If I Could Make My Own Fantasy Game...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: If I Could Make My Own Fantasy Game...
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #0
What would it look like and how would it work? What would it have and what would it not have? I think about this all the time while playing games. How would I do this? How would I change and improve this?

Here are some things I might build into the kind of fantasy game I would like to play, and assuming that budget and programming are not limitations. It’s a little bit of a fusion of Civilization and Avernum and my own ideas, just for fun. The game would be running over a period of years or even decades, and there would be a visible calendar running to see how long you have been at it.

It is turn-based. My favorite games typically are.

It includes the exploring of large worlds. This is one thing I love in my favorite games: Civilzation and the Averna—the fun of “seeing what’s out there”, but also having something vital to do with it once it is found. A well-designed world is fun and unpredictable to explore and subdue and utilize.

The world would operate somewhat like Avernum 4, with one continuous world, but you could zoom out to see the bigger map more like the outdoor view of previous Averna. Graphics would probably be 3/4 top down view like A1-3, but nicer and more varied, including plenty of dramatic and functional elevation. Some terrain would simply be impassible unless you had enough of certain skills in your party.

It involves the devlopment, management, acquisition, and growth of things: a home base, towns, cities, PC’s, skills, relationships with one another and other cultures, etc.

The foes are clever, diverse, varied, have personalities, and are intelligent. I would enjoy an Avernum type game with many intelligent humanoids such as trolls, goblins, bandits, enemy soldiers, mages, priests, wizards, and other humansm along with animals and critters. I think too many fantasy games think too much like D&D where you have gazillions of weird magical creatures which are silly or nonsensical. I like fantasy that has enough realism at the same time to help immerse me in that imagined world as if it could be real—more like Tolkien achieved.

I very much like the use of magic. I do not especially like “magical beings” like eye-gazers which are ugly blobs full of eyes floating somehow through the air. A powerful mage in robes casting nasty spells at my PC’s is more real and unnerving to me than some magical blob doing it.

Even strange beings should still obey the laws of physics and biology to all appearances. Undead in various forms I like, assuming there is a sorceror or spell to be summoning and controlling them. Natural four-legged critters in the wild make most sense to me, though some can be bred and altered by intelligent beings. There would be no giant spiders or scorpions, because a huge arachnid with an exoskeleton would rupture under its own weight at such dimensions. It has to be realistic enough to be possible on some level. A large troll or dinosaur-sized lizard or bird is possible. A living puddle of slime that moves as fast as me is not.

NO ALIENS WITH NEW AGE CRYSTALS, LASER BEAMS, OR FACTORIES would be included in my FANTASY world.

Herbs and potions are cool for healing and curing and strengthening, because some campaigns out into the wilderness will be very long, and you need means to do these things (resting also helps), but herbs would be much more regional and rare in general. No or very few wands and scrolls. You need to use real magicians on the spot if you want magic. There will be nighttime. If you want to run around in the dark, or if you cast light or use torches in the dark, you will face perils you might rather not (attracting all sorts of predators you won’t see until they are close upon you). If you don’t rest, your health begins to go down. If you do rest, you wake up when it is dawn again.

THE STORY:

You begin as a party of settlers and explorers who have been shipwrecked on a shore on their way to explore a fabled continent. Perhaps these people were fleeing persecution or opressive rulership in the place they fled. Or perhaps they were sent out on a mission by their government to explore the rumored strange lands of a continent across the waters. Either way, you have no reliable knowledge of what is there, just that something IS there, and there are ancient legends of strange histories and desolations of these mysterious lands. Nor are you entirely sure where you have prematurely arrived.

Beginning cutscenes or animations would show your party nearing their destination, but being run aground by a storm, and being forced to establish a settlement near the shore—the beginnings of a village to set up as a basecamp from which to continue their quest of exploration and colonization. The ship is largely destroyed, but some goods have been salvaged to get a new village running.

At the beginning, you, the player/PC are singly selected by the chief or captain of the settlement to perform tasks and run missions to help get the settlement secured and functioning. The leader tells you were brought along on the trip for your various talents. You now must choose, by assigning your skill points, what those talents for your primary PC will be. Early on, wilderness and fighting skills and hardiness are important to survive, so you’ll be likely to select those.

