On this day in 1844

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: On this day in 1844
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #0
IMAGE(http://i.infoplease.com/images/mdomrep.gif)
The Dominican Republic was explored by Columbus on his first voyage in 1492. He named it La Española, and his son, Diego, was its first viceroy. The capital, Santo Domingo, founded in 1496, is the oldest European settlement in the Western Hemisphere.
"I," he says, "that we might form great friendship, for I knew that they were a people who could be more easily freed and converted to our holy faith by love than by force, gave to some of them red caps, and glass beads to put round their necks, and many other things of little value, which gave them great pleasure, and made them so much our friends that it was a marvel to see. They afterward came to the ship's boats where we were, swimming and bringing us parrots, cotton threads in skeins, darts, and many other things; and we exchanged them for other things that we gave them, such as glass beads and small bells. In fine, they took all, and gave what they had with good will. It appeared to me to be a race of people very poor in everything. They go as naked as when their mothers bore them, and so do the women, although I did not see more than one young girl. All I saw were youths, none more than thirty years of age. They are very well made, with very handsome bodies, and very good countenances. Their hair is short and coarse, almost like the hairs of a horse's tail. They wear the hairs brought down to the eyebrows, except a few locks behind, which they wear long and never cut. They paint themselves black, and they are the color of the Canarians, neither black nor white. Some paint themselves white, others red, and others of what color they find. Some paint their faces, others the whole body, some only round the eyes, others only on the nose. They neither carry nor know anything of arms, for I showed them swords, and they took them by the blade and cut themselves through ignorance. They have no iron, their darts being wands without iron, some of them having a fish's tooth at the end, and others being pointed in various ways. They are all of fair stature and size, with good faces, and well made. I saw some with marks of wounds on their bodies, and I made signs to ask what it was, and they gave me to understand that people from other adjacent islands came with the intention of seizing them, and that they defended themselves. I believed, and still believe, that they come here from the mainland to take them prisoners. They should be good servants and intelligent, for I observed that they quickly took in what was said to them, and I believe that they would easily be made Christians, as it appeared to me that they had no religion. I, our Lord being pleased, will take hence, at the time of my departure six natives for your Highnesses, that they may learn to speak. I saw no beast of any kind except parrots, on this island."

Spain ceded the colony to France in 1795, and Haitian blacks under Toussaint L'Ouverture conquered it in 1801. In 1808 the people revolted and captured Santo Domingo the next year, setting up the first republic. Spain regained title to the colony in 1814. In 1821 Spanish rule was overthrown, but in 1822 the colony was reconquered by the Haitians. In 1844 the Haitians were thrown out, and the Dominican Republic was established, headed by Pedro Santana.

One hundred and sixty-two years ago, a new flag flying proudly became a symbol of freedom for Dominicans. The father of Dominican independence, Juan Pablo Duarte, designed the flag to represent the Dominicans struggle for liberty and the promise of democracy
IMAGE(http://img.infoplease.com/images/domrep.gif)
The cross symbolizes the fight for independence. Red represents the sacrifice of those who fought; blue stands for progress; and white, the Dominicans' hope for lasting peace. Dominicans across the world believe in all their flag symbolizes.
So join me today, as I celebrate the Dominican's Indepence day.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #1
Happy independence, Marlenny. That was a very interesting history lesson. I must admit that I knew next to nothing about the history of the Dominican Republic.

[ Monday, February 27, 2006 05:54: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #2
Warm wishes on your independence day! How do you celebrate?

--------------------
I think this is really wonderful.
Apprentice
Member # 6278
Profile Homepage #3
Thanks for the link, honey!

Learn something new everyday, eh?
Honestly, my workday would be sooooooo boring if it wasn't for your mails :)

Laurana

--------------------
I outnumbered them one to thirty!
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Thin Air:

Warm wishes on your independence day! How do you celebrate?
Well in Dom. Rep. we celebrate with a Carnaval Dominicano. This is kinda like the German “Karneval” but with a Dominican style.
Like this
We throw a couple of those every weekend throughout Feb.
There are tons of music, drinks, and dances. Then at night we do fireworks, and just hang with the family.
In New York, well we just go to school or work or whatever with the colors of the Dominican Flag. Lol, I'm dressed like that today, and I look kinda silly since there aren't many Dominicans in my school. But whenever I see another Dominican we stop and go yay or something. In NY, we do have the Dominican Parade, but instead of Independence Day (I guess Cuz it's too cold or something), we do it on August 16th to commemorate la restauracion, but that's a whole different thing.
It looks a bit like this

[ Monday, February 27, 2006 10:57: Message edited by: Selima ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Selima:

German “Carnival”
As a point of interest, the actual German spelling is "Karneval".

