[insert n00b karma post title here]

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: [insert n00b karma post title here]
Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #0
Well, here we go... it finally happened.

My first vote! Huzzah!

I was wondering about karma, but I ignored it because I didn't have any.

Then, all of a sudden, I notice... oh my! I have a star! :eek:

So I decided to stop being lazy and try to inform myself on these strange, magical stars I've been seeing next to people's names... this strange, magical club I've apparently suddenly been inducted into... :D

Interesting things did I learn, oh yes!

You see, someone doesn't like me. ^_^

I feel touched by this. And amused. And confused. And more than anything, curious, I guess.

After seeing so many other "karma posts", and reading about how making one is a sure way to amass vast amounts of the negative variety I, of course, had to make my own. ~bows~

So here I am, wondering... about this strange and magical karma.

Does it serve any useful purpose whatsoever? Or is it just another toy for bored people to play with?

From what I've read, it would seem like the case is the latter, but I figured when in doubt, asking is always the best way to get answers.

Should I feel insulted by my new rating? Even if it's from only one person? Or, conversely, should I see it as a compliment that some lone soul felt it a worthy use of their time to *gasp* rate me?

I've read about the five levels, and apparently, I'm an Evil Priest! Oh, the joy! That's quite a title, I must say.

I've also read about how most people tend to ignore karma. That seems logical. But I guess, when something's new, it's always more interesting... this this thread.

I wonder, though, if karma's so useless, why is it there?

I've read the FAQ and, sadly, the explanation for "member rating" left me understanding little more about the subject than I did before.

Sure, it explains the "what", but it doesn't explain the "why". And personally, I find "why" to be such a more interesting question than "what".

Oh, and by the way... hi. ;)

I usually make a "Hello, I'm new, how are you?" post when I join a new forum, but I guess I didn't feel like it this time. It seems so... cliché.

Yet, here I am, aren't I?

Ah well, then I guess I should also give you the same warning I usually give when I join a new community...

Yes, I post a lot, and I post big.

No, I'm not offended if people ignore my long posts. I'm used to it. I recognize and respect the fact that most people on the net tend to not bother with mini-novels.

So... yeah... if you've read this far...

~hands out cookies~

--------------------
"Take time to listen to what is said without words, to obey the law too subtle to be written, to worship the unnameable and to embrace the unformed." -- Lao Tzu
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #1
tl, dr. :P

No, it doesn't really serve any purpose, and since you started a topic on karma, you will receive many more one star ratings. Its just the way things go.

Other than that, though, welcome to Spiderweb! Leave your sanity at the door.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #2
Hello there! I like it when new members sign up at the boards. It makes everything so much nicer with more members (as long as you don't appear to be a big bastard :P )

--------------------
"remember, children, that chickens are your friends. you must only eat them when you've the appropriate oven and gardening supplies."- As said by Benjamin van Soldt himself.

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #3
A karma thread doesn't always lead to low scores. I once created such a thread with the intention of lowering my rating.However, just the opposite happened.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #4
Thats because, if I remember correctly, you asked for that to happen.

--------------------
Polaris-- New location.
Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #5
Hehe, well, as I mentioned, I created this thread knowing full well what might happen. :P

But I guess that was part of the point. At least insofar as that I don't much care about karma.

Receiving a star prompted me to inform myself on the topic... and seeing all those other threads, I simply couldn't resist making one. Though I must admit that part of the purpose of this thread was to verify if I had understood correctly.

So bring on the on-star ratings! And the five-star ratings! And the no-ratings! And everything in between.

I guess another reason was partly that I felt I should say hello, and this seemed as good a way as any.

On a slightly more serious topic, a bit more about myself, or at least about what brought me here...

I've been a long-time fan of Spiderweb games (having played the demos of at least A3, BoA, GF2 and GF3, if not A2 as well, but I can't remember), but unfortunately relatively poor for quite some time.

As I've recently gotten a new job, though, I decided to treat myself!

So I started by registering BoA. We'll see what will come next.

So again, hello, and to those of you who've answered some of my posts up to now, thanks again. :)

P.S. I'm not a big bastard. Or at least, I don't think I am. I don't know if I'll appear to be one, though! I guess that's up to you to decide. :D

--------------------
"Take time to listen to what is said without words, to obey the law too subtle to be written, to worship the unnameable and to embrace the unformed." -- Lao Tzu
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #6
Pssst....don't tell anyone, but...the karma here is bogus! See, in real life you create your own karma. But in the skewed universe which is these spiderweb boards, your karma is doled out by the curious, spurious, or furious hands of others who know you not.

