Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Karma
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #0
How do you change ratings?

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #1
If you've already rated a member, I don't think you can change your rating.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #2
I love Karma topics. And not being able to change your rating does suck; there are tons of people I gave 5 stars that I wish I could take back. This is why I’ve stopped rating unless someone really deserves it.
Btw, I've never given anyone other than 5 starts and 1 starts. Does anyone actually give 2 and 3 starts?
Then again, does it really matter? Does it make any difference whatsoever? NO, so why do we worry about it? I mean, realistically being an evil priest sounds way cooler than a high priest or whatever 5 starts is.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
Spiderweb karma is changed only through rebirth.

Creating a new account, that is.

I have made some very regrettable ratings, both ways. Back in the day I was pretty quick with that button. Sorry David. Sorry Alec. Sorry XYZ. Sorry Frozen feet, as well.

Edit: Come to think of it, there aren't any high ratings I particularly regret (although some make me wonder "who the hell is this, and why did I rate them at all?"). Of course, if there were, I wouldn't say. I'm tactful like that.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
Imban will be giving 1 star to everyone who posts in this topic. Don't say you weren't warned.

I believe about 25% of my votes are one star, 25% are five stars, and 50% are distributed evenly among the other three values. I didn't check this, though, and I haven't actually voted on anyone in the last few years. I may actually have to vote now.

—Alorael, who will no longer pretend that he'll ever turn karma votes off. While he doesn't particularly care for the value, he's proud of having more karma votes than anyone else. Either he makes people feel strongly or he just posts so much that everyone eventually cares.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
I may adapt the endeavor script next month to include the number of votes people have. That'd be a one-time feature though - I don't want karma-spotting to become a habit. It also would only count votes, not the actual karma itself...

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #6
Let's just see you try and rate me. :P

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
Dikiyoba notices that most of those who choose to disable karma tend to cause problems (the exception is Ash Lael). So Dikiyoba doesn't hand out too many one-star ratings.

Edit: Grammar.

[ Tuesday, February 28, 2006 15:30: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

insert into karma_votes (rater, rated_member, score) values (75, 5491, 1) Anyway, I have 80 votes, most of which are 1 star. But anyway, it's probably pretty safe to assume that anyone that would otherwise rate me now has already done so.

[ Tuesday, February 28, 2006 17:32: Message edited by: the benalizer ]

--------------------
-ben4808
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #9
Yes, I gave you a customary one-star rating. Nobody escapes me. ;)

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by the benalizer:

quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

insert into karma_votes (rater, rated_member, score) values (75, 5491, 1) Anyway, I have 80 votes, most of which are 1 star. But anyway, it's probably pretty safe to assume that anyone that would otherwise rate me now has already done so.

Don't tell me you've managed to hack ironycentral's database server. :P

Edit:

quote:
From the Spam thread:

Why not hit the mod alert button instead of the reply button?

—Alorael, who doesn't need to explain this one.
Many people check these boards more frequently than their email (I certainly do).

Or do you have some kind of wireless emergency communicator that beeps whenever someone sends an alert? :P

Edit: That, and sending a mod alert doesn't increase your post count.

[ Tuesday, February 28, 2006 22:58: Message edited by: Arancaytar the Grey ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Joined Tomorrow:

Imban will be giving 1 star to everyone who posts in this topic. Don't say you weren't warned.

He isn't the only one.
IMAGE(http://www.ipsb.net/Additional%20Webs/PHS%20Web/STAR.gif)

(Not really a vote topic, but hey, its the title that counts. :P )

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
Since I have posted in this topic, my vote count has gone up by 1, and my weighted average has increased from 4.13 to 4.14. I conclude that I have received a five-start vote.

Now, I don't suggest a causal relationship.

[ Wednesday, March 01, 2006 04:03: Message edited by: Left Outer Join ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #13
There isn't a way that allow you to see the votes that others member given to you?

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by MagmaDragoon:

There isn't a way that allow you to see the votes that others member given to you?
Now that would be disaster
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #15
Oh, I don't know. It might be interesting to see who rates who. It gives opportunity for confrontation as well.

My rating for instance came right after I got a little too involved with the E.D.F. That in mind, I'm quite sure I know who gave me the one star rating, but the two star rating is a bit of a mystery (though I have my suspicions).

Oh, and changing the votes would be real great - it'd make the ratings much more mobile.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Amelia:

quote:
Originally written by MagmaDragoon:

Now that would be disaster

Some people would kill me...

(Although I gave 5 stars to you Marlenny :P )

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #17
I've only ever rated 1 or 5 stars. And only then to people that really deserve it. Spidweb got a 5. Alorael got a 5. Aran got a 5. And that's all I can think of right now.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Left Outer Join:
(Although I gave 5 stars to you Marlenny :P )

Oh I'm sure. We all know how much you loved me back when every topic on General was started by me, especially after that "Alorael's Sign" topic. I was an annoying newbie, but as Alec said "the nowb kinda wore off" (or so I hope).
I'm fairly happy with all my ratings, except for one. I gave someone a 1 Star when he/she clearly deserves a 5, not mentioning that the person is one of my fav members now. But anyhow
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #19
User #6056 received a 1 star rating from me. It turns out we are in a long standing predator-prey relationship and I couldn't support that member.

Edit - Each subsequent rating receives less weight than all previous ratings. By way of example,
Karin.exe began with a 1 star rating from 1 rating
that ticked me off, so I rated her a 5.
Her new rating was 2 star, where it will remain for a long, long, long time.

[ Wednesday, March 01, 2006 11:23: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #20
...Grizzly R. Bear? I understand.

Also, since posting on this thread I've received one new rating, changing my average rating from 1,6 to 1,92. How is the weighted score calculated anyway? No three ratings return an average of 1,92 - are some members' ratings worth more than the others'?

Edit: In response to Salmon's edit above.
A hypothetical: Something I post earns me the ire of a sensitive pre-teen. He gives me one star. Because of this, in order to get a respectable average of three stars I would need multiple five-star ratings? Bummer.

Okay, that last edit didn't go down well. Just got another one star. I'll shut up now.

[ Wednesday, March 01, 2006 11:54: Message edited by: Proud Owner of: ]
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #21
Its been discussed before, and if I remember correctly, the significance of each new rating declined.

I did some experimentation myself, after I posted in one thread and got 8 new ratings, by creating 2(I think, or was it 3) new accounts,(so yeah, I'm a multi-accounter, sue me) and having them rate eachother. My observations did not really illuminate anything though, and thus I can now postulate that the impact of any given rating depends on the present opinion of RW.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
BANNED
Member # 6655
Profile #22
You got that right AxB. Your karma score's rubbish.
Anyway, a karma score doesn't mean anything. Whats the point worrying about it?
:(

[ Wednesday, March 01, 2006 12:07: Message edited by: HACKeR 001X (extractfile.zip ]
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #23
My karma went down. Imban must be serious...

Then again, it was probably my recent behavior in a different thread, not this one, that earned me a lower score.

Originally by HACKeR 001X (extractfile.zip:
quote:
You got that right AxB. Your karma score's rubbish.
Anyway, a karma score doesn't mean anything. Whats the point worrying about it?
Generally, if your score is really high, you're doing something right and should continuing doing whatever you are doing and if your score is really low, you're doing something wrong and should change. But people's reactions to your posts is also a good indication of how you're fitting in.

Dikiyoba.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #24
Eh, well considering I haven't gotten a score in quite a while, and I had 4 stars with the few votes before I posted in a topic like this one and got rated badly for it, I don't think I'm that bad of a guy. It just isn't too smart to post in places like this, if you actually care what happens to your Karma.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."

Pages