Exile 3: Ruined World - 7.50 (9.2/5.5)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Exile 3: Ruined World - 7.50 (9.2/5.5)
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #0
Exile 3: Ruined World is the third game (er, scenario) by Jeff Vogel.

I have become curious as to how you would rate it against BoE scenarios.

[ Monday, March 13, 2006 17:53: Message edited by: the benalizer ]

--------------------
-ben4808
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #1
Probably this isn't the right forum to ask. But I'd rate it quite poorly. 5.5 or something like that.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Oh, come on. It's practically the definition of a 7 -- big, technically sound, nothing ridiculously annoying, but nothing remarkable.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 3664
Profile Homepage #3
Eh, I liked it more than most BoE scenarios. It is just plain massive, and since it is a definative work of the Exile world it is of course completely believable. There's the usual (with Jeff's scenarios) tons of extra stuff to do, a well-designed outdoors and dungeons (You never stop and go "my foot terrain is ever like this"), and a plot that you don't have to brainwash yourself to believe and track with.

Also, there aren't too many places that are really annoying to complete, the main exception to that being the golem factory place. I've never been through a moving-walkway dungeon that was in the least enjoyable, and with the tendency to combine them with golems that breathe at you from a distance or start casting divine thuds and firestorms at you...Yeah, I hate those dungeons.

--------------------
*Child of Feanor*
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
The technical implementation and sound use of the English language alone would make it a 5 at least no matter what the plot. The plot itself is not spectacular, but I'd give it 7.8. Or roundabouts.

For comparison, I would have rated Druids of Krell at 9.1, Bahssikava at 8.5 and Cresent Valley at 4.0.

[ Wednesday, March 01, 2006 21:08: Message edited by: Left Outer Join ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
There's a massive world. Great puzzles if you want them, but few are essential. Attention to detail is good, and the writing has a nice dash of humor. You're never left groping for the plot: there isn't much, but you always know what's going on.

On the other hand, the world tends towards the generic and the combat towards uninspiring and even frustratingly repetitive. Memorable minor characters abound, but major characters are sadly flat. The plot is lackluster.

—Alorael, who would give Exile 3 roughly 7.5. If it weren't for its two prequels, it would be 7.0: the word is bland to the point of absolutely generic town with absolutely generic townspeople. The part of Ermarian worth visiting is beneath the surface.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
Out of curiosity, is Exile 3 larger than the first two games, in terms of area and towns?

I've noticed that the towns on the surface seemed much more generic than the ones in the caves - not so much "noticed", but I found it hard to remember if a certain name belonged to a barkeeper in Pergies or an apprentice mage in Shayder. That would never have happened in Exile; I'm wondering if that is because the area was smaller, or the characters were more unique.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #7
7.5 is about right. Nothing overly good, but not bad.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Left Outer Join:

Out of curiosity, is Exile 3 larger than the first two games, in terms of area and towns?
It is bigger. The games themselves have the details I think, and I'm lacking them, so I can't say for sure.

I do recall though, that Ex3 had 100 outdoor sections. And Ex1 was around 50. Ish.

Don't quote me on that though.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #9
An epic masterpiece. 9

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #10
EDIT: Moved to a later post.

[ Saturday, March 04, 2006 10:24: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #11
Perhaps a six, if I'm being leinient. The age-old plot of evil monster plagues was just far too cliched for my liking.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

An epic masterpiece. 9
You're only saying that because of the Anama. :P

I'm curious what your rating would be without the existence of the Isle of Bigail.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

I'm curious what your rating would be without the existence of the Isle of Bigail.
Well, given that there are seven plagues total (assuming you count Giants & Trogs separately, and include Vahkhos's undead plagues), that'd be effectively removing 1/7 of the game. The revised rating should come out to be 7.714285714, give or take .000000001.

I won't even think about what it'd be like if you factor in the legendary weapon quests, the rakshasa, the vahnatai proper, and the Cult of the Sacred Item.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

Well, given that there are seven plagues total (assuming you count Giants & Trogs separately, and include Vahkhos's undead plagues), that'd be effectively removing 1/7 of the game. The revised rating should come out to be 7.714285714, give or take .000000001.

I won't even think about what it'd be like if you factor in the legendary weapon quests, the rakshasa, the vahnatai proper, and the Cult of the Sacred Item.

Isn't one of the legendary wepons found on an island off the coast of the Isle of Bigail?

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #15
I would say it's at least an 8.0. E3 was the first spidweb game I registered so perhaps my judgment is clouded. But I still think it was very well done.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #16
Thuryl: Yeah, 5.5 is harsh. But I really found E3 to be utterly boring.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
There's an important tool off the coast of Bigail, but it's not one of the so-called artifact quests.

—Alorael, who would have been very, very happy if Phoenix Eggs were available as throwing weapons.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by If I were a Misc. mod...:

There's an important tool off the coast of Bigail, but it's not one of the so-called artifact quests.
Wait... I think Pachtar's Plate is found in some drake lord's lair off the coast. If I'm correct in remembering this, then I have to revise the proposed rating of 7.714285714 to... well, less. I'm not going to bother.

EDIT: As for a semi-serious rating, I'll give it a 7.5, because even though it lacks replay value ("unh... slimes again?"), it's relatively solid.

EDIT 2: That's for A3, mind you.

[ Friday, March 03, 2006 12:26: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #19
The Fury Crossbow quest also begins on the Isle of Bigail.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #20
quote:
The technical implementation and sound use of the English language alone would make it a 5 at least no matter what the plot. The plot itself is not spectacular, but I'd give it 7.8. Or roundabouts.
if you could rate above 5, i would have rated basikavaka at least an a 19.99.

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #21
I really liked Exile 3. Many of the towns were run-of-the-mill with not much to them, and all of the inns and such had the exact same architecture, but the main plus is that the thing in massive, and, while taking a long time to play, it never fails to keep you interested and want to keep going.

Nodework was state-of-the-art in places, where Jeff Vogel pioneered new techniques to create things such as moving walls and large dialog pics. :P :D

In the end, I would give it a 8.6.

-------------

I have put up the average, counting practically everything that looked like a rating and using BainIhrno's technique of dropping the highest and lowest scores after seven votes (as is the case here).

I believe E3 is 70 outdoor sections in size, but you can check me if you want.

[ Thursday, March 02, 2006 17:58: Message edited by: the benalizer ]

--------------------
-ben4808
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #22
It's not actively painful and it's interesting at portions. So far as mindless epics go, E3 tends to be the best, but that's hardly a shining accolade.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by arghhhhhhhhh:

basikavaka
Don't you just love how [b]no one[/b] can spell that, at least at first? I know I used to spell it Bahskivva or something like that.

[ Thursday, March 02, 2006 22:10: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
Bahssikava. Vahnatai. Slithzerikai. Sss-Thsss. :)

Edit: Did I pass the spelling test?

[ Thursday, March 02, 2006 22:49: Message edited by: Left Outer Join ]

--------------------

Pages