Pricing

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Pricing
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #0
Jeff's announcement made me check the prices of the various Spiderweb games again, and I'm baffled by some of the choices.

Nethergate is $30, more than any other game. That includes all four Avernums and all three Geneforges, despite the fact that those seven games are newer. I like Nethergate a great deal, but I don't understand this.

Fortunately, Nethergate is at half price if you buy anything else. That's a good deal. Getting BoA at half price is also a good deal that's only going to get better, especially if you're interested in scenario design yourself. But what happened to BoE? Especially since it looks like it is likely to become unplayable as newer Macs become prevalent, now seems like the best time to try to convince people to grab it. They will be happy.

Nethergate looks like it will suffer the same fate unless Jeff gets his act together and does whatever he plans on doing to spruce it up.

—Alorael, who has grumbled as much about obsolescence as pricing. He'll just have to close with a few reiterations: Nethergate is oddly expensive, BoA is oddly but unsurprisingly cheap, and BoE seems to have fallen off the radar (also unsurprisingly!).
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #1
If I'm not mistaken, none of the game prices have changed since their original release. I want to say the Exile series was $25 each, and Avernum and Geneforge stuck with this price point. Nethergate was higher, because (1) it the time of its release it was a lot more fancied up than any other spidweb game, and (2) it comes on CD, which costs extra for the other games.

As for BoE, which is the exception -- it was $25 or $30 originally, I think -- I can understand ignoring it. The people who would get into it are more likely to get into BoA these days, and it doesn't really make sense to bundle it with anything.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
Price changes (today):

BoE went from $30 to $15.

The Exile Trilogy is now available together for $25, instead of each separately for $25.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 125
Profile #3
I'll definitely have to take advantage of BoA for $15 when I next buy a Spiderweb game...

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #4
More of note is that Alorael began a topic.

And maybe now is the right time for that long delayed purchase of BoE.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #5
What? And I payed $45 for the Exile Trilogy! Oh, well. Kinda like buying a new computer. It's probably worth the money anyway, though.

--------------------
-ben4808
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #6
$45 still beats $75, and that was a perfectly good price in the first place.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
Dikiyoba is excited. Dikiyoba can get A1 and A3 for less than they would cost separately and can replace the Mac version of A2 with a Windows version in the process (and maybe Nethergate as well). That sounds good, but it will have to wait a long time. Dikiyoba's parents aren't happy with the amount of time Dikiyoba spends on the computer already and it would be stupid to add to it.
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #8
It's never a stupid waste of time if its a spidweb game :P

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

More of note is that Alorael began a topic.
According to the archives, Alorael has started 8 topics in General, 1 topic in Nethergate, 3 topics in RWG and 1 topic in BoA. It's not that noteworthy, although admittedly it is not an everyday occurrence.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #10
Alorael : "Oddly but unsurprisingly"? Teeheehee.

Startucker : I have BoA, but since there are so many BoE scenarios, I think I'll end up buying BoE anyway.
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #11
If BoE gets carbonised or whatever has to happen so that it'll still work on OS X, I wouldn't mind buying it in a few months. Got BoA already. All these "buy this and get that for less" offers are confusing.

Alorael, was it your birthday recently then?

--------------------
I think this is really wonderful.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
Unless Alorael celebrates more than one birthday a year, no it was not.

"Born yesterday", iirc, is an expression indicating ineptitude, possibly ranging from simple lack of experience to utter idiocy. Noobishness, in other words. The online equivalent could be "Joined yesterday".

"Do I look like I was born yesterday?" is an angry retort uttered in response to what is very obviously a scam or a bad deal.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #13
Well, thanks for clearing that up Aran.

--------------------
I think this is really wonderful.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #14
BoE and the Exile games still work in Classic, but there are no planned updates.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #15
i was really dissapointed that all the spiderweb games are incredibly pricey(i am making that assumption becuase of the quality of the games).

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
They're $25 or less. That's less than just about any new mainstream game, and we enjoy Spiderweb's offerings just as much if not more. If you're paying for graphics and sound, you want to look elsewhere. If you're paying for entertainment, then Spiderweb delivers.

Quality is an interesting concept, though. I'd have to call BoE one of the lower quality games I've seen, using the term "game" loosely, but it's also one of the best games available.

—Alorael, who supposes it's the definition of quality that's slippery. BoE is a great idea with great execution and an unfortunate plague of mostly minor bugs that add up. It's annoying, but take a look at the scenarios available and it's hard to call it low quality.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by arghhhhhhhhh:

i was really dissapointed that all the spiderweb games are incredibly pricey(i am making that assumption becuase of the quality of the games).
I don't think they're that expensive/pricey. As a matter of fact, they are quite cheap. Compared to my brother's PS2 games, they cost nothing. And some games are actually worth it