Cat mouth and head information

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Cat mouth and head information
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
I am looking for an article or web page with extensive information on the build of a cat's head, mouth and what tones it can produce. It doesn't matter if it's a normal house cat or something about big cats (lions, tigers, etc.). Would any of you know where to look? And before you take the trouble, Google doesn't help. 25300000 hits of articles about how to feed, give pills or inject your cat isn't quite the thing I need.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
Use Google correctly. For starters, exclude results with "feed", "pill" and "inject". You should figure out how to narrow it down from there...

Edit: No, apparently the Nephilim entry only describes general appearance, not that of the head itself.

[ Saturday, January 28, 2006 06:46: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
Well, I came up with this by looking at this.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #3
Aran: the things I eneterd where things like "cat mouth," "Cat mouth build," and several other things.

kelandon: Thanks very much. This will probably help me a lot. I thank you.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
One of the most essential features of most web searches is the ability to exclude certain terms by adding a minus sign. "nephilim cat -angel -bible" is far more likely to get the feline race than simply "nephilim cat".

Without the "not" operator, you're pretty much screwed when it comes to googling.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #5
I would think using the advanced search option would be more useful.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #6
Googled: Cat sounds
Found: http://www.thecatsite.com/Cats/Cat_Behavior/Cat_Sounds.html

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
Ah, thanks aran. i didn't one can do that. I'll remember that for the future.

I found the site you mentioned Drakefyre. I looks good. Thanks.

[ Sunday, January 29, 2006 08:57: Message edited by: Thralni, The flying Dutchmen ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 4267
Profile Homepage #8
just so ya know, chances are the head of a cat morph would be far removed from an actual feral cat head, same with the head of a lizard morph. This is due to a few factors, primarily the fact that the change in stance, from quadrupedal to bipedal will cause a change in the shape of the head and placement of the face/muzzle; and that sentience indicates that a species need be at least weakly omniverous, dictating in a change of the jaw and tooth structure. [the addition of molars and premolars, along with more, well developed incisors. The posture change mainly changes the configuration of the eye sockets and entry hole for the spinal cord at the base od the skull.]

--------------------
If everyone would just forgive someone else, so much pain would be taken off of all of our shoulders... but as tenderness is a virtue it is also a failing, any who would do such a thing usually fall to those who wouldn't. - Ezrah
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #9
maybe. however, whatever happened, there still will be a resemblace. Just look at the apes and humans. their still resemble eachother. I don't have real doubts if this is like with cats.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
Why does sentience require an omnivorous diet?

—Alorael, who can't quite see how a hunter/gatherer society has such an enormous advantage over a hunter/hunter society.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #11
I think that a hunter/hunter society has a need to move constantly, while a hunter/gatherer society eventually leads to staying in one place and making one's own food. After that everything falls into place. (villages, society, cities, civilization, etc.)

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Warrior
Member # 4204
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Ezrah, Kitty of Wonder ^.^:

and that sentience indicates that a species need be at least weakly omniverous
I elect you to be the one to break it to the Inuit that they aren't sentient.

quote:
Originally written by Infernal666hate:

I think that a hunter/hunter society has a need to move constantly, while a hunter/gatherer society eventually leads to staying in one place and making one's own food. After that everything falls into place. (villages, society, cities, civilization, etc.)
The dichotomy you're thinking of isn't hunter vs. hunter gatherer, as both would certainly practice some degree of nomadisim; this is readily observable within modern hunter/gatherer groups such as the !Kung San of the Kalahari, the Efe of the Ituri forest, or even among prehistoric human groups in the Levant. I believe you were referring to the diference in subsistence strategies between hunter/gatherers and early agriculturalists (although this is still something of a simplification, insofar as there was no clean break from the one to the other observable in the archaeological record).

[ Wednesday, February 01, 2006 09:42: Message edited by: Wotan ]

--------------------
What really went on there, we only have this excerpt...
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Wotan:

quote:
Originally written by Ezrah, Kitty of Wonder ^.^:

and that sentience indicates that a species need be at least weakly omniverous
I elect you to be the one to break it to the Inuit that they aren't sentient.

But they aren't. What is there to break to them?

