Signatures

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Signatures
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #0
What lead you to the signature you chose?

I'll start, it's a prophetic comment from the tehillim (psalms) about what Darius the Mede, the soon to be conqueror of Babylon was to do to the Babylonians that, when taken out of context, which is what I did in my signature, is utterly disgusting.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
Didn't you have the same thing in English earlier - something about dashing infants against rocks?

My signature is composed of many parts that have each changed many times over the years. I think I started out with a link to the coolest website ever (haha), which right away earned me a one-star-karma (my first vote ever here).

I had an English translation of a song excerpt by Reinhard Mey for a time, then I ditched that.

I had a link to the Santharian Dream for a few years, as well as a link to the original Encyclopedia Ermariana since about August 03, which has since been replaced by the wiki link (still down there).

At some point, I probably had an excerpt from a Coleridge poem - either Kubla Khan (which, I have recently been informed, is apparently a sexual analogy) or The Rime of the Ancyent Marinere.

As was a fad at the time on Spiderweb, random words in the poem excerpt (as well as the Mey translation mentioned earlier) served as link anchors to various websites like Polaris, Desp, the Encyclopedia, etc.

In mid-2005, I became a bit of a Lovecraft fan, which explains my current signature. The first is a quote from Lovecraft's story "Polaris" (chosen specifically for putting in a link to the Polaris forum), and the bit in the location bar (From vertiginous chasms...) is something I likely made up from components - I can't find the phrase exactly as it is anywhere.

For a time, I had various funny quotes by members (memorably, "Spiderweb is just a pool of estrogen" and TM's "if you trick someone into throwing a pie in your face..."), but I dropped that because it would have been too long.

For a while, I had some semblance of "Et eärello endorenna utulien..." (Aragorn's ceremonial words upon ascending the throne of Gondor in LotR) in my location field, and I had that until 2004, when I moved to Aachen and entered that in my location, which has now changed to the Cthulhu bit.

A few days ago I put in a link to the Pied Piper archives and the Grand Endeavor.

Edit - Old sig at that time:
quote:
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey."

[ Tuesday, April 25, 2006 22:16: Message edited by: Nyarlathotep ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #2
I saw mine once years ago, at the end of an e-mail message, attributed to Niels Bohr. I never heard from the sender again, have never found the quote anywhere else, and have never been able to confirm that Bohr said it. I keep it now partly in fading hope that someone will recognize it and tell me where it really comes from.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar the Grey:

Didn't you have the same thing in English earlier - something about dashing infants against rocks?

Yes, it's the same thing, just in the origional language because there was just something lacking with the translation.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #4
Just a link to my website and what's there, and of course the almighty chicken gods and Olga's fortune kiosk. The older members will know what that is.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Infernal666hate:

quote:

Yes, it's the same thing, just in the origional language because there was just something lacking with the translation.

Whereas now, the only thing lacking is my comprehension. :P

--------------------
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #6
*goes off to check what the hell is in the signature from an another thread*

So, it starts with a quote from the NaNoisms thread from the NaNoWriMo boards. They're these funny things you write when you're half asleep, half in another world and you're just struggling to make your quota for the today. The father and the girl were supposedly knights and the author wrote 'with skill for great villainy'. It was a popular one and amused me also.

I've had some other things in there also, like a non-existant quote from a story of mine (I haven't actually gotten that far into the story yet), an Eddings quote to rival an old one of Khoth's (his was from Tolkien), and probably some other nonsense.

Then links. Homepage's clear enough. I have a blog, which I update rarely (Aran, why'd you get one if you never use it, and is it even you?). Then the Geneforge Annotated Maps site, plus the maps for the second and third. Elfwood gallery which I haven't visited in a long while either. No stories there which you couldn't find from my homepage, but you can leave anonymous comments. Then a friend's forum, which I should actually take off. It's dead as far as I know.

Then some more links. I had that phrase (or very close to) from my early days in here, and the links in haven't changed that much. They are... Hmm. Nuklearpower.com, that is 8-bit theater. I should change that. :\ Then Kingdom of Loathing.
My homepage again. My brother's homepage and a referral link to neopets (click on it!). Actually, I haven't logged in there in a while either.

I need to update my signature. :\
And my moniker.

[ Thursday, February 23, 2006 03:06: Message edited by: Hanttiworker ]

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"
"Well, whatever. Maybe you just ate something really questionable, or perhaps someone hit you on the head with something large, blunt and heavy just now. By the way..." Gil nudged Grul pointedly.

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Hanttiworker:

[QB]*goes off to check what the hell is in the signature from an another thread*

So, it starts with a quote from the NaNoisms thread from the NaNoWriMo boards. They're these funny things you write when you're half asleep, half in another world and you're just struggling to make your quota for the today. The father and the girl were supposedly knights and the author wrote 'with skill for great villainy'. It was a popular one and amused me also.
So which of it is the Nanoism - the "Son--err, daughter", the "for with skill" or the "villainy" part?

quote:
I've had some other things in there also, like a non-existant quote from a story of mine (I haven't actually gotten that far into the story yet), an Eddings quote to rival an old one of Khoth's (his was from Tolkien), and probably some other nonsense.
'... I had you once, and I can take you again any time I want to. You're not strong enough to refuse me." - Asharak the murgo (Pawn of Prophecy, by Eddings)'

Which indeed is a bit ambiguous when taken out of context. Wasn't Khoth's quote something about Frodo hugging Sam and breathing hard?

quote:
Then links. Homepage's clear enough. I have a blog, which I update rarely (Aran, why'd you get one if you never use it, and is it even you?).
I have more blogs registered than I care to count, mostly to try a certain blog service until I forget about it. I have a blogspot one that I update almost monthly (used to be more frequent). I assume you mean the Xanga blog, since yours is hosted there. Never used that...

