The Worst Game Ever

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Worst Game Ever
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
DIE.
Now now, it's ok to be jealous, but just remember this phrase: "Da Nile isn't just a river in Egypt."

quote:
Face it, the myst series it terrible. Perhaps it is you sir, that should die.
While I agree with that first part, I disagree with the second. Unlike Rosie O'Donnel, he might be able to change for the better.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #26
Strange argument going here. Myst/Riven represent a certain kind of game which a person might really enjoy, or might really not enjoy. Falling into the latter category doesn't mean they are bad games–they probably represent the best of their genre, and many many people enjoyed them immensely.

I might suggest to consider a difference between, "I don't personally enjoy this sort of game" and "this is a BAD game." There are lots of sports games out there. I have zero interest in any of them because I find simulated sports really really boring. But I wouldn't say they are bad games because of that personal preference.

Does someone really need to be making points like this?

[ Monday, December 12, 2005 19:55: Message edited by: Synergy67 ]

--------------------
A4 Items List A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List G4 Insidious Infiltrator NR Items List
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #27
...good grief. The Myst series is all kinds of awesome. Just because they aren't twitch-based shooters for kids with ADD doesn't mean they aren't good. They're games for people who want to be immersed in a deep, detailed world, and they are the best games of their kind by a long way.

Some of you seriously need to learn the difference between "Not fun for me" and "Badly made".

Edit: Beat.

[ Monday, December 12, 2005 19:56: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4239
Profile #28
quote:
Originally written by Synergy67:

Does someone really need to be making points like this?
Sadly.
Oh, and since I never chipped in, the worst (technically) game I ever played was Flying Heroes, which was amazingly crash-prone. But I liked the gameplay until I realized there were far better shooters out there.
Gameplay wise I've never played anything truly awful as I just don't play that many games.

--------------------
There are two kinds of game players...those who are newbies, and those who were.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #29
It's always amusing when two of us make nearly identical posts at almost the same moment. Ash, you said the other half of what I was thinking, but didn't say...especially the part about ADD and 3-D shooters, heh.

--------------------
A4 Items List A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List G4 Insidious Infiltrator NR Items List
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
They're games for people who want to be immersed in a deep, detailed world, and they are the best games of their kind by a long way.
Half-Life 2. Good graphics, good physics, good story, and good gameplay. Detailed doesn't only mean good graphics.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #31
No, it doesn't. Myst, however, is a detailed world. It's brilliantly executed atmospherically, clever in an evil way, and I think it deserves its fame far more than the Sims (which I can't stand). I've actually only played the first Myst, and only through a part of it, but I appreciate it for what it is. That said, I can also see not liking it at all.

—Alorael, who was going to say that Myst is it's own genre, but that's not at all true. It's a point and click adventure pared down to a beautiful minimum. It's just that not everyone loves point and click adventures or, for that matter, paring.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
...the Sims (which I can't stand).
I also can't stand The Sims. I'm a little amazed that I completely forgot my hatred of them.

quote:
It's a point and click adventure pared down to a beautiful minimum.
Pared down to a minimum? All the point and click adventures I've played had worse graphics, and their puzzles had nowhere near the complexity that Myst and Riven puzzles do. I've never even seen a puzzle game that had more complex puzzles than Riven or Myst.

However, If there is one good thing about them, it's the story. While I wouldn't compare it to the Half-Life series, it's still unique, and better than Halo.

--------------------

E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #33
EDIT: That point now moot...

So it would appear that you agree that the Myst games have better graphics than most adventure games, better puzzles than most adventure games, and better stories than most adventure games... so wouldn't it make more sense to say that they're really good adventure games but you just don't like adventure games?

And I cringe to think there are people who think the Half-Life games have better stories than the Myst series.

[ Monday, December 12, 2005 20:47: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #34
Myst is pared down in that there are puzzles, environment, and story. There's no dialogue. There's barely speech. (I've heard that it changed in later games.) There aren't items to be picked up and used in clever ways (as much as I love Monkey Island, the simplicity is nice). It's truly just pointing and clicking.

—Alorael, who won't call anything about the puzzles pared. They are evil. They break brains for breakfast and crush souls for lunch. They have made grown men cry, little children cower under beds, and kittens and puppies suffer fates never intended for kittens or puppies.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #35
Throughout the first 3, the only speech is in monologue form.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #36
Not many games really spring to mind for me. as I have not really played a game that I think deserves the title of Worst Ever. A lot of games are just laughably stupid, though. One would be Shane Warne Cricket '99. It's not bad, just strange.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #37
If you really need to know a bad game, then it's Ryssä. I still like it though. Even though it's bad. Really bad. I just find playing such a simplistically stupid game amusing once in a while.

