The 1 Dollar Question

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The 1 Dollar Question
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #50
IMAGE(http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:b2kC9FXQFjYJ:origami.kvi.nl/photos/fit-joe/bill2.jpg)

Hmmm, this is getting hard now. If someone was about to kill someone else (or lots of someone elses especially) it would make perfect sense to kill him first. I don't see what you can do to save both lives, so. I just don't know. Maybe wounding him would be the best option.

Hurmphh.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #51
quote:
Originally written by Benny Boy:

IMAGE(http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:b2kC9FXQFjYJ:origami.kvi.nl/photos/fit-joe/bill2.jpg)

Yay for TEH NEW WORLD ORDER!

I wonder if there's some kind of time frame for choosing the people. Do you hand in a list? Or do you have the ability to make people drop where they stand for the rest of your life?

[ Wednesday, September 07, 2005 23:08: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #52
quote:
Originally written by Kingy:

I am a christian but I have to disagree with this. Even in the bible there was killing of people who had done wrong and there are definitly people this world could do without. If someone is willing to direct attacks against unarmed people then they don't deserve to live. I think that the ones who are causing it should die, not nessisarily the ones doing it. Just because a soldier is ordered to do something for his country does not mean that he is at fault.
You're contradicting yourself. What if a soldier is ordered to direct attacks against unarmed people by his country?

If they follow such an order, they are making themselves a guilty of a war crime, and should be tried by the international court along with the one who gave the order. The excuse "we were ordered to do this" was used far too often in Nuremberg.

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #53
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

What if a soldier is ordered to direct attacks against unarmed people by his country?
I suppose if they do this then they are, indeed, guilty and should not be on this earth. But, although I hate what terrorists have done, I feel that some of them have be fed lies from an early age that compramises their judgement and makes them feel that doing it is right.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #54
quote:
Originally written by Sunset:

Frozen Feet, what about the families and friends of all the people that would die? Obviously someone will find them and will mourn the loss.
That's something I can't do anything about. If they want to mourn the dead, then let them mourn. Thatdoesn't affect my selection.

quote:
Written by sunset:
Sure, the world would be richer (assuming the money is donated and distributed), but what if by chance the random people turn out to be everyone you know (it is possible)?
I'd consider it bad luck. After all, I made the choice and I knew the risks. If they die, there's nothing I can complain about.

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #55
quote:
Originally written by Frozen Feet:

quote:
Originally written by Sunset:

Frozen Feet, what about the families and friends of all the people that would die? Obviously someone will find them and will mourn the loss.
That's something I can't do anything about. If they want to mourn the dead, then let them mourn. Thatdoesn't affect my selection.

quote:
Written by sunset:
Sure, the world would be richer (assuming the money is donated and distributed), but what if by chance the random people turn out to be everyone you know (it is possible)?
I'd consider it bad luck. After all, I made the choice and I knew the risks. If they die, there's nothing I can complain about.

Indeed, you couldn't complain. But you'd better pray to God there's no afterlife.

Wait. That sounded wrong.

[ Thursday, September 08, 2005 04:37: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #56
quote:
Originally written by kuc:

quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

This is a much better ethical question :D
Death and Destruction, combined with Wealth and Greed!

What could be better?

(A Wife, 2 kids, and a white pickett fence? You be the judge!)

I say, a chicken, a duch and a piece of
Brathähnchen (Sorry Aran if i misspelled it :) )

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Warrior
Member # 5550
Profile Homepage #57
A) 10. Osama Bin Ladin would be on the list. I would research who are the most evil bastards out there before getting my 10$.

B) None. Its random people for a dollar. Not right.

--------------------
Most Important Questions:
Why does one sock go missing?
What is the purpose of meaning?
What is the purpose of girls?
What happened to the other one?
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #58
Hmmm. There's an idea. You could get $1 for the death of Osama and then the hefty award ($5 million I think) for proof of his death or capture. The problem would be getting that proof.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #59
You'd have a dollar :)

quote:
I suppose if they do this then they are, indeed, guilty and should not be on this earth. But, although I hate what terrorists have done, I feel that some of them have be fed lies from an early age that compramises their judgement and makes them feel that doing it is right.
Terrorists come from a different culture than the sheltered lives of rich countries like American and the European powers. Complaining about 20,000 dollars a year? Some middle easterners are lucky to make a dollar a day.

Terrorists are probably around for similar reasons there were Crusades. Wealth, honor, and a nice spot in Muslim heaven. Just because you dont agree with their culture, doesn't make it lies. It's what they believe in, and what they're willing to sacrifice their lives for. How can you distinguish their sacrfice from that of the brave American and Ally soldiers in Iraq?

[ Thursday, September 08, 2005 18:14: Message edited by: +1 Slith ]
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #60
They are murdering innocent civilians at random in an effort to create an atmosphere of terror and to bring civilized society to its knees. The soldiers are there to defend the innocent civilians and protect the infant democracy. Please, Slith, get off your belly and pull up your pants; the enemies of humanity have had enough already.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #61
quote:
Originally written by Lady Davida:

They are murdering innocent civilians at random in an effort to create an atmosphere of terror and to bring civilized society to its knees. The soldiers are there to defend the innocent civilians and protect the infant democracy. Please, Slith, get off your belly and pull up your pants; the enemies of humanity have had enough already.
Amen to that.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #62
quote:
Originally written by Kingy:

quote:
Originally written by Lady Davida:

quote:
Originally written by +1 Slith:

Terrorists are probably around for similar reasons there were Crusades. Wealth, honor, and a nice spot in Muslim heaven. Just because you dont agree with their culture, doesn't make it lies. It's what they believe in, and what they're willing to sacrifice their lives for. How can you distinguish their sacrfice from that of the brave American and Ally soldiers in Iraq?

Amen to that.

Messrs, can we take the politics to http://freerepublic.com and http://democraticunderground.org , please? The issues may have a place here, the polemic does not, and the insults even less.

[ Thursday, September 08, 2005 23:25: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------

Pages