A source of fresh water must first be discovered. You go out alone to find it, and it will involve clearing some kind of animal or crude humanoid riff-raff out of the way. Once it is cleared, and you survive and report to the chief, you begin to see animated people walking back and forth to the water hole and the village begins to flourish a little bit more. Next, the chief instructs you to go find food sources of either fruit or game, and bring some back. Off you go again, facing hazards of the wilds. Once established, animated humans can be seen going out to hunt or harvest in those areas and the village begis to be built faster.

Your reputation and the scope of your tasks begins to increase, so at some point, you are sent to explore the land and report back what resources are available. You are given one more PC to help with your task, selecting a type—archer, fighter of some weapons type, a tinkerer (good with traps or devices), woodsman/ranger, or magicians. Based on what kinds of life and threats you have encountered so far, you will have to choose what is going to be most essential to your current task..probably a woodsman/ranger/axeman type would be essential, whereas a magician would be nearly pointless, but perhaps a good challenge. Resources such as wood, iron, gold, silver, copper, bronze, or other things useful to setting up forges and making implements would be discovered, and between each and your settlement is some challenge or hazard to overcome.

It might take a tinkerer to devise a means to get at something or an archer to kill an enemy too strong to kill face to face, or a strong swordsman to hack through some nasty critters in the way. It might take a powerful enough axeman to hack through some impenetrable forest to get to a new area to explore. (Or powerful enough magic). Each mission accomplished helps make new functionality and growth for your village, and you are rewarded in coins, so eventually markets and blacksmiths are set up to sell you initially crude gear to equip you for more difficult and long-ranged missions. As your reputation and the challenge of missions increase, more PC’s are added to your party (up to 5-6 ultimately). When you hire/join each, you have a base of allocated skill points already established depending on their talents. These grow depending specifically on the type of experience they gain. If a tinkerer operates a device or disarms a trap successfully, his “tool use” skills increase. If a fighter kills something with a sword, his sword abilities increase. Your PC’s grow through direct use of their skills and experience, but you can also train or gain skills from certain situations or trainers along the way.

Eventually, when you are strong and able enough to find out through exploration and conquest, you realize you are on an island, but at one point on the far side of the island, you are very near a possible continent. The island as it is secured, becomes increasingly colonized. You see some settlements pop up on the island, even becoming towns and cities in time. Better weapons and armor have become available. As you discover and secure luxuries for the people, your repuation increases, and things become more affordable, and more and better PC’s are willing to join you from the hiring board.

But now, as the island populates, your mission is to explore by boat and make it to the mainland. As you venture further and further inland on this vast continent, more resources, foes, monsters, etc., are discovered—some friendly people to inform, join, or help you too. As the map is developed and a landing area secured, a bridge is built by the settlers to the mainland, and your civilization expands onto the mainland as you secure lands and resources, making friends of any other residents, or conquering the occupants (probably a choice to do either in many cases, depending on how you go about it).

There would be large expanses of strange, ancient lands not occupied by humans at present (for the most part), but hiding old ruins, and some mystery of ancient desolations that befell the land and ancient magics, and many weird and wondrous or dangerous surprises. Ultimately, you will put the pieces of the puzzle together to find out who was there and what befell the ancient peoples. Perhaps something of the ancient threats still linger to be dispatched.

You are on the surface primarily in this world, but there would be plenty in way of caves or dungeons to explore, especially in parts of the continent which may have been destroyed long ago by great earthquakes or volcanos, leaving ancient ruins underground. Of course there would be valuables and artifacts to loot and acquire, but it would be a bit more precious and rare, not requiring you to carry around suits of armor and many other common things. Having someone skilled enough to learn the ancient languages would enable the learning of new skills or spells. Lingering hermits or settlements would also have wisdom or training or relics to impart.

Far in, some grave threats to your new civilization are discovered and must be successfully dealt with or they will overrun and destroy your new towns and cities, one by one, cut off your resources, etc. Various missions will be required, and you might assemble different party makeups depending on the mission you are going back out on...maybe some enemies have taken over the water source for a town far into the new continent, and surrounded it, and you must go take it back or the town will die. One of many possibilities. Maybe you can use diplomacy or trade to make friends of foes instead—or get two groups to fight each other instead. Maybe you can use weird magic to cause them all to flee in terror or develop a dreadful disease. Ways of achieving ends would be truly diverse and numerous. Or if you are strong enough, you can always hack through them.

