Finals Fever

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Finals Fever
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #0
Ok, the AFL has reached the finals...West Coast, Adelaide, St. Kilda, Geelong, Port Adelaide, Melbourne, Geelong, Kangaroos and Sydney all have a chance of winning the coveted AFL premiership. So, I ask all who know/care what I'm on about: Who do you think will win the premiership in 2005? I personally think that West Coast or Sydney will win, as they are both excellent sides. Sydney's forward line is especially good, with big bad bustlin' Barry Hall as their leading man.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #1
What does AFL stand for?

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #2
Australian Football Leauge. Its played, obviously, in Austrlaia. Two teams of 18 people try and get an oval shaped leather football through two big sticks at the end of the football ground, an oval. You can kick or handball it to your other teammates, and you can tackle the opposition when they have the ball, but you cannot trip, tackle head high, throw the ball or tackle them when they don't have the ball.

--------------------

Polaris
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
I'm more interested in the start of the A-league :P

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #4
Ah, but you see, footy is the most watched sport in Australia, and most likley the most played. Causing others pain is so fun. Even better when you are allowed.

--------------------

Polaris
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #5
I've taken on the identity of a Crows supporter over here, so I was very happy to see them steal the top spot from the Weagles at the last moment. They're sailing well at the moment and I think they have a big chance. Mind, St Kilda looked very scary while they were thrashing Brisbane, so it'll be interesting to see how that game goes without Riccutio.

I hope Port do well - I'd love to see an all-Adelaide final.

EDIT: Mate, not everyone's in Australia, and I suspect that soccer is slightly more popular worldwide.

[ Monday, August 29, 2005 02:15: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #6
Yeah, football is the most watched sport in England, usually. However this summer a lot of people are watching cricket, for some reason.

--------------------
Everything I know about the Avernum Trilogy: [ A1 | A2 | A3 ]
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #7
Here we go again. Australian Rules Football is nothing like soccer (European football).

And that Ashes jab was low. :P

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #8
I like a lot of sports, yet the only sport I actually follow is baseball. But the yankees have been playing so bad this year that I don't even bother.

Edit: to Drakey: I never really liked the Orioles. If I were to be a fan of another team it would be the Mets or Boston.

[ Monday, August 29, 2005 03:43: Message edited by: Marlenny ]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #9
Try being an Orioles fan :P

Oh, the heartbreak ...

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #10
Sorry, Drakey - I have little sympathy for the Orioles given their owner Angelo's despicable behavior toward the Nats.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #11
I'm also a baseball fan, but I pay very little attention to the AL. Go Cardinals! It's been a few good years for us.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

I've taken on the identity of a Crows supporter over here, so I was very happy to see them steal the top spot from the Weagles at the last moment. They're sailing well at the moment and I think they have a big chance. Mind, St Kilda looked very scary while they were thrashing Brisbane, so it'll be interesting to see how that game goes without Riccutio.

I hope Port do well - I'd love to see an all-Adelaide final.

Port can kiss my behind, I hate them.

And I think that the Saints will kill Adelaide; 5 excellent players in, Fraser Gherig a.k.a the 'G-train' and Xavier Clarke, to name two. And with their inspirational leader out, I think that Adleaide will be very depleted.

--------------------

Polaris
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #13
That's a double edged sword - some of those players who have been out for a bit might have trouble getting back up to speed, in what will definitely be an intense game.

Sure, St Kilda have tons of stars. But there's a reason Adelaide is #1 on the ladder and St Kilda is #4 - the Saints can be inconsistent, and Adelaide has rarely played a bad game this year. And they've shown they can win premierships without the big Roo.

I'd also remind you of the 44 point margin in Adelaide's favour last time they played.

That said, if Milne plays like he did last week, we're sunk.

Edited out redundant redundancy.

[ Monday, August 29, 2005 16:02: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

I'm also a baseball fan, but I pay very little attention to the AL. Go Cardinals! It's been a few good years for us.
Yes, exactly. The Cardinals are definately the best. They just had a tough time last year at the world series. This year... they dominate!

However, I've never seen Australian "footy" or heard about it anywhere other than on these message boards, so I can't say I have a team preference there.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #15
You're a Collingwood supporter, you just don't know it yet.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #16
Finals Fever?

I send my hope that you have a complete and rapid recovery from what sounds like a terrible illness.

*this message sponsored by the "couldn't be bothered to" reading club*
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #17
It lasts between a week and a month. Tends to get contracted at the end of winter.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
quote:

On what do you base this?

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
Collingwood is the default team for people who don't actually like football but feel compelled to support a team anyway.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #20
Crows are the flag favourites imo.

I'm an Essendon supported so at the end of the day I dont care too much.

I think the Crows/Saints game this weekend, would make for the best grand final. I think West Coast have lost their spark, and dont have what it takes to win. They're a fair chance to go out in straight sets, losing to Sydney, then whoever they get.

Nobody in the bottom 4 can win the grand final. I'd put money on Adelaide, St Kilda, and maybe West Coast if they recover. Port have nothing.

Footy is great for beer and bbq's, I'm all for it.

--------------------
A Sucaran Child is standing here.
You say, "hello"
The small child looks at Preserver Aldous wide-eyed and awed.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #21
quote:

You have no idea how much that made me laugh.

I do like Adelaide, just not Port Adelaide. For Adelaide, Nigel Smart was an excellent player.

Milne's 11 goals was amazing...the Sainters thrashed Brisbane.

I keep teasing my father, as he is a Bulldogs supporter, and because my team (Essendon) lost, they are out of the finals. :P

Thuryl — and for the idiots who don't like any other team by love footy anyway.

kuc — I don't know, the best out of the bottom four are Geelong, but even they are no good...interesting to see the results.

--------------------

Polaris
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #22
Yes, I remember now. I have seen aussie "football" before. Looks like a cool demented game, much like Rugby.

But there is something we all now here. The REAL football is the S. Amercian, European, African and Asian football. The one were you play with... the feet!

The Australian one and the N. American one are NOT football. :P

Football is the ultimate world sport. :cool:

Btw, does any other country in Oceania play Australian "football"?

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #23
New Zealand perhaps? Not sure, though...

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #24
No, the Kiwis are all about rugby, though the All Blacks cricket team has done somewhat well in the past.

Pages