--------------------
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #8
I my signaure I wrote only strange things, written by istinct. :eek:

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
IMAGE(http://progshop.com/photos/power_supply_us.jpg)

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #10
quote:

So which of it is the Nanoism - the "Son--err, daughter", the "for with skill" or the "villainy" part?
The villainy! Because they're knights (or something like that, I forget) and they're the paragons of justice and all things noble and here it is, the shiny sword for protecting the innocents.. and instead it's for villainy. Funny.

quote:
'... I had you once, and I can take you again any time I want to. You're not strong enough to refuse me." - Asharak the murgo (Pawn of Prophecy, by Eddings)'

Which indeed is a bit ambiguous when taken out of context. Wasn't Khoth's quote something about Frodo hugging Sam and breathing hard?
It was something abgout having Frodo's head on Sam's lap, but I don't remember it exactly.

quote:
I assume you mean the Xanga blog, since yours is hosted there. Never used that...
Not you then?

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"
"Well, whatever. Maybe you just ate something really questionable, or perhaps someone hit you on the head with something large, blunt and heavy just now. By the way..." Gil nudged Grul pointedly.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
Yes, it's me. I registered it, just never used it. :P

--------------------
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #12
Registering is using - in a way, in my opinion. But I give.

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

IMAGE(http://progshop.com/photos/power_supply_us.jpg)
On another note, WTF?

--------------------
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #14
It's a plug. Plug: Informal. A favorable public mention of a commercial product, business, or performance, especially when broadcast.

He's plugging his links.

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
Augh. Sometimes I'm so dense.

I'd thought his image was a comment on the post above his; that put me off-track.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #16
Well, part is from Menander, part is a plug, and part is Marathon 2. And part is old Power Computing slogan.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #17
quote:

quote:
Originally written by Infernal666hate:

quote:

Whereas now, the only thing lacking is my comprehension. :P

Is this better?

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
My signature is a spontaneous innovation of mine, although convergent meme evolution has reproduced it in several places online.

—Alorael, whose only regret is that he has no way to conveniently provide plugs or save quotations that deserve remembering. Buzzwords and pants come to mind.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #19
Lenar Labs utilizes a two-part signature.

The first bit is an in-post little "quote" from my -cough- most dear partner in crime (if he ever gets his rear in gear and starts writing again), which is just a little thing we came up with in a different forum. If I'm gonna make a post, I'll show it to him and and he'll give some sort of response.
I have had to speak for him on a few occasions.

The second part is just our team's name and slogan with a link to our host website that doesn't have our division posted yet.
Gonna have to work on that.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin says that he'll get back into scenario writing when I get the website finished.
I hate ultimatums.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #20
My sig is just made of wierd phrases me and my older brother make:
"I'm not as think you stoned I am" being the most
recent

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #21
My original sig was blank, to go with my blank avatar. Then, when I've made a webpage, I had a plug for it:

Avernum 2 Guide and Nethergate Guide are my webpages based on Shrodinger's exellent faqs.
Also check out Crystal Mine, my SubTerra webpage.

When I left the boards I've replaced that with a goodbye poem. Something about rising and falling waves in a storm.

A couple months later, I replaced that with my current one. It was very appropriate for the climate at the boards and for things going on in my life at the time. However, it no longer applies to either, so I keep planning to change it, but can't think of anything better.

PS My current sig (in case I change it later):
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.

EDIT: Corrected old sig. I like web.archive.org.

[ Friday, February 24, 2006 12:34: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #22
Let's see... I don't think I've changed my sig since I got here. Well, kind of...

The "Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice" quote was actually something I stole from a flavor text submission in a Magic: The Gathering contest. It was simply too good to pass up.

The undead bit... well, I beta-tested Undead Valley. That should explain it pretty well...

(shudders at repressed memories)

AIGH! Not another skeleton! Make it stop!!!

Wait, where am I again?

Anyway, I've debated the merits of adding a Mitch Hedberg quote or two, or maybe going along the lines of weird quotes from older members (as Ash did), but for the moment, it all stays.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #23
quote:

I'd thought his image was a comment on the post above his; that put me off-track.
But it's Thuryl, not Alec or someone...

EDIT (had to post first to see what my profile was): The quote is a line from an obscure but good book that had a pretty big impact on me several years ago, and still hasn't left my subconscious thoughts. It kind of summarizes my idea of immortality on earth, and my intention of doing or creating something that echoes noticably for generations.

The Polaris link is a plug, of course, and the other links are just various other sites I like, cleverly embedded in my little contribution to natural selection (the idea being that if a moron's computer happens to freeze while my signature is on the screen, they may follow my instruction and remove themselve from the internet. I don't have any real proof of its effectiveness, but on the other hand, I haven't seen a certain newbie around recently...)

[ Thursday, February 23, 2006 10:47: Message edited by: Lady Davida ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #24
My signature started life as just the "Thus endeth this post" bit, which was an ode to the end of the Great Spider song in one of the Averna. I forget which one it was.

Then I appended a lyric or quote. At the minute it's from a Morrissey song...

And of course, then there's the friendly invitation to add me to your MSN buddy list.

And thus endeth the explanation.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...

Pages