The 1 Dollar Question

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The 1 Dollar Question
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #0
The $1 question.

If you could get 1 dollar, but for every 1 dollar you got, 1 person would die... how many dollars would you take in the following situation?

a) Chosen people. You can pick anyone around the world, terrorists, rapists, the American Government, whatever takes your fancy.

b) Random people. From within your own country, random selection not by you.

NB: These people, would simply die. There would be no connection or affiliation to you, hell, even if you confessed, nobody would believe you.

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 46 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=lzwhYMnsFURK"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=lzwhYMnsFURK"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
A Sucaran Child is standing here.
You say, "hello"
The small child looks at Preserver Aldous wide-eyed and awed.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #1
This is a much better ethical question :D

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #2
I think they would start believing once it got into the millions of dollars...and it probably would...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #3
To part a), there would likely be quite a few new cars and beach houses being purchased.

To part b), much less.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

This is a much better ethical question :D
Death and Destruction, combined with Wealth and Greed!

What could be better?

(A Wife, 2 kids, and a white pickett fence? You be the judge!)

--------------------
You say, "hello"
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #5
Interesting yet insignificant results so far, with most people refusing to have unknown people benefit from greed. Although, I'm not sure greed plays a true role in this question. I went with 0/1,000,000+ since I believe that while the world is overpopulated, I'm not willing to take on the role of Death. I would be interested in understanding more the people who voted to select 100,000+ people for death, yet were unwilling to accept random deaths. That puzzles and scares me.

*this message sponsored by lenpw*
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #6
a) It depends if I meet someone I want to kill, but probably not anyway.

b) No, for all I know, that random person could be me! :eek:

[ Tuesday, September 06, 2005 16:03: Message edited by: Nicothodes ]

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
Random, none.

Chosen, well, I would have liked to answer none, but that'd be dishonest. Probably not ten though, just 2-3...

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #8
I answered 1,000,000+ on the first question, and 100,000 on the second one. For some reason I just couldn't pick 1,000,000+ with a clear conscience with the random victims picked from my own country.

Maybe I'm just afraid the nice lady running that bookstore in Amarillo would snuff it.

[ Tuesday, September 06, 2005 15:20: Message edited by: Icshi ]

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #9
I would not feel good about myself accepting blood money, and wouldn't want to anyways; 0 for both A and B.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #10
It woudln't be blood money—it would just be some kind of supernatural phenomenon, a beneficial side effect of someone else's misfortune. Somebody who undoubtedly deserved it anyway.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #11
It is blood money if you know that people dying is the result you accepting the money, and would said people have lived had you not taken the money?

--------------------
Nena
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #12
First of all, I think we should figure out exactly where these dollar bills are coming from. Are they mysteriously deposited into your account? Do they fall out of the sky? Do you wake up each morning with your socks drawer full of dollar bills?

Or would the "curse" be that every dollar you received, regardless of the source, that someone died? In other words, if you got your paycheck would each dollar you receive that way count towards the death toll?

And what if you spend these dollars? Since your dollar income becomes negative, do people start being resurrected? Can you pick who's resurrected? Or do new people just fall out of the sky or start appearing in your socks drawer?

[ Tuesday, September 06, 2005 15:35: Message edited by: Icshi ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #13
Don't over-complicate the scenario. If you need to, in order to justify your decision, then your decision probably isnt the right one.

You get money. People die. How much? That's about it...

--------------------
You say, "hello"
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #14
I'm not trying to justify my decision—there's no need to do that. I'm just trying to figure out what the heck is going on. I like details.

EDIT: If anything, I should be accused of either trivializing the question or taking it way too seriously.

[ Tuesday, September 06, 2005 16:16: Message edited by: Icshi ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #15
No, the details would not change what I said, but if you ask a question of ethics people need to know the specifics of the situation.

If the people the random group are destined to die whether you take the money or not I wouldn't feel as bad about taking the money, but I would still be bothered by taking money that is directly a result of people dying.

As Icshi said, where does the money come from?... If the money comes from anyone on earth you would be a hit man, and if the money falls from the sky you would be a glorified hit man. Does the money come from the people that died? That would be slightly more disturbing.

