wat is better?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: wat is better?
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

Corrected version below. (Corrections in italics.) If I've made any mistakes, I claim the "not a native speaker" defense. :)
quote:
Originally written by Archmagus Micael:

Llama, please do me a favour, and edit your first post to fix the spelling. I know that you didn't mean to do it, but it does annoy me/people.

This is what it should say:
"What is better?"
Or, more accurately:
"Which is better"

Besides, as well as pleasing me, it might cause the others to lay off a bit.

Magmadragon, you deserved this for your messed up corrections. What goes around, comes around, to use an ancient saying.

- Archmagus Micael

Okay. Most of those I think I can apologise for. llama's name on the other hand is precisely how he spells it. I don't have to right to change that.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #26
quote:

Ashby, were you talking to me? If you were, I can't see any spelling mistake.
In addition to preaching correct spelling, you are also preaching correct grammar and correct language in general.

llama's name is perfectly fine. He chose to make his name an exception to the rules of capitalization, and so that exception still applies. Also, right now there is only one inconsistency, that being between llama's name and everyone else's. Capitalizing the name in some places but not others would add inconsistency.

quote:

llama, please do me a favo[1-remove:u]r[2-remove:,][2-add::] [2-remove:and] edit your first post[2-remove:,] and fix the spellings. I know you didn't[3-change:don't] mean to do it, but it does annoy [4-add:unspecified].

This is what it should say:
"What is better?"
or[5-add:,] more accurately:
"Which is better[6-add:?]"

Besides[7-remove:, as well as] pleasing me, the others might lay off a bit.

Magma[8-add: ][8-change:d]Drago[8-add:o]n, you deserved this for your messed[9-add:-]up corrections. What goes around [10-remove:,] comes around, to use an ancient saying.

- Archmagus Micael

This is how I would have fixed the post.

1-This is a board based in America. American English is the default language for the spoken and written word. Since this board is not specified as being something other than the default, it is assumed that on this board the default (American English) is written.

2-"do me a favor", "edit your first post", and "fix the spellings" all apply to the same idea. When simply joined by an "and" the meaning changes to them applying to different actions. When used with an incorrectly placed comma, things become worse.

Sadly, I cannot think of a way to join "edit your first post" and "fix the spellings" in a more prescise way than I did.

3-I know it's cool to use grammar like this, but it's still wrong. We're only talking about one instance of "spelling" mistakes here, not infinitive instances of mistakes.

4-Again: I know it's the new thing to leave off direct objects, but it's not popular enough to constitute an entire change in correct language structure.

5-Unsure here why I'm correct, but I'm pretty sure I am.

6-Parallel structure of sentences mandates actual parallel structure.

7-Multiple prepositions are ugly. I suppose this is fine gramatically but it's still better off this way.

8-"Magma Dragoon" is the correct form.

9-"up" and "messed" both make no sense as seperate modifiers, but the modifier "messed-up" makes perfect sense.

10-There is no pause symbolized by a comma, so the comma shouldn't be there.

[ Friday, April 07, 2006 12:26: Message edited by: St. Ashby the Martyr ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #27
I could be wrong, but for some reason I remember not being able to edit a post containing a poll. Or maybe it was that you couldn't edit the poll itself... Regardless, everyone understands what llama was trying to say.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
If my advisors ask "Why are you risking everything on such a mad scheme?", I will not proceed until I have a response that satisfies them.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #28
Sometimes spelling or grammar is so gruesome it's painful to read, but extreme fussiness is unnecessary, and even self-defeating. The very best English prose generally violates quite a few supposed rules. Above a minimal standard of adherence to convention, the only real rule is clarity.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Well, MagmaDragoon only made one mistake on each fix, as opposed to many. But since he opened the door:
FYT: MagmaDragoon only made one mistake in each fix, not many.

quote:
quote:
FYT: Ok, thanks for advice and warning.
FYT: Ok, thanks for the advice and warning.
"Okay" is either a word ("okay") or an acronym ("O.K."). In neither case is it written "Ok." The advice and the warning are two separate things, so it's more stylistically proper to use two different articles. FYT: Okay. Thank you for the advice and the warning.

