Finals Fever

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Finals Fever
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #25
Actually, the All Blacks is the name of their rugby team. The New Zealand cricket team, so far as I am aware, doesn't have any particular name -- cricket teams don't traditionally have names.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #26
NZ Cricket team is proverbially known as the "Black Caps" (for somewhat obvious reasons)

--------------------
A Sucaran Child is standing here.
You say, "hello"
The small child looks at Preserver Aldous wide-eyed and awed.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by The_Nazgul:

Yes, I remember now. I have seen aussie "football" before. Looks like a cool demented game, much like Rugby.

But there is something we all now here. The REAL football is the S. Amercian, European, African and Asian football. The one were you play with... the feet!

The Australian one and the N. American one are NOT football. :P

Football is the ultimate world sport. :cool:

Btw, does any other country in Oceania play Australian "football"?

To be fair, the full name is "Australian Rules Football", which implies that it's not like other kinds of football (such as soccer, which obviously is the most foot-oriented).

It's quite different to Rugby.

Several of the small island nations like the Solomon Islands play Aussie Rules. It's also played in places like India and the USA, though it's not a big crowd-puller. And Irish Gaelic Football is somewhat similar.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #28
Speaking of Gaelic, Ash, who do you think will captain the all Australian side this year? I think it would be Ben Cousins or Nick Reidwoldt, they are both good players, and pretty popular.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #29
I hope it's Roo, though the suspension will probably do him no favours. He's responded really well to the responsibility of the Adelaide captaincy and is twice the player now that he was before he got the job.

Otherwise, Cousins. Riewoldt is still too young, I think.

[ Wednesday, August 31, 2005 01:45: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shock Trooper
Member # 565
Profile #30
Oh come on, the Crows have to win. They have had one of their best seasons - even better that when they won back to back premierships. Plus the Power just suck - I mean come on they had Shaun Rehn on their team, talk about tempremental players.

But i would like to see a Crows vs Port grand final just to see the Port fans cry :P

P.S. do you think that if both sa teams are in the grand final do you think they will let us have it in Adelaide????

--------------------
If there is no light at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and turn the damm thing on yourself!

people often tell me i've lost my mind, but i tell them i have to have one to lose it!

lions and tigers and bears, oh my!
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by dreamqueen:

Oh come on, the Crows have to win. They have had one of their best seasons - even better that when they won back to back premierships. Plus the Power just suck - I mean come on they had Shaun Rehn on their team, talk about tempremental players.

Erm... Shaun Rehn was a Crows player, not a Port player... how on earth you managed to mix them up, we'll never know...

--------------------
You say, "hello"
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Riewoldt is still too young, I think.
Well, yes, he is only 19, but apart from the all the crying he has done, he has proved to be a good leader.

quote:
Orginally written by dreamqueen:
P.S. do you think that if both sa teams are in the grand final do you think they will let us have it in Adelaide????
No. MCG will be the ground for the 'Granny' this year, and hopefully every other team. The MCG is the home of footy.

kuc — Shaun Rehn also played sveral great seasons with Hawthorn, IIRC.

--------------------

Polaris
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #33
You're off by 3 years. Riewoldt is 22.

I think if both teams are SA or both are WA, the Grand Final should be held on their home turf - they've earned it. Otherwise, the MCG.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #34
Damn, is he really? I was way off.

I think that the AFL will keep it in Victoria regardless of the teams playing in it, as they will want as much money as they can for the league, and Victoria will provide.

--------------------

Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #35
Its not even about that Spring, the AFL and MCC have huge contracts governing which games, and how many games, are played at the MCG each season.

There had to be massive contractual negotiations, just to have BOTH qualifying finals outside of the MCG (ie, West Coast and Adelaide, finishing 2 and 1). This was basically, at the agreement to hold more seasonal blockbusters at the MCC.

Whether or not Melbourne is the "home" of football, is ultimately irrelevant. The MCC has a contractual stranglehold on the AFL, always has.