--------------------
Nena
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #16
"Not even death can save you from me!" said the all mighty Diablo when he chose to let a 1,000,000+ people die by clicking on the biggest number in both letter polls so he can live off happily with his money and let the hero kill off the rest of the Prime Evils, so said the Dark Wanderer...

Nah, seriously, I just chose 0 for both a & b. I wouldn't call it "blood money". It appears to be some mysterious event of people dying out of the blue and...birds suddenly app...I mean money suddenly appears...

[ Tuesday, September 06, 2005 16:43: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #17
Money enters your account, suspicionless. (yes, if you suddenly got $10,000,000 someone would notice, so, it gets new accounts for every X dollars, to keep people from saying that)

People die, instantly. Like you cut off their head, or shot them between the eyes, or clicked your fingers.

Its a question of greed vs guilt, little more.

Sidenote, and especially for anyone who picks a smaller number of people... who would you be choosing to kill. Whose life do you value at $1 or less?

--------------------
You say, "hello"
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #18
I think about 3 billion or so can go. :P

No, just kidding. I don't care if it's a terrorist or a family member; God loves them all the same, and we as Christians are expected to do the same. Indirectly murdering random people for $1 a piece is just very un-Christianlike, so I voted 0.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #19
Who's life is valued at $1 or less? No one of course. You can't put a price on a human life. Of course, that's besides the point and going off topic.

Like Ben said, supposedly all is forgiven over time. As this is a hypothetical situation and all, what if we were to change people into inanimate objects instead? It seems less cruel that way...

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
I think everyone is looking at this wrong. If I could choose people who would drop dead suddenly, the grave diggers would be making fortunes. Every single one. The fact that I'd get money too is just gravy.

When the people are random, well, it gets complicated. There's overpopulation, but then there's also the potential for disaster if someone important shuffles off this mortal coil. I couldn't off more than a couple hundred thousand like that.

—Alorael, who likes to think of his current means of obtaining income as a lot like somewhat random killing for cash. Does that count as a moral-ethical judgement?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #21
What is a human life worth? Those who are not willing to let any die for $1, would you be willing to let them die for $100? $1000? If you could get a million dollars just for choosing to let one person die, would you do it?

If I'm answering honestly, at the $1000 mark I'm willing to go down America's Most Wanted list or expediate the expected endings of those waiting on death row or help the prison population by weeding out all those who are going to serve multiple life sentences and never get out. Money is the root of all evil, and I'm feeling very greedy at the moment. I'm glad this is only hypothetical 'cause the temptation, if real, would be too much for me.

$1 per person is easy to resist, it just wouldn't be worth the time taken to choose people and random just seems too dangerous to me, I never did like gambling.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #22
1,000,000+/100,000.

I live in a country with only 20 million people in it, so if a million random people from my own country die, chances are that several people I know are going to be among them, and that wouldn't be much fun. 100,000 seems like a reasonable upper limit.

On the other hand, if I were able to choose to bump off, say, the entire population of Trinidad and Tobago, I doubt I'd lose anyone who I'd particularly miss.

[ Tuesday, September 06, 2005 20:02: Message edited by: The Tuskegee Syphilis Study ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #23
I guess it's not about the money for me. A buck? That'll buy you a small cup of coffee. It's about the depopulation of the planet. I'm amazed that so many feel they have the ability to play god and chose the dead. What if you pick someone that was 25 years away from curing herpes? or Aids? or SARS? or the next Van Gogh?

I'm far more comfortable with a million people in America dropping dead all of a sudden. Yeah, I know it could be a loved one, but that could happen anyways. That's life. Can't be bothered to look it up, but with almost 300 million in this country, a million probably die and more are born every year. It's not that big of a number.

If the money bugs you, don't use it. Most states have this wonderful ability to claim abandoned property as their own.

*this message sponsored by the vegas line, currently at 1:295*
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #24
A) 1,000,000+

B) 10. Very unlikely it will be a person connected to me.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris

Pages