Overall, the paths, routes, and sequence of things would be quite variable, and experience would be gained based upon what PC’s you select to work with you and what sorts of talents you employ. If you want to fight and kill a lot, you can make mighty fighters, but your diplomacy skills may suffer and you will lose out on other benefits gained from other abilities, including being able to acquire magic and knowledge.

Scoring or winning would involve the survival and establishment of your new civilization, conquering or befriending your neighbors, securing all needed resources and thoroughfares to connect your new towns and cities. Scoring might be based upon kills, diplomatic successes, reputation and power/skill acquired, timing, or any other mesurable variables involved.

This is all very rough, but it’s the sort of fun I like with plenty of strategy, exploration, a real breathing kind of growing world, intelligent adversaries, branching paths and many possible choices, realistic, honed, growing talents and skills, and a sense of real impending peril at times if you don’t act wisely. You will hit monsters, foes or challenges that might be way over your head just about anywhere, but if you pool the right party together, you can find ways to beat them, and it might take better weapons, armor, or magic skills, etc. later on to be able to do it. Or maybe you can do it now, if you can convince someone else to do your dirty work for you...or maybe you are clever enough to use magic to cause some chain of events in your favor.

This is just one game idea I thought up. Let’s hear some others which would include the things you would most like to have in a fantasy game.

--------------------
A4 Items List A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List G4 Insidious Infiltrator NR Items List
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #1
I haven't though much about making my own RPG because I don't know how I could surpass Jeff, but I'm glad you have a good idea. The next step it to learn programming and turn it into a reality. :)

--------------------
-ben4808
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #2
wow!!!! thats exactlyy what i was thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DO YOU WANT ME TO COME UP WITH CREATURES FOR YOUR RPG?
i am extremely good at hat believe it or not
for example
tarkian
2-legged human-sized creature with about 4 inch claws
as intelligent as a.... chimpanzee
it has 3 inch incisors and 4 inch lower incisors
communicates in chitters
lives on the plains
hunt in packs
wear skins and furs
live in holes about a foot deep scattered across an area with no tunnels
hairy and have a large snout

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Wednesday, December 14 2005 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
The next step it to learn programming and turn it into a reality.
Or better yet, flog Djur relentlessly until he finishes Pyg. >_>

[ Monday, December 19, 2005 20:15: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #4
agian example
kaltoren
big mammal
represents vaguely a scaly cat
uses its exceptionally large feet front feet to grab it's prey and then slashs the prey with it's hind feet
ask whatever sort of creaure you want and i can make it

--------------------
join me!
we shall harness the power of geckos, bunnys, and fluffy pink stuffed animals and rule the world!!!
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #5
example....(sigh)
this is a disease that your party could get
tupperhorridio
microspotic beetle
infect the lungs
get them from drinking bad water
they block up the lungs by pooping inside the air passage
takes a few hours to die from it
when the poor creature dies the beetle and it's offspring will lay eggs and start eating the creature from the inside out

--------------------
join me!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
Please don't double post. The Edit button exists for a reason.

I love "microspotic" as a malapropism, though.

[ Monday, December 19, 2005 20:31: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #7
Aside from the format - hero/party and turn based etc, the plot/setup/victory etc reminds me a lot of The Settlers series.

I like it.

--------------------
A Sucaran Child is standing here.
You say, "hello"
The small child looks at Preserver Aldous wide-eyed and awed.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #8
How thoroughly...gruesome, arghhh(etc.). The first two suggestions might find homes readily enough in the sort of world I was painting. The lung-boring beetles I think I'd pass on.

There is no way I'm ever going to learn to program a game, but if a powerful and versatile enough game editor ever came along, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try. The BoA editor isn't it.

This is why I think Jeff should solicit his audience for some new ideas...I bet many of us could come up with some, uh, fantastic game and plot ideas.

--------------------
A4 Items List A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List G4 Insidious Infiltrator NR Items List
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
It's a legal nightmare, though, and part of the reason Jeff works for himself is so he can write his own plots. Or not, as he chooses.

