Physics, and a dumb teacher

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Physics, and a dumb teacher
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Thralni, since you seem to need your own personal memo: I WASN'T RESPONDING TO YOU.
Jeez! NO NEED TO SHOUT! I thought you were trying to help me, and to be perfectly frank, I don't see that that message was directed at Ben. To whome where you responding then?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Heck, KE=(1/2)m(v^2) is arcane enough... how often will any of us need that in real life?
That's what he was responding to, Thralni.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #27
Just a small revision...

quote:
Originally written by 7 per day keep the doctor away.:

Biology is a subset of chemistry and chemistry is a subset of physics and physics is a subset of mathematics. If you understand mathematics you understand everything! It just takes a little work to get there from fundamental principles.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #28
Physics involves a lot of mathematics, but is it a subset? Math doesn't necessarily equip you with any of those fundamental principles you need to eventually determine the proper care and feeding of a paramecium.

—Alorael, who thinks Kel was upset because a certain someone else who shall go unnamed made the same mistake in thinking he was responding to Thralni. Kel pointed out that he wasn't, and then Thralni complained. Oops.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #29
Well, if Thralni knew the math behind the physics equation, he wouldn't wonder how the equation was formed.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Well, if Thralni knew the math behind the physics equation, he wouldn't wonder how the equation was formed.

Dikiyoba.

And yet it might become even more confusing as a result. I've found that looking at the derivations of some of the equations used in chemistry and physics (Schrödinger's comes to mind) just leaves me with a pounding headache, wondering where the heck they pulled the numbers from.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #31
So, mathematics isn't the solution to everything. There must still be something that mathematics is a subset of. Hmmm...

Dikiyoba.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #32
The world around us.

Anyway, I was just going to say that I believe the mathematical derivations of your equation have already been given. What other explanation is needed?

--------------------
-ben4808
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #33
Thralni, I find it strange that your teacher didn't even mention that the formula could be found empirically.

I think you would have enjoyed my physics prof more: after giving a rapid-fire introduction to specific relativity, she declared it to be a martini moment. She then consumed a martini and stated that the problem had become much clearer. Fun class.

--------------------
There once was a young lady named Bright
Whose speed was far faster than light
She left one day
In a relative way
And returned the previous night
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #34
Some of the times the mathematical reasoning behind the physics comes after the physics itself. The numbers are generally arrived at by good intuition and repeated testing.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

Thralni, I find it strange that your teacher didn't even mention that the formula could be found empirically.

I think you would have enjoyed my physics prof more: after giving a rapid-fire introduction to specific relativity, she declared it to be a martini moment. She then consumed a martini and stated that the problem had become much clearer. Fun class.

If my teacher would have just said how they put this formula together, then I wouldn't have been asking around for other people to tell me. I have such things earlier on. I found the right, siple answer in my father's 50-year old physics book, and not in my own book. That means something must be wrong, right?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 6689
Profile #36
Sometimes, different books suck more than other. ^_^

--------------------
--Dachnaz
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #37
Out of curiosity, what level class is this?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #38
I have no clue of how one calls it in America, but in Holland we call it fourth grade of secondary school (if secondary school is the right terminology, and not middle or high school).

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #39
Secondary school is high school in America, and a class could involve calculus or not. If the students are assumed not to know or understand calculus, trying to explain energy by reference to line integrals isn't useful.

—Alorael, who would at least hope that the book states that KE = 1/2*mv^2 by definition, and then handwave the fact that that isn't quite the right definition. As far as he can tell, energy doesn't have any obvious existence besides its overwhelming utility because of the formulas assigned to it.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #40
Energy is the ability to do work. Kinetic energy, a subset of that, is how much oomph something has when it's moving, how much work it can do on something when it hits that thing.

Never mind that momentum is also how much oomph something has when it's moving. They're different kinds of oomph.

What I wonder if is this is the equivalent to a conceptual regular high school physics, an honors SAT II-level high school physics, or an AP B-equivalent high school physics — because it's clearly not equivalent to an AP C class — but I don't even know how to ask that question in a way that would make sense to a European.

In terms of IBs, maybe? I don't know the IB system well enough.

EDIT: Ah, here we go. What physics classes are offered at your school, Thralni? What are their names and what do you do in each?

[ Monday, February 20, 2006 09:17: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #41
Does fourth grade mean fourth from the end, or fourth from the beginning? In other words, how many grades are there and which one is fourth?

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #42
I'm pretty sure that nobody counts backwards. "Fourth" means "fourth from the beginning."

A description, of sorts. It's as though part of middle school were combined into high school. You start secondary school at age 12.

[ Monday, February 20, 2006 09:33: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #43
Well, France counts their grades backwards, and that's 50% of the European secondary school systems that I know about, so I figured it was worth checking.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #44
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

EDIT: Ah, here we go. What physics classes are offered at your school, Thralni? What are their names and what do you do in each?
Are there more than one? the only classes which is "exact" are just physics (only one sort), chemistry, biology and mathmatics, but that's in all Dutch schools like that. Is it different from America?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #45
I have no doubt that France does that simply to be contrary. :P

--------------------

Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #46
I was wondering how long it would take before somebody took that shot at France. 4 minutes... pretty fast.

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #47
Thralni, I think we have a translation problem again. We are not talking about subjects, we are talking about specific courses. For example, mathematics would be a subject while algebra I, algebra II, geometry, and calculus might be examples of specific classes/courses. (I can't imagine that everyone in your whole school is in the same math class.)

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #48
They could just be called, say, Physics 1, Physics 2, Physics 3, and so on, which wouldn't give any helpful references.

Energy makes sense qualitatively. So does work. Quantitatively I'd have no idea how to define or measure energy as "oomph" without trying to make it useful, which is what it is, which is why energy is a function of measurable quantities, more or less.

Basically, the concept of energy was created because it's so useful. The concept of, say, velocity wasn't so much created as given a scale.

—Alorael, who expressed himself very poorly. He should just give up before he confuses himself and switches positions.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #49
There is physics 1 and 2, who are basically the same in fourth grade.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!

Pages