And I'm sure it is celebrated elsewhere... isn't it in Brazil as well?

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #6
And Colombia and several Caribbean countries as I just learned today.
And I just fixed the word
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #7
Have a happy 17th of February!

You could call it that, couldn't you?

--------------------
-ben4808
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #8
Too bad it's the 27th.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #9
In 1844...

...Democrat James Knox Polk defeats Whig leader Henry Clay for the presidency of the United States after an anti-slavery candidate splits the Whig vote.

...Mormon leader and prophet Joseph Smith and his brother are shot to death by a mob after being jailed for burning the press of a rival Mormon paper. Brigham Young is chosen to replace Smith as leader of the Mormons.

...The Young Men's Christian Association is founded by English dry-goods clerk George Williams.

...Alexander Dumas pens popular adventure romances, such as The Three Musketeers.

...Social critic Karl Marx describes religion as the sigh of the oppressed creature, the feelings of a heartless world...the opium of the people.

...Amos Bronson Alcott, father of author Louisa May Alcott, founds the hapless Fruitlands commune. The utopian community fails after members spend too much time talking enthusiastically about the grand project in which they are engaged--and too little time working in their orchards.
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #10
did you know that on febuary 25 this year is mozarts 250th annisvery

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Too bad it's the 27th.
Oh... right.

Sorry about that. :o

--------------------
-ben4808
Apprentice
Member # 6845
Profile #12
Wow... now when my friends (by any chance) ask me about the Domin. Rep, I can sound smart, and they will have no choice but to worship me! *stab*

--------------------
coco puffs and techno pop... sounds like a party.

Bé, daru, sa kai kasé!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
sherbiebaby, I take it you're an acquaintance of Nicothodes? What with the artificial language and the propensity for stabbing and all, I mean.

[ Friday, March 03, 2006 00:10: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by arghhhhhhhhh:

did you know that on febuary 25 this year is mozarts 250th annisvery
There is something that confuses me about you knowing Mozart's birth date, but writing in lowercase, without punctuation, and misspelling 'anniversary'. :P

Also, this would be "was" as of the date of your post...

[ Friday, March 03, 2006 00:23: Message edited by: Left Outer Join ]

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

sherbiebaby, I take it you're an acquaintance of Nicothodes? What with the artificial language and the propensity for stabbing and all, I mean.
Who do you think TAUGHT her that stabbing people was good?

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #16
With Cav gone, I think Spiderweb really needs more girls wielding sharp cutting implements. So I guess this is good.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Left Outer Join:

With Cav gone, I think Spiderweb really needs more girls wielding sharp cutting implements. So I guess this is good.
Well, we have saunders. But she doesn't seem to post much these days, and I haven't seen her draw her Topicslayer Blade in quite some time.
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #18
Wonderful, just what Spiderweb needs. More violent people...

Happy belated birthday, Mozart. (Seriously, why did this get dredged up?)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
And Cav came after the glistening grammar scythe of RoR.

We seem to get an unusually large portion of the weapon-wielding women.

—Alorael, who's perfectly happy as long as he has the projectile market cornered.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 6845
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by Flatline:

And Cav came after the glistening grammar scythe of RoR.

We seem to get an unusually large portion of the weapon-wielding women.

—Alorael, who's perfectly happy as long as he has the projectile market cornered.

Yeah, well women impowerment is needed more than ever now-a-days.
Oh, by the way,
I AM A FRIEND OF NICO!
She happens to be my best bud in the whole world...
(and the only one that I can argue with and stab)
BESIDES...
WHERE ELSE CAN YOU USE AN ARTIFICIAL LANGUAGE???
(*why with your bestest bud o'course*)

PEACE!

--------------------
coco puffs and techno pop... sounds like a party.

Bé, daru, sa kai kasé!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
You would be very welcome to help develop the Vahnatai, Slithzerikai and Nephilim languages... :)

--------------------