The Worst Game Ever

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Worst Game Ever
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #50
As much as i love Half-Life and hate Myst, i really wonder about comparing them like this. Isn't it an apples and oranges thing? I mean, you can't compare a strategy puzzle game with an FPS. They're not in the same category at all. I'll freely admit that Myst is a good game too. i just don't care for that kind of game.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #51
Eldibs: When you solve the game, the game is over. What is so odd about that? To enjoy the game as a drawn-out challenge that lasts many weeks, perhaps months, I suggest playing without consulting online sources.

I've had great fun putting the games away and replaying them after around 2 years when I've forgotten the details of the riddles. But perhaps I just have a bad memory.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #52
One game with a similar story to Half-Life? How about nearly every FPS out there? Wierd alien things invading from another dimension... yeah, that's original.

Half-Life offers a certain amount of immersion, but I never felt like I was actually in Black Mesa - I definitely felt like I was actually on Riven.

Sure, the Myst series isn't very replayable, but that misses the point. The more you rely on story, situation, and character to provide the enjoyment, the less replayable the game is going to be. The more you rely on combat, engine dynamics and suchlike, the more replayable. They provide completely different forms of entertainment. You only get to gasp at the twist in The Sixth Sense once... that doesn't mean it's not as good as playing a game of footy where you can kick that ball over and over and over... it's just a completely different form of entertainment.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #53
quote:
Isn't it an apples and oranges thing?
Absolutely. <joke>Everyone knows apples are better than oranges.</joke>

quote:
Eldibs: When you solve the game, the game is over. What is so odd about that?
It's not odd, it's just bad. You can't enjoy the game as long.

quote:
I've had great fun putting the games away and replaying them after around 2 years when I've forgotten the details of the riddles. But perhaps I just have a bad memory.
Maybe, or maybe I just have good memory, as I haven't played through Half-Life in single player mode for at least 2 years, and I can still remember how to get through it.

quote:
Wierd alien things invading from another dimension.
The aliens aren't invading in Half-Life 1. They are just caught in the portal storm caused by the resonance cascade you created in the game.

quote:
Half-Life offers a certain amount of immersion, but I never felt like I was actually in Black Mesa - I definitely felt like I was actually on Riven.
I'm exactly the opposite. It felt like I was in Black Mesa (and City 17), but not in Riven.

quote:
Sure, the Myst series isn't very replayable, but that misses the point. The more you rely on story, situation, and character to provide the enjoyment, the less replayable the game is going to be.
Sometimes, the story can be good enough to warrant playing through multiple times. Also, that's why you put in multiple endings. Look at Deus Ex. There are 3 endings, and there are many things you can do to alter the course of the game. Its story is one of the highest (if not the highest) rated there is.

quote:
One game with a similar story to Half-Life? How about nearly every FPS out there? Wierd alien things invading from another dimension... yeah, that's original.
Sure, all sorts of games have aliens, but how many involve aliens, the government, an unknown agency, and lots of realistic-sounding science mumbo-jumbo all at once?

[ Tuesday, December 13, 2005 17:00: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #54
quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

quote:
Eldibs: When you solve the game, the game is over. What is so odd about that?
It's not odd, it's just bad. You can't enjoy the game as long.

Replayability is not king, or something like Asteroids would be the best game of all time.
Moreover, I'm betting playing Riven once takes more time than playing HL2 three times. And if you replay a shooter more often than that, there's something wrong with you. ;)

quote:
quote:
I'm exactly the opposite. It felt like I was in Black Mesa (and City 17), but not in Riven.

Different people, different tastes. ;) I felt like I was in both, for the record.

quote:
quote:
Sure, the Myst series isn't very replayable, but that misses the point. The more you rely on story, situation, and character to provide the enjoyment, the less replayable the game is going to be.
Sometimes, the story can be good enough to warrant playing through multiple times. Also, that's why you put in multiple endings. Look at Deus Ex. There are 3 endings, and there are many things you can do to alter the course of the game. Its story is one of the highest (if not the highest) rated there is.

Deus Ex is not exactly your typical FPS. And it doesn't have the same level of immersion as Riven...I'm playing through Deus Ex right now, and it's a stellar game (easily on my top 10 list) but I don't ever feel like I'm in its world--unlike with HL2 and Riven.

quote:
Sure, all sorts of games have aliens, but how many involve aliens, the government, an unknown agency, and lots of realistic-sounding science mumbo-jumbo all at once?
*blinks*
There are present-day stories involving aliens that don't involve the government and secret agencies?

