Games

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Games
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #0
Anyone know where i can get some good games to add to my small collection.

--------------------
I hate you all
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #1
Spiderweb Software
GameSpot

--------------------
-ben4808
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #2
Just to make myself clear i own a mac and wish to download games not purchase CD's of games i have not yet tried. :)

--------------------
I hate you all
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #3
These games are free/free to try and it's not a company site, so I'll post a link.

[ Tuesday, May 02, 2006 18:25: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #4
Thank you.
Now i shall grow a great collection then play them until sanity returns to me! :D :D :D
Any other suggestion of games are still welcome.

--------------------
I hate you all
Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #5
Escape Velocity:Nova from Ambrosia Software. Great game. You play as a new spaceship captain. From there, it's up to you.
Lugaru from Wolfire Entertainment. DON'T discount the game on the basis of that it's about fighting rabbits.

--------------------
Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Mr.Bookworm:

Escape Velocity: Nova from Ambrosia Software.
Classic. Is it just me, or have a lot of regulars here played this game? I recall references to it in Alo's monikers.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #7
The local shop. :P

To people posting links: I would be careful. Some of this might border on advertising.

But a reccomendation: Try buying one of those discs with heaps of games piled in. That's where many of us found SpiderWeb.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #8
There have been multiple conversations about EV: Novah... since I've been here. So, yeah, it seems to be popular.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:

Escape Velocity: Nova from Ambrosia Software.
Classic. Is it just me, or have a lot of regulars here played this game? I recall references to it in Alo's monikers.

You have to play that game at least once before you become a true Polaran, you realize. :)

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #10
I will play it, in due course. Once I get a new computer. Probably a month or two.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #11
Have any of you ever played Lugaru?

--------------------
Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 125
Profile #12
The demo.

Many other Ambrosia Software games are quite good, and they're all shareware too.

I highly recommend Kenta Cho's games, which are incredibly addictive and completely free. Many Mac ports are available at http://shinh.skr.jp/osxbin/ (try Gunroar, Torus Trooper, A7Xpg, Tumiki Fighters, and Parsec 47 at that page; I haven't tried the others), and one more, rRootage, can be found at http://homepage.mac.com/qtq/rr/index_e.html. These may not appeal to everyone, but I really enjoy them, and have spent far too much time saying "just one more game, and I'll stop." Plus, they're free, so what do you have to lose? Your sanity and free time? Nah, you're at Spidweb, those don't matter.

Enjoy!

<edit>
If it's frowned upon to link to Ambrosia I'll gladly take that down. That seems a little excessive, but this is Jeff's livelihood, I guess. I can't see any objection to posting the links to the other games, unless we shouldn't promote anything here which will take people's attention away from Spiderweb games. This is clearly not the case, so they shall remain.
</edit>

[ Wednesday, May 03, 2006 00:12: Message edited by: Croikle ]

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #13
quote:

Escape Velocity:Nova from Ambrosia Software. Great game. You play as a new spaceship captain. From there, it's up to you.
Lugaru from Wolfire Entertainment. DON'T discount the game on the basis of that it's about fighting rabbits.

Both games are fantastic. I bought both. Good choices.

I add Uplink, from Ambrosia Software.

Long life for the Polaris! :) (both the Boards and the Race)

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Spring:

I will play it, in due course. Once I get a new computer. Probably a month or two.
If your computer is too old to play EV: Nova, you really need that upgrade. :P

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
It's not *that* ancient. I also have a computer that has performance issues with EV Nova - the frame rate drops to a few per second or so once in a while.

Admittedly, said computer is around six years old. :P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by $ v. #:

EV: Novah
Only if someone does a total conversion for Avernum in space. Someone talked about it, actually. Aran, maybe? Logo?

—Alorael, who can't remember any EV:N monikers he's had. He does have, play, and greatly enjoy the game, though.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by There is no moniker.:

—Alorael, who can't remember any EV:N monikers he's had. He does have, play, and greatly enjoy the game, though.
I think it was something like Gungungunian...

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 125
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Dagon:

Admittedly, said computer is around six years old. :P
Well, I've played it on a Beige G3, which is several years older than that. It took at least 5 minutes to load, but it played fairly well, I think.

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #19
You could also try checking out abandonware on the net. These are computer games that have been abandoned (no longer commercially available for purchase). I believe one such site is the underdogs. I may even still have a link for htat site - but it may be PC games only. Also, some abandonware may not yet have lost its copyright so it may have legal issues.

Edited comments. Found my link and tried it, still active. Contains abandonware downloads (technically illegal software, check the FAQ at the site), shareware and freeware links - it even has links to the official spidweb site for downloading Avernum, Geneforge.

Given that abandonware is technically illegal I wont post a link, but if you read the FAQ the site distinguishes itself from warez software (morally acceptable?). And, for active software, such as spidweb, you cannot download from the site but instead are redirected to official sites.

Jeff may wish to comment on such sites?

[ Wednesday, May 03, 2006 10:28: Message edited by: Strontium ]

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #20
I've always felt vaguely uncomfortable about abandonware sites and have only downloaded games that I own. This makes more sense than you might think since some of the really ancient games I own I wouldn't even know how to put on a modern computer. Like the Ancient Art of War, which requires a Mac Plus emulator to play. Ah - THAT was a fun game!

Yep, we used to have real time strategy games back when our computers came with 128k of RAM, no hard disk, a 2 megahertz CPU, a 9 inch black and white monitor, and a (literally) 2-bit display. And for the record, I'm 29, but I was a supermegalucky kid whose parents bought a Mac when they first came out.

Z

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #21
The argument for abandonware is that the game is no longer being commercially marketed, (legitimate consumers are being thwarted) and the companies which have abandoned the games show no signs of ever reviving the franchise, supporting current or future users or protecting their investment. So, abandonwaree is technically illegal but morally not. Not a distinction that keeps you on the right side of the law but eh? who's going to go after you? Apparently the site I suggested will go so far as to remove games from their site if requested to do so by the manufacturer/copyright owner etc. Still, questionable? As far as the freeware/shareware side of the site, no moral/legal issues here.

Hey, they even show up in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_of_the_Underdogs

[ Wednesday, May 03, 2006 11:12: Message edited by: Strontium ]

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #22
While I am against piracy, abandonware is a completely different matter. If it is impossible for me to buy a game from its original creator/publisher, I have no problem downloading it. (I know that it's theoretically possible to find anything on e-bay, but that wouldn't benefit the game's original creator/publisher in any way.) As for it being technically illegal, so is driving faster than the speed limit. And unlike downloading abandonware, driving above speed limit could hurt people, because it makes you more likely to have an accident.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #23
quote:
I was going to download it after playing EVO.
But i never had 5 hours to wait then but i do now. :D

EDIT: Its going to take around 9 hours to download!!! :eek:

[ Wednesday, May 03, 2006 12:35: Message edited by: Bomber ]

--------------------
I hate you all
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Bomber:

I was going to download it after playing EVO.
But i never had 5 hours to wait then but i do now. :D

EDIT: Its going to take around 9 hours to download!!! :eek:

Don't worry, the connection will probably fail before then. :D

But seriously, 56k modems are a serious inconvenience. Rest assured, if you get the download to work, EV Nova is far, far, far, far (etc.) better than EVO. I played EV Nova first, and couldn't bring myself to play through EVO. That's how much of an improvement Nova is.

--------------------

Pages