If it turns you off, you can turn it off. You can make everyone here see stars, or you can blot them out forevermore. Seize the day--er, night. Crappé Di-urn.

--------------------
[Insert Signature Here]
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #7
IMAGE(http://images5.theimagehosting.com/karma2.GIF)

[ Sunday, October 02, 2005 05:59: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #8
i think karma is fun, well im a "clean" but only cause a drakey rating :D cause i have 3 other evil priest ratings.
anyway its true that we don't have any idea about how we are really so the karma is not the big thing,is just like:rate and be rated for a one time post that didn't like someone.

--------------------
Death to my enemies!!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
Welcome to Spiderweb! Leave your sanity at the door!

Actually, that's what Alex said, but he used the equivalent of 991 words too many.

—Alorael, who thinks it's time to expose the secret of karma. Most of the time it doesn't matter, but if your account is eaten by the account deletion bug, it becomes crucial. Those with low karma are banned, those with medium karma allowed to reregister, and those with high karma freed forever from the endless cycle of deletion and registration.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #10
I must say Muji, I find it endlessly amusing how you separate different thoughts in your posts with five stars in a karma thread. :D That said, welcome! Leave your sanity at the door! Or window, depending on your method of entry. ;)

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Nicothodes:

I must say Muji, I find it endlessly amusing how you separate different thoughts in your posts with five stars in a karma thread. :D That said, welcome! Leave your sanity at the door! Or window, depending on your method of entry. ;)
~LMAO~

I swear I wasn't sneakily trying to get people to give me a 5-star rating... at least not consciously. ;)

I used to separate different thoughts by using "...", but I've recently switched to using asterisks, as I find it's clearer (the five asterisks can also sometimes be found in books, separating multiple parts of a same chapter when they're different enough).

Maybe I should go back to my "..."? I am more used to them... I'm just afraid people will find it annoying, seeing ellipses everywhere in my posts, especially considering I'm not "using them right", or at least for their conventionally accepted purpose.

I tend to find the "..." less obtrusive, but it's a matter of personal taste, I guess.

***** (or ... , if you prefer ;) )

That said, thank you all for the welcome, and a special thank you to Shindigent for revealing the secret of karma. So it seems it does serve a purpose after all, however obscure.

As for my sanity, I lost that many years ago. I'm afraid I'll have to find another way to appease the turtles (or armadillos? Or whatever...). Suggestions are welcome.

[ Sunday, October 02, 2005 12:31: Message edited by: Muji ]

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #12
EDIT: Sorry! Somehow managed to post twice! *rolls eyes at own stupidity and goes away to play with graphing calculator*

[ Sunday, October 02, 2005 12:56: Message edited by: Nicothodes ]

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #13
Muji instinctively scares me...

Now someone give me a one. Except most people who actually know how karma works and actually are still alive, have already voted on me... which raises interesting questions as to what else they're doing on me and how drunk I must've been...

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by The Seraphim:

Muji instinctively scares me...

Now someone give me a one. Except most people who actually know how karma works and actually are still alive, have already voted on me... which raises interesting questions as to what else they're doing on me and how drunk I must've been...

Interesting... instincts.

Any idea why?

And I guess I could give you a one... but I'd rather not waste my vote on you just yet.

What if you really piss me off one day and I want to give you a five? Why should I make you happy by wasting a one now?

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

I think this should be the official welcome image of the Spidweb boards. It's too good to waste.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 6347
Profile #16
Agreed.

And fluffy turtles they are? I just learned this in another post. How interesting...

Guess I was off with my armadillos.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #17
Karma? Pfft. It's all a popularity contest. Now pies... They'd be so much better. Do something good, and you earn a pie. That way people would be able to see how good you are, without being able to scorn, or give you one-star-ratings.

--------------------
Everybody knows, but nobody understands.

Thus endeth this post.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #18
But, how would a pie be delivered? I for one would prefer a pumpkin pie if I was to merit one.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

I think this should be the official welcome image of the Spidweb boards. It's too good to waste.

No, this is just for people who refuse to give up their sanity. At least in theory, it's not supposed to be the norm. :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by SupaNik:

Karma? Pfft. It's all a popularity contest. Now pies... They'd be so much better. Do something good, and you earn a pie. That way people would be able to see how good you are, without being able to scorn, or give you one-star-ratings.
Four steak pies, please!

--------------------
Polaris-- New location.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #21
SW is not a chatroom.

IMAGE(http://thuryl.desperance.net/sailormoon_sml.jpg)

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!