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #55
quote:
There are present-day stories involving aliens that don't involve the government and secret agencies?
It doesn't count if the secret agencies are just part of the government. I haven't played F.E.A.R. yet, so I can't comment on it, but excluding Area 51, I can't think of another game that centers around aliens, the government, and secret agencies.

quote:
Deus Ex is not exactly your typical FPS. And it doesn't have the same level of immersion as Riven...I'm playing through Deus Ex right now, and it's a stellar game (easily on my top 10 list) but I don't ever feel like I'm in its world--unlike with HL2 and Riven.
Yeah, I know. I was commenting on its story (which is totally freakin' awesome, by the way). It has fairly little immersion. I do like how you can interact with almost everything in the game. I found it amusing to hurl potted plants at UNATCO soldiers (until they shot me).

quote:
Replayability is not king, or something like Asteroids would be the best game of all time.
Moreover, I'm betting playing Riven once takes more time than playing HL2 three times. And if you replay a shooter more often than that, there's something wrong with you.
Depends on the player. Personally, If I try really hard, I can beat most shooters in 2 days. However, they stay fun for much longer than that. And yes, I have replayed a shooter more than that (Deus Ex). Also, while replayability isn't king, it is important. Replayability is what keeps me playing UT2004 even after around a year after I bought it. Also, replayability is a good indicator of how fun it is to play. After all, if a game is boring, why would you continue playing it, and if a game is fun, why would you stop playing it?

[ Tuesday, December 13, 2005 18:59: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #56
quote:

quote:
Yeah, I know. I was commenting on its story (which is totally freakin' awesome, by the way). It has fairly little immersion. I do like how you can interact with almost everything in the game. I found it amusing to hurl potted plants at UNATCO soldiers (until they shot me).

Ever tried playing it according to the anti-walkthrough? It's... interesting.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #57
quote:

quote:
It doesn't count if the secret agencies are just part of the government. I haven't played F.E.A.R. yet, so I can't comment on it, but excluding Area 51, I can't think of another game that centers around aliens, the government, and secret agencies.

Combining a bunch of cliches does not make for originality.

I have Deus Ex, but can't get it to run. :(

[ Tuesday, December 13, 2005 19:35: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #58
quote:
Fascinating... I'll have to try that once I go home and get my Deus Ex: GOTY CD (I can't believe I left it at home).

quote:
Combining a bunch of cliches does not make for originality.
It does if it's the first game to do so, and it does it in a really good way.

quote:
I have Deus Ex, but can't get it to run.
Maybe someone here could help you with that. What happens when you try and run it?

Personally, if I were the King of the World, I'd make completing Deus Ex required to graduate High School. It's that cool.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #59
quote:

quote:
Fascinating... I'll have to try that once I go home and get my Deus Ex: GOTY CD (I can't believe I left it at home).

There's a lot of other stuff like that over at http://www.it-he.org/ , for quite a few games, including System Shock, Thief, and the Ultima series. The Ultima ones tend to involve some especially ludicrous tricks.

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #60
As I believe I mentioned once before, I once wrote a game that was intended to be incredibly horrible. The project failed, in that ithe game became a family cult favorite. But objectively speaking it was really bad.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #61
Fuzzy Bear's Birthday Bash.

Or something like that. Safer to not ask...
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #62
I just want to say that I like the Myst and Riven alot (though they both crashed), but I'm hoping to get Myst IV: Revelation for Christmas, because it looks very interesting.

I must say that for the Sims, I don't hate it at all, but I do think it is the most overrated game ever.

Castle Quest, though, is just the dumbest game ever, and would make almost any commercial game look like a masterpiece. It was made in Hypercard, and it has the looniest graphics ever, which seem like they were drawn in KidPix.

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #63
To be fair, I can think of at least three HyperCard games which didn't suck.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #64
I'm guessing Lost & Found was one of those three games. I enjoyed it quite a bit. And besides, you can't navigate by using "Go Back" or "Next Card" or anything, like you can in Castle Quest.

CQ doesn't even keep track of what you've already done, among lots of other stupid things!!! For those of you who are saying Myst or Riven are the worst games ever, you have never seen this piece of garbage.

[ Saturday, December 17, 2005 07:13: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #65
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

To be fair, I can think of at least three HyperCard games which didn't suck.
Is Myst one of them? :D

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Apprentice
Member # 6565
Profile #66
House Of The Dead (1997, Sega)
I played this 3D 1st person shoot-em-up before I started to dislike such games totally but this one was particularly impossible to go on with. I think it was famous, too.

In general I dislike non-fantasy war games (like the ones about WW2, Persian Gulf region etc.) and sports and flight simulations.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #67
quote:
Originally written by BainIhrno:

I'm guessing Lost & Found was one of those three games. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Haven't heard of that one; I'll try to track it down. Two of the games I was thinking of were the Fawn series, available here . I mean, they're HyperCard games so they don't exactly run lightning-fast, but apart from that they're pretty neat.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #68
Kali is remarkably unlike a Hypercard game for a Hypercard game (and somewhat Myst-like in its way), Chronicle of Ekan is a valiant attempt at an RPG that is kind of fun despite ugly graphics and some fun glitches if you look for them.

A question for those who despise Myst: have you perchance played Secret of Monkey Island or any of the other SCUMM point and click games? Do you dislike those as well?

