Time for a change?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Time for a change?
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #0
It seems as people have some gripes about UBB and all, especially since it has eaten some accounts (well, maybe the fluffy turtles where responsible, but anyway) and caused a few wierd problems.

I really like the format, however, and how it displays itself, and I think it is for the most part visually appealing without all the flashy colors, detailed icons, and the option of avatars (though that one is quite debatable).

Even so, we have been stuck on UBB for almost 4 years now, and I was wondering if anyone would be for a change of forums. I know it would be a sacrifice of some things, most notably post counts, custom titles, etc. that you have accumulated here, but all the unwanted account would be weeded out, we could all become obvious oldbies because of our low member numbers, and the race to 1000 would be interesting. :) Even TM would be back.

However, I am also aware that many will have no desire to change forums and are more than content to just continue on here and not go to all the trouble.

Then comes the factor of Jeff agreeing to switch forums. We could just instantly migrate somewhere else, but that would leave all of our wondering newbies clueless. After all, everyone should hang out at the company forums, not some offshoot.

So here's a quick poll just to sum up what you think.

Poll Information
This poll contains 3 question(s). 37 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=sBorIyYAIfYl"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=sBorIyYAIfYl"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #1
I don't really care, but I answered the poll anyway. UBB right now is fine, even if it's a bit quirky.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
You can set the style and turn on or off avatars on many forums, most allow post counts to be set manually, and all would let custom titles be bestowed once again. I would miss the old threads more than the old forums, but this has a cohesive water droplet's chance in a vacuum of happening.

—Alorael, who has seen no signs of intentions of expending more time, energy, effort, or, God forbid, money on the forums from Spiderweb. That would be just a bit out of character.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #3
I don't really mind either way, but I'm closer to accepting what we have than wanting something new. I don't think it will happen anyway.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #4
I'm content with what we have, and I think the inconvenience would outweigh any benefits. Not, as everyone has pointed out, that it's really an issue.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #5
I don't really think its neccasary. Sure, UBB eats accounts when its hungry, and sure, there are a lot of no-posters, but so what? I can live with that.

Also, my favorite board type is Invision. It looks nice, and hsa some good features that UBB doesn't.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #6
Hmmm. I don't think it would be too bad as then my post count wouldn't seem so pathetic. But then I'd also need to get my post count back up again, and at the rate I post I probably wont get a very high post count.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #7
I like the way things are. Which is to say I don't like change. Would it make much difference if we switched? New users would register and never post, some accounts may "dissapear" (no sign of any turtles of late...), and avatars would still be disallowed due to loading times.

No, I say we keep the forums as they are.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
1. No and 2. Never. The crashes don't outweigh the nostalgia, and a new board just wouldn't feel the same. The quirks are part of the experience.

Okay, not sure on the "Never" part. But I am sure that if a new board is ever established, a lot of the oldbies won't come to grips with it and drift off to Desp and Polaris, never to return. But whatever happens, the community would be a radically different one.

3. I like Invision best (both Free and Power Board).
Ezboard works if you have nothing else except too much money to spend (or of course the same reason as above, ie. the community doesn't like change), but they recently crashed without backups and ergo suck.
phpBB is fine, but after all those security holes it will be some time before I believe it's safe now.
UBB is... interesting, but I get the feeling it gets unstable with a large community.
vBulletin can handle literally millions of members and posts; the first thing that gives is the server, not the forum (seen that happen a lot on Jolt forums). I don't like it much, but then I'm prejudiced against vast communities; I find them disorienting.

I'd note that the first board I ever saw was an ezboard, the second UBB (this one), the third Invision Power (Polaris) and the fourth vBulletin (NationStates), and the fourth was the only time I didn't find the differences to be an immense change for the better.

Invision Power might not be the best all in all, but InvisionFree is definitely the best free service available. (Yes, I'm aware they are different companies, but they use the same system).

[ Wednesday, August 17, 2005 02:11: Message edited by: Aranfoolcaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #9
Oof, forgive me for leaving out vBulletin. That thing definately has more features than UBB, but it also looks more cluttered.

But 7.5 million posts and 750,000 members. Wow, man. Wow.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Warrior
Member # 5523
Profile #10
We should switch to invision and be happy with avatars and sigs with pictures.

--------------------
“Medicine, Law, Business, Engineering - These are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But Poetry, Beauty, Romance, Love-These are what we alive stay for.”
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #11
Desp. uses punBB, I believe, and it seems to work rather well.

I suppose I would be fine with a board change, as it would be somewhat exciting and possible community-revitalizing at first, but it's extremely unlikely that a change will come anytime soon.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #12
I really like UBB. It's simpler, faster, and more stable than most of the other bulletin board types I've used (such as Ambrosia's terrible forums). I've also not really noticed any of these quirks with UBB that everyone keeps mentioning. The oddest thing I've had happen is the occasional duplicating of the same post when I try to post it just once.

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #13
UBB is by far the best software I've used but I haven't used very many. I don't really think there is a huge possibility that there might be a change for a new forum. And, BtW ben, on question 2 you forgot a 'hard to decide' option. :D

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #14
Well, if you don't seem to have any idea you want to express, that's why I included the No comment option. But it seems that if you're doubtful, you'll just choose Not much possibility or Never.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