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
The traditional Inuit diet is pretty close to completely carnivorous. Tundra doesn't support much in the way of vegetation, and what it does support isn't likely to be nutritionally valuable to humans.

First of all, there seems to be some confusion between sentience and civilization, using one of the controversial and politically incorrect definitions of civilization. Humans were sentient before they were settled, but settlement and agriculture allowed progress beyond subsistence. WIth surplus came specialization and all the wonders of modern life.

Hunters can be sentient, and I'm not convinced they couldn't be civilized as well. First they are nomads following herds. Then they domesticate herds. They may still have to travel to find better grazing, but they have surplus, which allows specialization, which allows civilization. Fishing doesn't even require movement, although generating a large food surplus purely from fish would be hard.

—Alorael, who is now reminded of the fun debate on the use of sapience versus sentience. The former makes more sense etymologically and is unambiguous. The latter is more common and, in context, doesn't just mean able to react to sensation or stimulation. Besides, by that definition sentient might as well be considered a synonym of alive, since life requires responses to stimuli.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #15
What I meant was that the Inuit aren't sentient.

Also, I didn't make any comparison between sentience and civilization. You asked what the advantages of hunter/gatherer societies were over hunter/hunter ones. I gave an answer that made no mention of sentience.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #16
More to the point, Nephilim are definitely omnivorous. They rarely farm (actually... have we ever seen ANY nephils farming?), but plenty of them keep veggies around, in Avernum.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #17
quote:
Wikipedia says:
Sentience is a capacity for basic consciousness—the ability to feel or perceive, not necessarily including the faculty of self-awareness.
Now, I'm confused Infernal666hate: how are the Inuit not sentient?

Oh, and sorry for the off-topicness and whatnot.
Warrior
Member # 4267
Profile Homepage #18
I made that comment because the "easiest path" for the proper nutrient balance required for brain development is relatively balanced in meats and plants. Although its possible to go completely carniverous or completely herbivorous, its definitely more difficult and it requires additional adaptation.

--------------------
If everyone would just forgive someone else, so much pain would be taken off of all of our shoulders... but as tenderness is a virtue it is also a failing, any who would do such a thing usually fall to those who wouldn't. - Ezrah
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #19
Originally by Alorael:

quote:
Hunters can be sentient, and I'm not convinced they couldn't be civilized as well. First they are nomads following herds. Then they domesticate herds. They may still have to travel to find better grazing, but they have surplus, which allows specialization, which allows civilization. Fishing doesn't even require movement, although generating a large food surplus purely from fish would be hard.

It may require movement, but Native Americans in the Pacific Northwest fished during salmon runs (before they were endangered and had dams and sportsmen and commerical fishing hurting them). Smoked dried salmon lasted a long time and could be traded. Of course, there were berries and other foods too.

Dikiyoba.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by Proud Owner of:
:
quote:
Wikipedia says:
Sentience is a capacity for basic consciousness—the ability to feel or perceive, not necessarily including the faculty of self-awareness.
Now, I'm confused Infernal666hate: how are the Inuit not sentient?

Oh, and sorry for the off-topicness and whatnot.

It was a racist joke. I was making fun of the Inuit. Congrats for being the first person to figure it out.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #21
That was a joke? Oh. Ha ha. Funny.

I guess facial expressions and tone of voice would have gone a long way in recognizing it for what it was.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #22
A better joke might have gone a longer way as well. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #23
If we want to discuss about sentience and forming of civilization, there's something I'd like to point out:

First, there are three seperate levels of sentience: capability to react to chemical stimuli, consciousness that there is a world outside and consciousness of self (or ability to grasp abstract things, whichever is more accurate). Now, humans, dolphins, apes and wolves (and propably other big predators) are on the third. Dogs, however are stuck in between of the second and third level. Do you know why?

Here is why: Dog brains are smaller than those of a wolf. That is because eating garbage requires less intellect than actively hunting. That is because eating carbage is easier than hunting. So you might want to revise the sentiment that taking the easy path will more propably lead in to forming of a culture.

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
Taking the easy path - ie agriculture instead of hunting/gathering - seems to have worked immensely well for us.

--------------------

Pages