—Alorael, who can't think of any other recent point and click games. Alone in the Dark comes close, but that's getting long in the tooth too.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #69
quote:
Originally written by Chary of Chitrachs:

Chronicle of Ekan is a valiant attempt at an RPG that is kind of fun despite ugly graphics and some fun glitches if you look for them.
Ooh. I stand corrected. That brings the total to at least 4.

(CoE seemed slightly unfinished, though. Either that or there was an Earth card hidden somewhere and I never found it.)

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #70
Someone say SCUMM?
quote:

quote:
...if you hated Myst so much, why did you play the sequel?
My thinking was "If the original sucked this bad, the sequel has to be better."

I was wrong. Simply no action in either game. Both exemplify why you should NEVER put more value in graphics than gameplay. They simply have nothing gameplay-wise. If there were more games like them, I would give up gaming altogether.

I would equate the gameplay in Riven to going through a maze that has beautiful scenery. I would equate the experience of playing it to stabbing myself in the eyes with a rusty, serrated kitchen knife. Now that I think about it, Riven and Myst are the games I hate the most. Actually, hate isn't a strong enough word. It's more like absolute loathing with every fiber of my being.

quote:
A question for those who despise Myst: have you perchance played Secret of Monkey Island or any of the other SCUMM point and click games? Do you dislike those as well?
Myst and Riven are adventure-genre games. This genre is not nearly as popular as it once was. This is because people are less interested in playing this type of game now. Nevertheless there are people, like me, who will prefer that particular genre to anything else. Have you ever played anything like Monkey Island, or Sam & Max?

It depends, really. I don't even know if I ever thought of Myst/Riven as a 'game'. It was more like one huge puzzle I couldn't help but continually try and solve.

As for Myst III and beyond, I don't really take to them - to me, they're just an attempt to milk the chain for all it's worth. The real Myst series ended with Riven.

[ Saturday, December 17, 2005 19:46: Message edited by: Kakakaka ]

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #71
Hey, Myst is an acquired taste. For example, it's pretty much everything most action games aren't.

But look at Myst I. It was made in 1994, but has beautiful graphics ahead of their time and is incredibly intricate and well-programmed for back then. It's also really great gameplay if you're willing to sit down and think through stuff for a while, and maybe take a few notes. It sounds like a geek game, and it definitely takes a little while to beat, but there's plenty of really cool stuff to do and experiment with, and it's really exhilerating to beat (even though there's not really an ending).

When I first played it, I got fed up after about 5 hours. Then a few weeks later, I went back and tried playing it again, and realized that I was taking completely the wrong attitude with it, and that you had to close the door to the elevator in the library before it went anywhere. Then I started really using my mind and seeing how things changed in the game, and it became really cool.

Plus, once you've beaten it once, you can, quite literally, beat the entire game in 3 minutes. Kind of a slap-yourself-on-the-forehead thing, which is much more ironic than frustrating.

I will say the ending is kind of an anticlimax. But if the original Myst was so much fun, the following ones must be pretty good too.

EDIT: Oh yeah. For the worst game, I'll say Ocean Bound, but that's kind of a given. Toxic Ravine gets old really fast.

[ Saturday, December 17, 2005 20:08: Message edited by: Robert the Fourth ]

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #72
Having just gone through Myst III: Exile again yesterday, I can say that the Myst genre is not really my thing, but the images that they put on the screen are more beautiful than any others I have ever seen on a computer under any other circumstances.

[ Saturday, December 17, 2005 20:55: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5604
Profile #73
I don't know how anyone can not like Myst (origanal) and Riven. In Riven there's a whole entire world with freaky little girls that run away and underwater submarine rides tainted with mind-boggling puzzles and a rich storyline.

In Myst there's also puzzles but the thing I love about Myst is that you go to an observatory, find a code, push buttons near a well, go onto a sunken ship, find a creepy castle and find torture equipment and rich spoils! You see guy's talking in books, you find grids inside fireplaces, it is just the thing to open your mind.

But the best thing is the little details. In Riven there is moths that you can click on for them to fly away. In Myst you open a box and find a decapitated head inside that really serves no point exept to express the storyline.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #74
quote:
Originally written by Nephil Archer:

I don't know how anyone can not like Myst (origanal) and Riven. In Riven there's a whole entire world with freaky little girls that run away and underwater submarine rides tainted with mind-boggling puzzles and a rich storyline.

In Myst there's also puzzles but the thing I love about Myst is that you go to an observatory, find a code, push buttons near a well, go onto a sunken ship, find a creepy castle and find torture equipment and rich spoils! You see guy's talking in books, you find grids inside fireplaces, it is just the thing to open your mind.

But the best thing is the little details. In Riven there is moths that you can click on for them to fly away. In Myst you open a box and find a decapitated head inside that really serves no point exept to express the storyline.

My sarcasm detector is sending mixed signals...

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.

Pages