A nation of immigrants

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: A nation of immigrants
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #0
So, you are from the Americas or perhaps Australia. This naturally means that at least some part of you came from somewhere else.

Which raises a question: If you were to remove as much emigration as plausible in your family tree and have it remain, well, a single tree, where would you be now?

(And for foreigners who feel left out: consider your ancestry - where, if anywhere, would they have likely moved, had they gotten a mind to? A harder question, to be certain.)

For myself, somewhere in the Irish south.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #1
The Highlands of Scotland for sure.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
Without emigration of some kind, I could not exist. My ancestors were mostly scattered throughout Europe, mostly in Spain, Sicily, England, Ireland, France, and so forth, but one smallish branch is Native American. Nothing really outweighs anything else, though.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #3
All my family comes from Caucasia.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #4
We're all immigrants from Africa, unless we live in Africa, of course. :P
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
Partly Silesia (Polish, former East German) and partly Northern Germany, though I've never tried to pursue my ancestors further than my grand parents. It doesn't mean that much anyway.

Except that I have what is probably a faintly Slavic-sounding name (ending in -ka), which would be due to the Silesian grandparents.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

All my family comes from Caucasia.
I had no idea that you were Colombian.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #7
Wow, I didn't know there was actually a place called Caucasia.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #8
This is where the 'race' refers to.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
My family tree is very much a part of American immigration. Russia and Austria don't mix in Europe. Italy tends away too. There were also those Irish Protestants, but they came to America so early that they were the oppressors of immigrants, not the oppressed immigrants.

—Alorael, who even supposedly has an ancestor from Spain who bailed out, swam to shore, and learned English really fast when the Spanish Armada started losing.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
Hmm. Let me see. Equal parts English, Irish, Russian and Ukrainian, with a bit of German thrown in. I think that about covers it.

[ Wednesday, December 14, 2005 14:45: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #11
My fathers parents were born in New Zealand and no-ones really sure where their parents where from. My mothers dutch so I guess I'd be in Holland or something.

[ Wednesday, December 14, 2005 16:07: Message edited by: Kingy ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #12
I'm pretty much a mutt with a small portion of Native American (I think Cherokee), so I really wouldn't exist.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #13
My fathers parents: His mother, Dutch, and his father, Scottish ancestry.

My mothers parents: Her father, a remote part of Italy, and her mother, Ireland.

That covers it.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #14
I'd be... uh... somewhere in the English Channel, I suppose. I'm mostly English and German, and equal parts both.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #15
I suppose England, specifically Plymouth. Ancestors on both sides of my family were on the same boat that eventually settled south of Boston.

*this message sponsored by the family tree maker*

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Belisarius:

So, you are from the Americas or perhaps Australia. This naturally means that at least some part of you came from somewhere else.
That isn't necessarily true. It is quite possible to be pure Aborigine.

For myself, I'm half Malay with a taste of Chinese, three-eighths English and one-eigth Irish.
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #17
I´m a nearly entirely pure austrian with a bit of America and Russia, or so I heard from my parents. :confused:

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #18
I'd probably be Swiss. That or Welsh. Mm.

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #19
I'd be in southern India. Not too much emigration at all in my tree, unless you count the Aryan invasion, without which I likely wouldn't exist.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #20
I have the geneology of a mangy alley cat: a little bit of everything, and nobody's been keeping careful track of where each cat in the feline family tree came from.

I've got blood from most European countries, mostly British of all varieties but also some Dutch, but with a bunch of American Indians thrown in during the last couple of hundred years.

And, based on my love of barbarians (Vikings, Mongols, etc.) and my taste in fantasy literature and RPG games, I suspect I have a bit of Cimmerian mixed in there as well. But since I'm the only one in my family with these, uh, "enthusiasms," I think it's a heavily recessive gene that pops up only once in a hundred generations.

[ Thursday, December 15, 2005 11:38: Message edited by: IRA Witch Herd ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #21
I'm reasonably certain that I'd be somewhere in Poland right now. Somewhere distinctly Central Europe-ey...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by premonition:

I don't think there are any on these boards. There may be a no-poster who is native to Austrlaia, but none that I know of.

[ Thursday, December 15, 2005 16:53: Message edited by: Spring ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Spring:

quote:
Originally written by premonition:

I don't think there are any on these boards. There may be a no-poster who is native to Austrlaia, but none that I know of.

Don't forget the Native Americans. There could be some of them on this board. Of course, even the Aborignees and Natvie Americans were not orginally from Australia aand America, but that's a whole other debate.

[ Thursday, December 15, 2005 16:57: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #24
My Dad's parents were WW2 immigrants. His dad was Polish, and was in at least three death camps, escaped 2 and was freed from one.

Immigration aside, I wouldnt be alive.

That being said, 1/4 from Poland, 1/4 southern Germany, and 1/2 standard london commoner, going back about 4 generations (fairly early australian immigrants on my mums side.)

--------------------
A Sucaran Child is standing here.
You say, "hello"
The small child looks at Preserver Aldous wide-eyed and awed.