--------------------
You say, "hello"
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #36
What exactly are the terms of the contract, anyway? The impression I got from the news is that the AFL has to agree to the contract in order to be able to host games at the MCG. Can the AFL just choose to end its contract with the MCC, hold no games at the MCG at all and thereby avoid being bound by the MCC's restrictions?

[ Wednesday, August 31, 2005 02:34: Message edited by: Gastric Freezing ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #37
The AFL stands on its head.
The MCC holds the AFL by its groin.

Now, put that into a contract.

The AFL cant end its contract with the MCC. It couldn't afford to buy it out, nor the litigation involved. And at any rate, the MCG is still the premier AFL venue. The AFL needs the MCG, and the MCC holds the AFL's groin tightly for whatever it wants.

--------------------
You say, "hello"
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #38
I never realized there are so many Australians on this board. :)

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #39
Spring, in terms of revenue, if Adelaide or Perth got the Grand Final, with both their home teams playing, it would not be possible for the game to be anything but a sellout. Admittedly, Subiaco and Footy Park don't have the same capacity as the MCG, but I think if another state can get two teams in it, they've earned it. Imagine what a Melbournian would feel like if he had to go to Perth to see Collingwood and Carlton play for the premiership.

On the other hand, you're right about the MCG being the "home of footy". That's why it's called the Melbourne Football Ground.

But that's irrelevant, of course. Because the MCC won't let it happen.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #40
Yea, Rugby is my thing. I just love rucking people (for those of you who don't know what rucking is, it consists of scraping people with spiked boots on their arms, legs, back etc when they are covering the ball, or close enough to look like they are).
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #41
Ash — Well, you are right. They would deserve it. I just don't think that Andrew Demetrio (sp?) would allow it. Anyway, speaking of Grand Finals, my leagues granny is on the weekend, I'll have to go and have look. My cousin is also playing in the u/15 netball Grand Final. I hope its good.

--------------------

Polaris
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #42
OK, time for some clarification. Who won? I think it was Melbourne, Sydney and Saint Kilda, was it not? I have not had time to check the results. Also, with the Roo's and Port playing today, who do you think will win? Personally, I am in favour of the Kangaroos.

--------------------

Polaris
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #43
Actually, Geelong beat Melbourne by, oh, about 50 or so points.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #44
Really? Damn, I hate Geelong. Robert Harvey's perfomance in his match was excellent.

Like I said, I am not sure on the results. I knew that the Sainters won, though.

--------------------

Polaris
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #45
Last night's game was a beauty for a low-scoring match, right up to the point where the Crows lost. Oh well. They have the big Roo to come back and it was very close, so I'm not too worried.

I hope that Port beats the Kangaroos, because then we'll have a Showdown Final - or maybe a Final Showdown? Either way, I was hoping for an all-Adelaide final, and it looks like I might get it. As long as the Kangas don't ruin it, that is.

Whoever wins that game, the Crows should take care of them without much trouble, which means they'll face West Coast (who beat Sydney in a tight one) in the Preliminary Final... and they beat the Weagles quite recently. So I think they're still definite premiership contenders.

[ Saturday, September 03, 2005 15:21: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #46
Well, Ports form has not been so good recently imho, and North Melbourne have been good, so I think that Port have a fight on their hands. I don't think that it will be an all-Adelaide grand final; Adelaide and West Eagles is my bet.

--------------------

Polaris
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #47
Mate, it's impossible for there to be an all-Adelaide Grand Final. An all Adelaide semi-final is on the cards, though.

EDIT: Change that to certain, after Port belts the Kangas by 87 points. Your tips are going badly. :P

[ Sunday, September 04, 2005 07:48: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #48
...and the Crows absolutely flog Port. God is nice and he likes me.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #49
kuc's tip: each way bet!
St Kilda to beat Adelaide, or
West Coast to beat St Kilda.

fairly confident about option a). The real grand final will be Adelaide v West Coast though.

I drank a lot of beer watching the showdown on saturday night, at my mates who comes from a big crows family. good times.

--------------------
You say, "hello"

Pages