oblige
Lich + Noblesse Oblige + (+ fem. -ess | - fem. -e) = Infernal, roughly

Synergy -- Panglossary
Pangloss was a teacher of "metaphysico-theologico-cosmo-lonigology" who argued that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and other cheery things. Pangloss can be translated from the Greek as both the scholarly "all languages" and the less complimentary "all tongue." 'Nuff said.

Marlenny -- Dominicanatrix
I lost my cookie :D

Alorael -- Pinhead Astronomer
A butthead astronomer with his telescope reversed, counting dancing angels on the head of a pin. That's Alorael all right.

That also makes 38 links to Wikipedia, which must be a record for a single post. I hope you've enjoyed my little diversion!

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #1
on knees with arms straight, pointing past my head, bending deeply at the waist until palms strike the ground, and again...you get the picture

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Germany Wins:

on knees with arms straight, pointing past my head, bending deeply at the waist until palms strike the ground, and again...you get the picture
And it's a very strange picture indeed.

(crickets)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Slarty:

TM -- Holy of Holies
TM is often referred to as the King of Kings. Correspondingly, the Holy of Holies is the place, in many religions, where divine presence manifests itself. Explaining further might break the CoC; suffice it to say that there's more than one way to fill a holy.

http://www.geocities.com/terrorsmartyr/scenariosboa/

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #4
Of the 28 members you gave a title, only 13 don't have one. Of those 13, one is banned and one has "left".

Nice to see you provided insight into the mind of the Slarty-man.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #5
quote:
Slarty -- Metaphor of Babylon
Probably my most distinguishing feature on Spidweb is my tendency to concoct sets of extended metaphors and allegories involving its members. I spout off about ancient Mesopotamia.
At least you're at the right university to spout off about Mesopotamia. Only there would the local public library have academic texts on Sumerian tablet translations (I had a strange childhood reading them. They were always in the to be shelved cart.).
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
Regarding my title, it doesn't hurt that Kool-Aid Man's catchcry was also appropriated by Duff Man of The Simpsons fame, and I am of course known for my habitual drunkenness.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #7

quote:
MagmaDragoon -- Lan Taxative
Magma has a tendency to excrete large quantities of thin posts, as if under the effect of Lantax. This can easily become a LAN tax. A more positive interpretation might liken it to Land Tax, as something that gets inevitable waste out of the way. Finally, Magma is young, eager, and apparently obsessed with Mega Man Battle Network, making him a perfect Lan Hikari.
A good description of myself here. I would write more, but I won't. Guess why. ;)

PS: I'm obsessed with anything of MegaMan. Look my PDN! :P

quote:

Student of Trinity -- Dr. Light
Dr. Light, besides having an appropriately professorial and physicic name, was the creator of Mega Man, originally known as Rock.
I knew I was right! :D

[ Monday, June 12, 2006 01:42: Message edited by: MagmaDragoon ]

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Sprang:

Of the 28 members you gave a title, only 13 don't have one. Of those 13, one is banned and one has "left".
Personally, I'll take one of these over the considerably more random titles...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #9
*reads Wife of Bath*

Hmmm...
Lucky...
Uh-oh...
He-he...
Uh-huh...
Uh-huh...
:eek:
Aahhh...
Hahaha...
Huh?
So. Not. Fair.

Very nice. Though I admit, I had to read the Modern English version. I'm just not trained well enough in Old English.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #10
quote:

Infernal -- Lichess Oblige
Lich + Noblesse Oblige + (+ fem. -ess | - fem. -e) = Infernal, roughly

Very good, I must say.

Although my personal beleifs are that "noblesse oblige" only refers to those that are elected into position. If people get big through some means other than the goodwill of the people then they owe nothing back. But, unfortunately, are still inclined to give back anyway.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #11
Originally by Slartucker:

quote:
Dikiyoba -- Lucia Pamelora
Lucia Pamela + Fyora = an eccentric fire-breathing artist who was awarded a medal for her efforts during the War and whose odd, imaginative storytelling achieved cult popularity = Dikiyoba
Well, I got the Lucia Pamela bit right.

Dikiyoba can't believe that Dikiyoba missed the fyora bit, though.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by radix malorum est cupiditas:

But, unfortunately, are still inclined to give back anyway.
And who are you refering to?

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

At least you're at the right university to spout off about Mesopotamia. Only there would the local public library have academic texts on Sumerian tablet translations (I had a strange childhood reading them. They were always in the to be shelved cart.).
Heh. That was in fact the reason I went to uchicago, though I eventually thought better of a life spent poring over tablets, and I'm gone now. Did you grow up in Hyde Park?

...mmm, Duff Man.

As my last variant PDN insinuated, I actually prefer the Gawain version of the Wife of Bath story, with Dame Ragnell.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Hastur ^ 3:

quote:

Anybody that, making his/her fortune purely through capitalistic means, decides to give to people who didn't do anything to get him/her to where s/he is.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #15
Yeah, I grew up in Hyde Park. Is there a hotel left there that the U of C hasn't bought for student housing? I spent most of my time at the Museum of Science and Industry since it was less than a half mile from my home.

You came too late to see the anti-ballistic missle base they used to have along Lake Michigan to defend Chicago from the Soviet Union. After the SALT treaty they took it down. Then I moved to Tucson and was surrounded by another one. Anyone else have something weird like that they thought grew up thinking was normal?
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #16
Actually, the Shoreland is being turned into condos after I think this year. I live very close to MSI as well. I will miss the Point when I'm gone.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
quote:

quote:
Originally written by Hastur ^ 3:

quote:

Anybody that, making his/her fortune purely through capitalistic means, decides to give to people who didn't do anything to get him/her to where s/he is.

I suppose our views differ on that point then.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #18
Yes, I never said I'd refrain from irony. Good god no.

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #19
IMAGE(http://stuff.ermarian.net/salmon/smash.gif)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #20
I think myself and TM should both get the title "Registered Sig Offender".

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Babelicious
Member # 39
Profile Homepage #21
I already have a title. The one you chose sucks.

--------------------
Pygmalion | Desperance | Djur
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #22
Real creative, Slarty

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.