Other bad game I know is called Lada: the Ultimate Challenge. It's a copy of the ancient Spyhunter, and in the technical sense it also fulfils all characteristics of a bad game. But it's still darn funny to play.

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Throughout the first 3, the only speech is in monologue form.
Riven features a lot of characters talking to the player (as does Myst), and the final scene - depending on how the game ends - features dialogue as well, though little of it.

quote:
"But... the book is empty! I don't understand..."

"You never understood."

"Father..."

"Father? I am no longer your father, and you are no longer my son! (shoots)

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #39
quote:
Originally written by cAPSLOCKED dALLERDIN:

quote:
Originally written by Eldibs:

quote:
...if you hated Myst so much, why did you play the sequel?
My thinking was "If the original sucked this bad, the sequel has to be better."

I was wrong. Simply no action in either game. Both exemplify why you should NEVER put more value in graphics than gameplay. They simply have nothing gameplay-wise. If there were more games like them, I would give up gaming altogether.

I would equate the gameplay in Riven to going through a maze that has beautiful scenery. I would equate the experience of playing it to stabbing myself in the eyes with a rusty, serrated kitchen knife. Now that I think about it, Riven and Myst are the games I hate the most. Actually, hate isn't a strong enough word. It's more like absolute loathing with every fiber of my being.

DIE.

My sentiments.

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #40
Well, yeah, forgot about that bit.

The writing for those parts is pretty darn good, I have to say. It's not easy to have two characters meet, have a "dialogue" scene where one of them stays completely silent, and for it to feel natural. The games don't always do it perfectly, but geez, they make a good fist of it.

Riven is one of my top 5 games ever. :) I have realism gripes with the first and the third felt a bit tacked on, but Riven is close to perfect.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #41
When you notice it, it *is* weird. You have the impression the other guy must be getting creeped out by you just standing there saying nothing.

I can understand why Saavedro brains you if you do that to him while he's waiting for you to--- [spoiler].

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #42
quote:
So it would appear that you agree that the Myst games have better graphics than most adventure games, better puzzles than most adventure games, and better stories than most adventure games... so wouldn't it make more sense to say that they're really good adventure games but you just don't like adventure games?
They do have better graphics and stories than most adventure games, but not better puzzles. They have harder puzzles, but not better. Besides, it takes more than that to make a game. It has to come together well too. And I do like adventure games.

quote:
And I cringe to think there are people who think the Half-Life games have better stories than the Myst series.
Have you played Half-Life and Half-Life 2 all the way through? They have awesome stories. While I wouldn't say they have a story quite as good Deus Ex, they are still very good. They have suspense, government conspiracies, alien takeovers, and plenty of violent interaction with said aliens. And all story elements are handled in real time, none of that cutscene crap. They have great immersion due to this, and the fact that Gordon Freeman never speaks (giving you the feeling that you are Gordon).

quote:
—Alorael, who won't call anything about the puzzles pared. They are evil. They break brains for breakfast and crush souls for lunch. They have made grown men cry, little children cower under beds, and kittens and puppies suffer fates never intended for kittens or puppies.
Yes, very much so. Personally, they make me want to beat down an oak tree with my bare hands. If I wanted frustration, I'd try and chisel through a rock with a toothpick.

quote:
It's truly just pointing and clicking.
Exactly. How is that fun? If you can enjoy Myst for hours on end, then you could probably do the same with this.

Now, I'm going to go play Half-Life 2 some more. Have fun pointing and clicking.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #43
quote:

Have you played Half-Life and Half-Life 2 all the way through? They have awesome stories. While I wouldn't say they have a story quite as good Deus Ex, they are still very good. They have suspense, government conspiracies, alien takeovers, and plenty of violent interaction with said aliens. And all story elements are handled in real time, none of that cutscene crap. They have great immersion due to this, and the fact that Gordon Freeman never speaks (giving you the feeling that you are Gordon).
I heartily agree. Half-Life has a more detailed plot than any other FPS, albeit a weird one. What I thought was awesome was when they came out with Opposing Force and Blue Shift. Playing a game in the same situation from different viewpoints is pure genius.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Warrior
Member # 5550
Profile Homepage #44
Thinking back on it, I have played some pretty bad games, but I have never hated a game. I just don't have fun and put it away. It would take a game from Satan himself to make me hate a game, luckily, he seems to have influence over a lot of game makers. For example, the smuck who made E.T. No more explanation is nesscessary. And I have heard of another game, which while not as bad as E.T, it is on the Atari 2600 and wins the title of worst premise ever Its called Custer's Revenge. Premise: Custer is back from the dead, where he will transverse a barren desert, dodge huge volleys of arrows, and at the end of the level, procede to a cactus with an Indian girl tied to it, and proceded to rape her. Oh yeah, Custer is naked throughout all of this. Beat that.

