Physics, and a dumb teacher

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Physics, and a dumb teacher
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #50
quote:
Originally written by The anti-POK:

Energy makes sense qualitatively. So does work. Quantitatively I'd have no idea how to define or measure energy as "oomph" without trying to make it useful, which is what it is, which is why energy is a function of measurable quantities, more or less.

Basically, the concept of energy was created because it's so useful. The concept of, say, velocity wasn't so much created as given a scale.

—Alorael, who expressed himself very poorly. He should just give up before he confuses himself and switches positions.

I think what you're trying to say is that different kinds of energy don't really have anything in common besides the fact that they can all be used to do work.

[ Monday, February 20, 2006 15:51: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #51
I don't know what schools you guys are talking about. In my school all the physics students are in the same class, but it's just split up into two different periods. But then again, it is a pretty small school.

--------------------
-ben4808
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #52
We only have one physics class but it is a really small school and physics isn't a required class.

Dikiyoba enjoyed the forensics science class much more than Dikiyoba is enjoying the physics class. Working with poisons and watching mystery classics are fun!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #53
Does that one class involve calculus or not? Physics only without calculus means everybody misses out on some parts. Physics with calculus means some people can't do it at all, but those who can get more of the picture.

—Alorael, who could imagine one class with optional calculus, but that might spark some resentment.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #54
There hasn't been any calculus in the physics class so far. There has been some pre-calculus trig involved, though. And there a lot of physics in my calculus class.

Dikiyoba is 25% of Dikiyoba's calculus class. That makes calculus a lot more interesting than one might expect.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #55
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I have no doubt that France does that simply to be contrary. :P
Actually, they did the same thing in DR. You wouldn't have Physics I, II, III; or Math I, II, III and so on. You'd just have it year after year, and if you didn't pass it then you'd have several attempts to try to pass it, and if not then you'd have to go through a long procedure which would lead to you failing the grade. Hardly anyone was so dumb, but there were a few funny cases. I'm not saying it was the smartest thing to do, but numbering the courses never seemed like a big deal. All you had to know the material, and know that you had to pass the class, Period.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #56
By Dikiyoba:
quote:
Dikiyoba is 25% of Dikiyoba's calculus class. That makes calculus a lot more interesting than one might expect.
Funny. I was 25% of my calculus course, 16.67% of my physics course, and am 25% of my computing course (which is in University). Hooray for small classes!

--------------------
One more post I must make, and Apprentice no longer I will be!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #57
My high school offered regular physics, honors physics, and advanced physics for sophomores, and then AP Physics C and Physics II for seniors.

It seems that Thralni is in one of the former three.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #58
In response to the question actually, you don't have to use calc.

Here's an algebraic way to do it.

Consider this problem:

How much work (W) must be done to bring an object of mass m, and velocity v to a stop over a distance x in a time t by applying a constant force F.

Take the acceleration to be the constant a. Take the initial position to be x = 0.

We know F = ma, and W = Fx. Substituting ma for F, W = max.
We also know our equations of motion under constant acceleration.
x = vt + (1/2)at^2
v = -at
=> a = -v/t,
=> W = m(-v/t)[vt+(1/2)(-v/t)t^2]
= m(-v/t)[vt-(1/2)vt]
=-(1/2)mv^2

KE = -W = (1/2)mv^2

I have the feeling my negatives are shady, but this works well enough I guess. I'd have to look up an actual derivation to check, my mechanics must be getting rusty.

[ Tuesday, February 21, 2006 11:38: Message edited by: AxB ]

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #59
Yes, but those equations for distance and velocity stem from calculus...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #60
Eh, yeah, but they are taught in any non-calc based course. How else are you going to do free fall stuff?

In fact, if I remember correctly there is some painful way to get them without using calc. Besides the integrals involved to do them the easy way are about as easy as integrals get.

[ Tuesday, February 21, 2006 13:23: Message edited by: AxB ]

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."

Pages