I like the generic goblin/orc/little green man replacement and the generic inexplicable fauna. The parasites I can do without. I have trouble with microscopic beetles (why beetles?), and I'm sure most parasites can find better ways to kill prey than pooping.

Mind you, I think I can live without more examples, too.

—Alorael, who has another suggestion: play Ocean Bound. It's almost a little bit kind of vaguely related to what you suggeste!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by arghhhhhhhhh:

example....(sigh)
tupperhorridio
microspotic beetle
infect the lungs
when the poor creature dies the beetle and it's offspring will lay eggs and start eating the creature from the inside out

*sigh* I quoted only this one for the sake of laziness. for clarity, this comment is for all of what you thought off: Its really extremely not creative. i have seen the monsters you came up with in about five sciencefiction films, so please, stop bragging about it, okay?

its quite hard to think of a beast that's not already been thought off, or, i suddenly realized this, isn't in Avernum. avernum really has the biggest "database" of monsters i have seen.

Anyway, think of one beast, and you'll always find which your thought off animal looks like. take the "Vlish" of geneforge for example. octopus (or however you write it). or take the "Roamer." just a mutated dog.

EDIT: By the way, i like what you said about monsters in your game, Synergy! Who sais a monster should be a dumb follower? it could also be a clever follower, don't you think so.

[ Tuesday, December 20, 2005 04:38: Message edited by: Thralni, chicken god prophet ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #11
quote:

agian example
kaltoren
big mammal
uses its exceptionally large feet front feet to grab it's prey and then slashs the prey with it's hind feet

My friend, you have basically described an unholy nephil-slith hybrid. Come on, you've got to try a little harder than that.

And the lung parasites were just sickening.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
quote:

agian example
kaltoren
big mammal

Creativity is one part inspiration to two parts coherence to three parts humility.

The level of inspiration appears to be insufficiently high to balance the lack of the other points. :(

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #13
I once concocted a conjoined twin gazer (er, beholder). I forget what happened if it focused on you, but it must have been worth seeing once.

[ Tuesday, December 20, 2005 08:06: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #14
If I could make my own fantasy game, it would be like Avernum 2, Geneforge, and my own imagination. It would be like the following:
It would have the Geneforge look and battle system, not letting the world revolve around you of course.
The Prolouge
The old insane archmage Chochang sent a powerful series of waves through the timestream. Not long after he teleported to the castle of the land and warned the king of a powerful empire coming. The king waved his warnings away seeing as how he ruled the world. Not soon later a magical induced earthquake split the mega continent in two. It is called the Fissure of Hell. as it leads straight down to the Underworld. A single island of land survived the earthquake. Covering it is the town called Hope.
Later your home town was attacked, rushing home from the big city of the western side of the Fissure of Hell. Now the country is launched into a massive war. Fighting the superior force from the future the soldiers of the land called the Ancients fight the enemy.
The Story
Really, really, open ended you can become a mage, a warrior, etc. Your first quest would be to kill the soldiers who destroyed your town. After killing them you learn that a new band of soldiers is seeking to destroy the legendary School of Magic. Your adventurers warn the school and get there in time to fight in the battle. The battle is a victory, but you get trapped in the treasury. After you escape the leader of the school tells you that if you can seal the Fissure of Hell that we'll have the upper hand. Sending you on a series of quests that eventually get you to Hope. With research from the leader of the school and a crystal from Hope you seal the fissure, and waves of soldiers from the east side comes to help the west side. Reporting to the king he promotes you to Knights of the White Light. Sending you to Knight's School. You pass with flying colors and are sent by the king to the teleportation tower. Where all the enemy soldiers are coming from. You have to fight through the Web of Death, and kill the legendary Spider of Death. Afterwords you have to destroy the portal, and destroy the tower.
The End
I'll take the time to explain the sequel later.

--------------------
Constitutional monarchies are the in monarchies.
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #15
Did you got the idea for an "Archmage Chochang" from Harry Potter??? ;)

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #16
Nope, I made it up completly. Why is there a person in Harry Potter named Chochang?

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Goldenking:

Nope, I made it up completly. Why is there a person in Harry Potter named Chochang?
Yes... the most annoying character ever. Cho Chang is Harry's love interest for the duration of the 5th book, and the plot suffers for it. But that's off topic...

