Project GFT Start!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Project GFT Start!
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #0
In my personal war for get a Custom Rank, I decided to translate GF3 in Italian, for make it more famous here in Italy, where nobody (1 on 10.000 people know GF Series) know it. For do this, I will translate all the scripts and I will "disapperar" from the Spidweb Board until I finish my project (I called it "Project GFT, Geneforge 3 Translation). I will start next Monday. If someone have some advices for the translation, post here. Thanks in advice. :)

IMAGE(http://www.image-share.net/image/702/magma.png)

IMAGE(http://www.faccinebuffe.it/smile/fifoni/fifone5.gif) BTW, someone can tell me what is "SKRIBBANE"? IMAGE(http://www.faccinebuffe.it/smile/fifoni/fifone5.gif)

P.S.: Drakefyre, I send You a PM, You know? ;)

[ Wednesday, March 22, 2006 03:58: Message edited by: MagmaDragoon ]

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
Skribbane is a fictional drug invented by Jeff. If it has any etymological roots that could be translated, I don't know them. In any case, if you just use the same name - perhaps spelt differently to fit better into the Italian language - it should be fine. The word doesn't have any meaning in English that I'm aware of.

--

Also, just how are you intending to translate a program without having its source? Will you mail the translated full-text dump to Jeff and ask him to make a localized version?
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Also, just how are you intending to translate a program without having its source? Will you mail the translated full-text dump to Jeff and ask him to make a localized version?
That is a big problem. I didn't think it. :D
What can I do? :confused:

[ Wednesday, March 22, 2006 04:07: Message edited by: MagmaDragoon ]

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
Just asking because I once had the idea (this was back in 2001...) of translating Exile III into German. After about a week or so, I realized that it would all be useless unless the programmer (Jeff) put his own time into actually producing the translated program and hosting it. At the time, I didn't know Jeff, so I was doubtful what he'd think of such an enterprise (which would quite probably prove non-worthwhile).

Now I know Jeff, and am quite certain he wouldn't want to spend time on it. Bug-fixing BoA seems a more worthwhile endeavor (in terms of marketing) than translating a game from English into another language when possibly everyone who has ever heard of the game already speaks English. If he does not want to do the former, the latter strikes me as unlikely.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #4
quote:

Just asking because I once had the idea (this was back in 2001...) of translating Exile III into German. After about a week or so, I realized that it would all be useless unless the programmer (Jeff) put his own time into actually producing the translated program and hosting it. At the time, I didn't know Jeff, so I was doubtful what he'd think of such an enterprise (which would quite probably prove non-worthwhile).

Now I know Jeff, and am quite certain he wouldn't want to spend time on it. Bug-fixing BoA seems a more worthwhile endeavor (in terms of marketing) than translating a game from English into another language when possibly everyone who has ever heard of the game already speaks English. If he does not want to do the former, the latter strikes me as unlikely.

Deleting Project GFT... done. :(

Well, maybe I can translate it for my private use?

--------------------

Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #5
You could try to it for yourself personally. However, as Aran said, there is a big chance you will give up throughout the way. I do know some people, such as my best friends, who would play the game if it were translated into Spanish. I’d say if someone bothers to do a fairly good translation, then I don’t see why Jeff wouldn’t take time to publish it.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
Because he is too busy writing A5 and GF4?

Don't let me discourage you people, but it's not like substituting all text strings in a program is a simple task - especially if the program was not designed with different language options in mind. Not knowing how Jeff coded it, it could be anything from a few hours to a few weeks.

I don't want to talk you out of it, but it would be quite a disappointment if after weeks or months of translation, nobody has any use for it. :(

---

Edit: Also, note that since I doubt Jeff is proficient in Spanish or Italian, he would have no way of assessing the quality of the translations.

[ Wednesday, March 22, 2006 05:36: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
This may well be used as a cheat of some sort, or ust to see what will happen in the future of the game, but you can just make it a word or pdf file. You could put in clear entries of people, special rectangles you encounter and where these are (what map). This can then be downloaded by people who would like to use it.

The only problem is, is that this is an enormous undertaking. It will require much patience and time, which i doubt anybody has (I, as somebody who is undertaking about four very big projects at once, knows what he is talking about).