--------------------
Q: What is the sound of one hand clapping?
A: The sound of someone getting smacked upside the head.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a good side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Don't worry Alorael, custom titles are overrated.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #45
quote:
Playing a game in the same situation from different viewpoints is pure genius.
Yes, it was. There was also Point of View. Playing through the same events from different views was cool, but playing through the events from the viewpoint of one of the aliens was totally sweet. I'm waiting for them to make similar mods for Half-Life 2. Which reminds me. Half-Life and Half-Life 2 have something that Myst and Riven don't: the ability to make mods. Mods can easily double the replayability of a game.

[ Tuesday, December 13, 2005 10:38: Message edited by: Eldibs ]

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #46
quote:

They do have better graphics and stories than most adventure games, but not better puzzles. They have harder puzzles, but not better. Besides, it takes more than that to make a game. It has to come together well too. And I do like adventure games.
Myst's puzzles are actually ingenious aside from being atrociously difficult. And Myst "comes together" better than just about any other game I can think of. Half-Life is most definitely included.

quote:
They have suspense, government conspiracies, alien takeovers, and plenty of violent interaction with said aliens. And all story elements are handled in real time, none of that cutscene crap.
Half-Life has an absolutely standard plot that's simply realized well enough to make it meaningful instead of ludicrous. Myst has a story all its own and an ambience to go with it.

—Alorael, who will run into all the "interactive movie hatred" by calling Myst an interactive movie, but that's what it is. In the same way, Half-Life is, at its core, a game where you shoot things. It's all in the details, and both games have them in abundance. Myst's details just appeal more to a different kind of person than Half-Life's.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #47
I have played Half-Life and Opposing Force, and they're fun, but the story does not even come close to thinking of approaching the depth and quality of Riven.

And hard puzzles are cool... I hate it when games dumb themselves down so morons don't get stuck. I like a challenge. But the thing that makes the puzzles in Riven so good is that they're all perfectly integrated into the world... unlike Myst. They aren't artificial things like "Solve this riddle!", they're organic things like piecing together enough of the D'ni language to figure out how to work some machine. That's what makes the puzzles so good, in my opinion.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #48
The Myst Series is totally not deserving of being on a worst game list. They're a well thought out game that is entirely unique, and born in a time when point and click was the best game style available. All the riddles have a natural place in the game world.
Myst- The puzzles, you have to get past the puzzles set to stop trespassers form getting the teleporting books.
Riven- Sent on a mission your in a dangerous environment and must peice together an entirely unique language.
Those are the only two games I've played in the Myst series, but soon I'll be getting Myst 3.

On a side note, I've done my research, the Myst series is based on real events.

--------------------
Constitutional monarchies are the in monarchies.
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #49
quote:
—Alorael, who will run into all the "interactive movie hatred" by calling Myst an interactive movie, but that's what it is. In the same way, Half-Life is, at its core, a game where you shoot things. It's all in the details, and both games have them in abundance. Myst's details just appeal more to a different kind of person than Half-Life's.
100% true. Well, actually, I would call it an interactive slideshow.

quote:
And Myst "comes together" better than just about any other game I can think of. Half-Life is most definitely included.
I never played Myst long enough to remember anything about it, but from what I remember about Riven, it didn't come together well at all. It was hard to get used to, and it didn't seem to flow very well. Half-Life came together very well. Everything was balanced just right.

quote:
Half-Life has an absolutely standard plot that's simply realized well enough to make it meaningful instead of ludicrous. Myst has a story all its own and an ambience to go with it.
Name a game that has a story similar to Half-Life. Also, Half-Life has an ambience as well. Ever try to get past three giant tentacles without getting instantly obliterated? Or how about getting get caught in a pool of water filled with ichthyosaurs?

And the Half-Life series has an advantage that Myst and Riven don't: replayability. After you've solved all the puzzles and experienced the entire story, there isn't really much left to do but gawk at the prerendered still images. After you've solved all the puzzles and got all the story from Half-Life, you can still have fun blowing apart aliens and blowing apart your friends in multiplayer.

--------------------

Pages