quote:
quote:
FYT: Sorry if I have spoke anything wrong, I'm not a good speller.
FYT: Sorry if I have spelt anything wrong, I'm not a good speller.
FYT: I am sorry if I have spelled anything incorrectly; I'm not a good speller. [Explanation below.]

quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

2. Independent sentences shouldn't be joined together by a comma alone. You also need a preposition.
Er, no. You mean a conjunction.

quote:
In this case "Sorry if I have spelt anything incorrectly" is a subordinate clause, so that "as" actually introduced a new error.
Well, that's the tricky thing. Technically the clause following the "if" is subordinate, but the "Sorry" part is an ellision from "I am sorry." This ellision is ungrammatical in proper written English (since it creates a fragment). One ought to write the whole main clause: "I am sorry."

The "as" doesn't really tie the sentences together in an appropriate way. I suggest using a semi-colon, which indicates that the sentences are closely related but not necessarily in any specific fashion.

SoT's point is worth noting, too, but it's important to know the rules, even if one chooses deliberately to violate them. I find that too many people do not know how to write formally, which tends to stem from an inability to read formal writing, which makes a large class of writing inaccessible. This, I think, is bad.

[ Friday, April 07, 2006 12:52: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #30
quote:

I know you don't mean to do it...
I beg to differ. With placement and consistency it seems very much on purpose. imho

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #31
How the hell did this topic travel to spelling corrections? :confused:

--------------------
I hate you all
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #32
It traveled from a Avernum/Geneforge debate to a spelling/grammar debate in glamorous Spiderweb style.

Dikiyoba.
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #33
If people want to talk about spelling and stuff like that they can make a topic about it.
The reason this topic was made was to answer the question llama asked not to debate about spelling.
Its also not very nice to criticise other people just because they are not very good spellers.

--------------------
I hate you all
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #34
Fortunately/unfortunately, spelling and grammar debates are an integral part of these boards, as are topics that veer off-topic.

Most of the spelling and grammar mistakes actually get left alone unless they are highly apparent. Since llama admits that his/her spelling isn't the best, I'm suggesting that llama types up posts in Word or another program with a spell/grammar checker first, corrects as many mistakes as possible, and then copies the text into a post.

No, Dikiyoba doesn't want to know how many mistakes a critical eye can find in this post.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #35
Bomber, you don't seem to have left your sanity at the door, sensitivity about having your spelling criticized included.

Very rarely have I seen a thread on the general boards stay on topic, usually this is only accomplished with someone resurrecting the original purpose of said thread repeatedly. Obviously no one had anything else to say about Geneforge vs Avernum, or else they would have said it and brought the topic back to the arguement. Debating and ranking Jeff's games is a fairly played out topic which has been thoroughly explored, if this thread hadn't gone off to talking about spelling, it probably would just have not been used for anything.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
BANNED
Member # 6432
Profile #36
Since when did i have any sanity in the first place? :confused:
If i take offence at others criticising my friend over such a small matter such as spelling i must not have that much sanity.

--------------------
I hate you all
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by Bomber:

How the hell did this topic travel to spelling corrections? :confused:
Sorry guys. I was a fool for trying to correct something in English when I am an Italian. I have changed this topic to "Correct the grammatics errors of others". If someone did a "FTY" every time I post, I would go crazy... :rolleyes:

BTW, look the last post of Ilama here. It seems that here it's writing well. :confused:

quote:
Originally written by St. Ashby the Martyr:

8-"Magma Dragoon" is the correct form.

No, the correct form is MagmaDragoon.

[ Saturday, April 08, 2006 03:09: Message edited by: MagmaDragoon ]

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #38
I prefer Exile.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #39
quote:
Originally written by MagmaDragoon:

BTW, look the last post of Ilama here. It seems that here it's writing well. :confused:

I rest my case. It seems very dejavuish, like we've done this before recently...

I also prefer Exile.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley

Pages