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #8
I won't bother to misquote Aran on this one because he is mostly correct. Each of the script-based games has certain "thingies" that produce text from within the engine itself, rather than echoing what is visible in the scripts. For example, in BoA there is a Avernumscript function which asks for a choice (Yes/No), based on a number. Code-wise you would not see "There is a lever here, do you wish to yank on it?" Rather, you would merely see some garbage about dialog_preset_options(2).

Of course, you could always entertain an offer to Jeff where you paid him $X, in return he supplied you with GF1 source code and permission to translate and distribute the program in exchange for a percentage of the proceeds. That would be a functional extension of the free-market system without endangering Jeff's primary market, the English and ESL crowds.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Mc 'mini' Thralni:

The only problem is, is that this is an enormous undertaking. It will require much patience and time, which i doubt anybody has (I, as somebody who is undertaking about four very big projects at once, knows what he is talking about).
Just as a note, referring to yourself as "someone" in a subclause doesn't suddenly turn the whole sentence into third person. Once the subclause ends, it's once again "..., know what I am talking about."

And that's enough for grammar pedantry today. :)

---

Jeff doesn't appear to be aversed to marketing other people's games (though I don't know if that still applies). I'm not sure if this works vice versa, with other people marketing Jeff's games (in other languages).

[ Wednesday, March 22, 2006 06:35: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #10
quote:

And that's enough for grammar pedantry today. :)
This, on the other hand, is extremely quote-worthy. Should there be a scorecard somewhere for keeping track of these things, or do you employ a calendar (one of those day/page things) where you dispose of the page or mark it after making your daily grammar correction? Now, I enjoy a good grammar correction as well as the next guy, but is Thralni the right fellow to receive it? I thnk not. He is too sensitive, too much follow-up discussion will take place, and he is not here to learn English grammar.

:P

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #11
Actually, Salmon, there are lots of text strings that are not encoded in text files AND are not determined entirely by the parameters used in functions encoded in text files.

Did anyone else notice that certain artifacts from very old games seem to end up sticking around long past they are used? For example, the DITL resource for the Exile II "are you sure you want to turn the music on?" window, which has not been used since Exile II, made it into Nethergate and all of the Avernums, including BoA IIRC.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
Are "DITL resources" a mac thing? I haven't heard of them...

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #13
quote:
Jeff doesn't appear to be aversed to marketing other people's games (though I don't know if that still applies). I'm not sure if this works vice versa, with other people marketing Jeff's games (in other languages).

Aversed?? Why oh why do we worry about grammer when we cannot even spell correctly?

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #14
quote:

Hint # 2. Undertaking is a noun, not a verb. Perhaps you mean:

I, as someone who is taking on about four very big projects at once, knows what I am talking about.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #15
Aran has coined a verb (to averse) which is a legitimate act in English, but in this case unnecessary since the adjective averse already exists. It's also consistent with say, disinclined or indisposed. I think it's a more complex error than mere orthography, and refelcts the sophisticaion of Aran's grasp of the tongue.
(I hope that metaphor gives you some horrible mental images.)

--------------------
I am a mater of time and how .

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #16
Hm, I'm curious as to why you'd want to do this? I know you aren't anymore, but the fact is, there's better games you could be playing, not to take away from Spidweb's games. They're more old school, but they don't have the physics engines of todays games and the graphics. Sure, they may be addicting, but they have to take their toll on you sometime. I gave up Spiderweb Software games years ago. I'm sure you could find a way to spend your time more effectively, though. Don't waste your life on games, it's not worth it.

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Shaper Lord:

Hm, I'm curious as to why you'd want to do this? I know you aren't anymore, but the fact is, there's better games you could be playing, not to take away from Spidweb's games. They're more old school, but they don't have the physics engines of todays games and the graphics. Sure, they may be addicting, but they have to take their toll on you sometime. I gave up Spiderweb Software games years ago. I'm sure you could find a way to spend your time more effectively, though. Don't waste your life on games, it's not worth it.
This question is for...? :o

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #18
By MagmaDragoon:
quote:
BTW, someone can tell me what is "SKRIBBANE"?
A drug that harms Skribs?

Translating Geneforge into Italian. But why not be more ambitious? I'm going to translate all the RW games into Gaelic and release them for PC (never mind the fact that I don't own a Mac...).

