just a general question with no apparent connection to anything of relevance...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: just a general question with no apparent connection to anything of relevance...
Shock Trooper
Member # 258
Profile Homepage #0
Has anyone, perhaps, tried the game World of Warcraft? I'm currently in much debate as to whether or not to actually pay multi-hundred (1300ishy) $s for a computer simply to play the 50$game, eh? Do you see what I mean. No doubt a computer will aid in many things...typeing...err...myspace? but other then that... Is it right to buy an entire computer for a game? Who's got some thoughts on this.

Btw, does anyone notice that I make random-ass comebacks on this site? :)

--------------------
...well I thought it was funney...? didn't you?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
Well, if you want my opinion, getting a new computer in order to play a game that wouldn't otherwise run is ridiculous.

Unless it's a platform thing, or your old computer is a complete kludge, as long as the only advantage of the new computer over the old is that you can play this game, I wouldn't do it.

But then, you're talking to someone whose favorite games include ADOM, Exile 3 and Blades of Exile. I'm not big on high-tech games. :P

(Note: I'm assuming that you have a computer now that won't run the game. I didn't consider the possibility that you have no computer at all and are posting this from an internet cafe or something. If it's the latter, then I would preferably get an own computer with internet access, but that depends on whether you use it often enough to make that cheaper.)

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #2
You're an ADOM fan, Aran?
Mhmmm...

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #3
I would buy the new comp but not just for WoW. You have to consider that the game also requires monthly subscription fees. That's why I haven't bothered with it. The though of paying money out each month to play a game seems strange.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #4
Buying a new computerjust to play some game that you might not like is silly. However, new computers are nice....

[ Thursday, March 30, 2006 13:41: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #5
Take up the hobby of digital photography, then you will really need a good computer with lots of mem, ram, and pentium numbers... ;)

Then being able to play any game you want on it will just be a perk.

Hey, while you're here, pick an element. I'm really liking the periodic table of spiderwebbers and am surprised at the lack of interest(I've got like every other post a couple places... that just doesn't happen) I must really miss school. And science class. And doing chemical experiments where everyone in the class had to wear funny looking goggles.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #6
WoW's system requirements are rather low by today's standards actually. If your computer can't play it, you probably need to upgrade anyway. :P

You can build a computer capable of playing WoW for $300 easily, which means about $500 for a comparable pre-built machine.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #7
Welcome back, Mung!

I agree with Tyran: You probably need an upgrade regardless of WoW.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Dame Annals:

You're an ADOM fan, Aran?
Mhmmm...

I think the proper term is addict. :P

--------------------
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #9
What is ADOM?

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Ancient Domains of Mystery. It's a fairly old game, uses ascii graphics.
Alex: One post off 1337!

--------------------
"When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Inthrall:

quote:
Ancient Domains of Mystery. It's a fairly old game, uses ascii graphics.
Alex: One post off 1337!

Wow. I was just thinking "what if I could write a program that would let me post to Spiderweb via instant messenger?" and it turns out that's unnecessary! :P

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 258
Profile Homepage #12
heh, well now I do not, as of now, have a computer of my own. but being of the military persuasion find it easy enough to walk into someone elses room and jump on their game. Considering that the rate I'm in is comprised highly of nerds and lowly of a few lost rednecks who didn't understand that electronics technicians would predominantly be dealing with ... computers? ... So I have a lot of friends who play and have made a few of them on the game as well. which kinda pushes me towards the game a little more. But in truth I was thinking about getting a computer as is. now all I need to have would be suggestiong:) I hope this will not beget an apple/ibm war, but hey. which type of computer company, publisher, maker, system, etc etc etc do you all prefer?

And belive it or not a monthly subscription to wow saves me a bit of money. otherwise I'd be sitting at home with my trusty ps2 on which I can finish a game in 4 days or so if it's a fps, shooter, etc. RPG's have gotten to good for that. and that means that rather then buying a 50$game every week I spent 15 a month on a subscription. soo it works for me:)

And as per photography, I've never really gotten into it. heh. My mum has a beautiful little camera that I've been nagging her to send out to me but it's not digital in the least.

An element? erm...ya know I'd really have no idea what I could possible be out there. unless there's an element that could be expressed as " ... " then I'd probably be that one. eh?

As to the upgrade argument, it would help if I had a computer to begin with, ya know:P and howdy Spring, how ya doing? :)

And how are the RP threads going on here anywyas?

--------------------
...well I thought it was funney...? didn't you?
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #13
At the risk of starting a feud, I would have to say that most prebuilt computer systems aren't that good. Companies deliberately make them hard to upgrade so that you will be a new system every couple of years or so. My suggestion to you would be to build a custom system. If you're surrounded by thec nerds, I'm sure one of them would be glad to do it for you. You'll get a quality system that can be upgraded easily and is also cheaper than buying a prebuilt system. Of course, if you do that you'll have to get a PC, as Macs are only prebuilt (the big reason I prefer PCs).

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.