Goldenking, that plot sounds like Valley of the Dying Things with a slice of the underworld thrown in for flavor. The enemy portal is a ripoff of A2, the Web of Death and Spider of Death are Shelob from the LotR series, and the town Hope is rather hopelessly clichéd. Nonetheless, a fairly coherent attempt.

Points for effort, Goldenking.

(I'll try and come up with something, so that I can actually contribute a bit more to the discussion)

--------------------

Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #18
Hmm. Well what I had in mind for a sequel is better. Tyrous, son of the late Chochang, has created a portal to the future. Naturally the first group was chosen to be sent first through the portal. After not coming back to report, you are sent to scout ahead. Soon after you will come the army. After seeing the towering matroplis cities, with almost no magic what so ever. After destroying one of the smaller towns, about the size of New York at it's prime, the army finally shows. You go to the capital city, about the size of Russia. To end the king's life, and rescue the two old adventurers. Fighting your way to the palace you save the old adventurers, who join you. Going to the king's throne room (who ironically has the same name as your king) as you charge into the kings room, you come face to face with a mirror image of your king. It turns out that your king is actually evil, and he gets eternal youth. With a powerful spell he attacks you. A pain shoots through you, and your sent to the castle in the past. Face to face with your current king. With a roar he attacks you, however you are more powerful then this much younger form, and you slay the evil king. The land regards you as villains, so you travel to the future through the portal. Their you are regarded as heroes, and bring magic back to the world.
The End
At least until I come up with something else.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #19
written December 20, 2005 05:35 AM
quote:
example....(sigh)
tupperhorridio
microspotic beetle
infect the lungs
*sigh* I quoted only this one for the sake of laziness. for clarity, this comment is for all of what you thought off: Its really extremely not creative. i have seen the monsters you came up with in about five sciencefiction films, so please, stop bragging about it, okay?

its quite hard to think of a beast that's not already been thought off, or, i suddenly realized this, isn't in Avernum. avernum really has the biggest "database" of monsters i have seen.

Anyway, think of one beast, and you'll always find which your thought off animal looks like. take the "Vlish" of geneforge for example. octopus (or however you write it). or take the "Roamer." just a mutated dog.

EDIT: By the way, i like what you said about monsters in your game, Synergy! Who sais a monster should be a dumb follower? it could also be a clever follower, don't you think so.
quote:

fine dude
i have way better stuff then that
i was just giving an example
and everyone i had those creatures from evan before i ever touched a computer

--------------------
join me!
BANNED
Member # 6554
Profile #20
and besides syngery you tell me what creature it should be and i can make it
for example a living gaunlet sort of thing
i would make
vrael living bug creature that grafts onto your flesh at your command
shoots living dart bugs that burrow into flesh

--------------------
join me!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #21
Goldenking, that sounds like an okay plot, but the time travel is a bit... well, it's like cheating on the story. If done well, though, it could make for an excellent BoA scenario, though bits would have to be clumped into the backstory.

As a game, it sounds fairly linear.

And arghhhhhhhhh, it's getting increasingly difficult to understand your posts. I'm honestly not sure what you meant to say in the last one. You really need to put the Quote tags around what you're quoting, instead of just before the quote. And use the edit button, please.

EDIT: What's with the flesh-burrowing insects? There seem to be a lot of them...

[ Tuesday, December 20, 2005 13:48: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #22
Hey, Avernum doesn't have every creature I can think of. It's not home to yrthaks.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #23
arrrrgh, your conduct is obstructing the board members and people are complaining. Please follow some simple rules:

1) NO double posting. Use the edit button.

2) Only use the enter/return key to separate paragraphs. In other words, do NOT use the enter key when the text reaches the end of the text box, this is unnecessary and makes your posts difficult to read.

3) Spell/grammar check your posts.

4) Ensure that all of your posts are on-topic and within the scope of the topic you are posting in.

5) Read the code of conduct for these boards. Any questions may be posted in general.

Failure to do these rules will cause your membership status to come under consideration and actions may be taken up to and including revoking your posting privledges. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #24
argh(...)...

You DO understand that I am not actually MAKING a game, right? I was just imagining the sort of game I would make if I were a game-maker...

...which I am not.

--------------------

Pages