Why I'm sticking with Spiderweb!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Why I'm sticking with Spiderweb!
Apprentice
Member # 6020
Profile #0
Hi

Maybe it's because i'm getting old and not rich but i don't see upgrading or buying a computer for the latest big budget game out there...

Go to game spot forums and look at the posts on Elder Srolls Oblivion....all you see are people complaining about low frame rates, constantly tweaking their pc's, or what Video cards will run the game.....

With Spiderweb and other shareware game makers i know exactly what i'm getting before i purchase a game.......i'm running an old ATI SE9200 video card and that's plenty...for the newer games i'd be buying a new card yearly...also i noticed that the games that most people have trouble running don't have demos for them.
Yeah, i'm 60 years old and grouchy but i'm content. :eek:
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
Oh hell. I thought this was going to be some explanation of how you got caught in a spider's web and couldn't get it off.

And at 60 I expect to be a heck of a lot grouchier than you, Mr Happy Man.

:P

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
I bought the Elder Scrolls game Trilogy to use on my Mac before I found out that Microtwerp's Windows Emulator doesn't support 3D graphics. It's their way of keping people from enjoying Windows games on Macs. I did read that the Xbox 360 demos were run on Macs because they were behind on production.

I like Spiderweb games because I won't have to upgrade my system to play Geneforge 4 and Avernum 5 whenever they are ready.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #3
Well, a lot of people do need to get new graphics cards to play Oblivion. I know I'm probably going to get one for it, myself - for immersive, open-ended role-playing games, the Elder Scrolls series is pretty hard to beat.

...of course, that's not really saying much about their plotline (which I've always found flimsy, probably due to the open-endedness that lets you just stroll off and do whatever, ignoring the actual plot of the game) and their difficulty factor. (again, since there's no enforced order that things have to be done in, you can walk into death ground just as easily as you can visit slaughter upon the helpless)
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #4
:) Hi Fenwik! What a surprise. I thought you would never come back. Now Spiderweb's stickiness caught you too, he he ...
Don't go to Game Spot forums. Here is the neat place to talk of the games' substance.

BTW, which games of Avernum series have you played so far?

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #5
My computer isn't exactly new but I ran a test on this site and apparently I can run oblivion and my computer is just slightly below reccomended.
Apprentice
Member # 6020
Profile #6
Hi

I have Avernum 1 and 2, also Blades of Avernum..all 3 Geneforge games...i'm playing Geneforge right now... i got stuck last time so i'm starting over
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #7
I've been playing Oblivion since Monday (release day), and it's worth it, I say. Imban, the new plot is much more engrossing than previous incarnations. You, of course, still have the option of leaving it at any time, but it's actually fun this time. I thought I'd be skipping the main plot again, but I'm actually enjoying it (so far, that is).

There's so much to do, so much to see... this is the kind of game I'd pay a monthly fee for, not World of Got-Really-Boring-Craft.

Edit: Oh, and the game is leveled to your characters abilities; you'll only encounter stuff at an appropriate difficulty/leet-ness.

[ Saturday, March 25, 2006 15:44: Message edited by: dXs ]

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #8
Yea, I can't wait until I get Oblivion. Unfortunitly I have to wait for about a month before I can afford it, which sucks.
Warrior
Member # 5302
Profile #9
I played some of Oblivion today- I wasn't impressed. It was on a friends computer (Not sure of the specs- its pretty damned good though.) and the draw distance was atrocious. The animations still seem like in Morrowind- In fact, I'd go so far as to say I prefered Morrowind, at least from an aesthetic standpoint.

Gameplay wise, I'm mad that spears and crossbows are gone. Mounts are absolutely useless, since when you get off, you don't do a quick leap- Oh no, you slooooowly slide off, while mister Dremora hacks away at your mount. Sorry Silver, its off to the glue factory with you.

I think I'll go back to playing Daggerfall.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #10
There does seem to be mixed reviews. Some say that it is good (eg. Oblivion Scores A 9.5 In Official Xbox Magazine and A 95% In PC Gamer) and others say it is very boring.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #11
Slide off? Heh... that brings back memories of trying to ride large creatures in Morrowind. Apparently, they're more slippery than ice...
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #12
I'm shocked at your preference to Morrowind's character animations. I don't know what else to say to that...

And since mounts are much faster than your puny legs, I can't see how they are useless.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #13
Hmmm, my friend got Oblivion yesterday and I haven't seen him or heard from him since. I might go check his flat to make sure the guys still alive. And possibly to steal his game.
Warrior
Member # 5302
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by dXs:

I'm shocked at your preference to Morrowind's character animations. I don't know what else to say to that...
Er, it wasn't the animations I prefered- It was the entire graphical experience. I'd much rather have a decent draw distance with passable graphics (which were improved a lot by certain mods) than have to buy a forty bajillion dollar computer just so I can see in front of my own nose.

quote:
Originally written by dXs:

And since mounts are much faster than your puny legs, I can't see how they are useless.
My horse got stuck nine times on small rocks and details on the ground. Nine times. On second thought, I think I will let him go to the glue factory.
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #15
That's true, and I'm a registered member on there. What pisses me off is people on there want the game to be real life in every way. At one point they were making so many threads of 'is this going to be on' I just left. It's good to have expectations for a game, but they were getting pissed off minor things weren't being added to the game. I have a high respect for Bethesda and the quality of work they put in their games.

Hey, you'll probably be missing out, but if you're fine with that, that's ok. I'll probably get the game in a couple years, cause I know my comp won't run it now.

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!