By Shaper Lord:
quote:
Don't waste your life on games, it's not worth it.
Instead, waste your time on the forums devoted to said games. :P

--------------------
Ah ma wee hach patew mae bo clee hach maneagh
Heow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow BARK meow
Saigh hough loo loo cheow dach hagh vreigh chouach mouheaugh
Douauh meah mae couchah moo ma meagh pach hooragh
- The Gaelic Song (The Arrogant Worms)
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #19
The question is for you.

What I meant by don't waste your life on games isn't that you shouldn't play games, because it's a great way to pass time when you're bored. Just don't put it as first priority, you know what I mean? Don't sacrifice time with friends to play a dumb game, it's just not worth it.

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by saunders:

Mission successful saunders.

MagmaDragon - I think you'd need to get Jeff onside. Either get him to say "heck, I'll do all the work if you translate", or try and get the source code.

He also might have some advice for you, so I'd email him.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #21
quote:
Aran has coined a verb (to averse) which is a legitimate act in English, but in this case unnecessary since the adjective averse already exists. It's also consistent with say, disinclined or indisposed. I think it's a more complex error than mere orthography, and refelcts the sophisticaion of Aran's grasp of the tongue.

It doesn't bother me that we are inventing words. In fact, about 5% of the English language will change every 1000 years (definition/spelling/new term). Its when, in putting forth the argument, the individual arguing for a correction fails to use proper terminology as well that it becomes comical. And my point wasn't to correct - it was to humor (although without face to face contact that wouldn't necessarily be obvious.)

I note also in your post that disinclined and indisposed actually exist (although, now by virtue of Aran's post aversed also exists), are formally defined and have rules existing for their usage.

Perhaps the solution is to nominate a grammar and spelling authority to the moderators board and then we can influence the shape of the English language for future generations through the stick of banning.

Also, as I note at least two spelling errors in your post, I deny you the authority to offer meaningful correction or rebuke to my earlier statements and assign you karma of 1.

[ Wednesday, March 22, 2006 08:12: Message edited by: the fatman ]

--------------------

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by the fatman:

In fact, about 5% of the English language will change every 1000 years (definition/spelling/new term).
The spirit of your statement is right on -- language changes -- but its letter is way off. It's pretty futile to try and assign a specify quantity to that kind of characterization in the first place, but if you're going to, 5% is way too small. Look at any language that has been around for a thousand years, and that should be plain.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by the fatman:

quote:

Aversed?? Why oh why do we worry about grammer when we cannot even spell correctly?

If you read attentively, you will note that I informed Thralni (a non-native speaker) of a grammatical rule that his sentence violated.

Thank you very much for informing me (also a non-native speaker) of the correct use of the term "to be averse". I'll note it in the future. :)

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #24
quote:
It's pretty futile to try and assign a specify quantity to that kind of characterization in the first place, but if you're going to, 5% is way too small. Look at any language that has been around for a thousand years, and that should be plain.

Actually, 5% is probably pretty close to the truth, and its not futile to establish this value. A simple comparison between generations of text would generate validity to the rate of change. You should note that the core of a language remains relatively constant while it is the fringes and emerging uses that change.

As you did note, correctly, the exact percentage isn't even important, it is that change is occuring.

Remember, the rules of language are a convention aimed at fostering communication.
quote:
Communication between groups is necessary. That is why we have conventions. A convention concerning basic rules of language use is handy so that when I write, making allowances, I can expect others, making allowances, to understand. I see this convention as a lingua franca, nothing more. We should encourage those who are not comfortable using this convention to become so. But we should not discourage those who are fortunate enough to have other languages and dialects from keeping them as they also accept the convention. We should not tell them their grammar is "wrong."

The problem with talking about a convention as a description of some ideal is that people forget that it is merely a convention. That one group of people agrees to drive on the right or the left of the road is arbitrary. There is nothing inherently better about one way or another.

I would like to urge everyone interested in language and especially those who feel compelled to promote some ideal of usage to remember that with regard to language use, it can only be convention. The nature of language prevents it from ever being more than that.

So to my friend Aran, do not sweat the proper use of "averse".

[ Wednesday, March 22, 2006 10:07: Message edited by: the fatman ]

--------------------

Pages