Every Living Thing To Get A Barcode

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Every Living Thing To Get A Barcode
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #0
This is an interesting idea. Every living thing will be a number.

http://www.goodnewsblog.com/2005/08/03/every-little-being-and-creature-living-on-earth-to-have-its-barcode

It is almost as scary as the nutty conspiracy idea that we will all be barcoded in the future for identification. (I don't believe this).

However, I do believe that all property will eventually assigned ownership through a bar code system. Your car, phone, etc will have a radio frequency tag identifying ownership.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #1
So, framing someone would just be a matter of putting a barcode of someone's number on illegal goods? :P

--------------------
Inconsistently backward.
SWOH. IM, PATF, ND.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #2
And you all that a cyber-punk world couldn't happen...

Fight the man!

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #3
If it's ever ordained that every human being has to have a barcode, I hope we get to choose it. I have my heart set on 42000 06200.

IMAGE(http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:fkDEbsI2kxsJ:gladstone.uoregon.edu/~gboswell/barcode/barcode.jpg)

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #4
Somehow I don't think this is a good idea. I mean what are we animals???? We are people not some number. Besides, isn't there something like this in the bible??? I'm pretty sure I read something about someone coming up with the idea of stamping people,which is kinda like a barcode would do.

Edit: Totaly agree with Jeros. We are human beings, not some meat product.

[ Thursday, August 04, 2005 19:07: Message edited by: Marlenny ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #5
Hmm...putting bar codes on people...is that really such a good idea? I thought that Social Security identified on who you were already, unless it's a stolen number.

Besides, putting bar codes on humans kind of makes us feel like a product...

"Price check on a Jeros, price check on a Jeros....oh wait, I scanned the wrong end of your chest...here we go! BEEP....$2.99!"

Yeah, I'm probably that cheap...lol.

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
Oh, relax, all of you. The article isn't very clear about what exactly is being done from a technical perspective, but it seems as if there's going to be one barcode for every species, not for every individual organism. It's basically just a new and convenient classification system for species.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #7
But wouldn't it be great? We could do that action movie thing and swipe the bad guy's face across the laser-scanner-thing and it'd come up "No Sale".

Unless Jones from dairy but a joke price on that guys barcode.

--------------------
The critics agree!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #8
It would be bad to actually have barcodes for everyone. Why, back in my day, we used to just have a good old name.

EDIT: I don't think that word is appropriate.

[ Thursday, August 04, 2005 22:15: Message edited by: Spring ]

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #9
This article doesn't say anything about RFid tags or recording movements of humans or goods.

The article talks about a species database (similar to current scientific publications, but in electronic format). They also talk about a fast way of checking whether you've found a new species by comparing a function of its DNA with the records for existing species. (They call this function "bar code", but they could just as easily cally it "fingerprint".)

Back to the question of stamping RFid tags on every person, I don't think this is going to happen any time soon. There will be far too many complaints about privacy for this to happen even if when the technology is ready, which it currently isn't.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #10
Thank you Thuryl and Zeviz, you are an oasis of calm as everyone else seems to think that the sky is falling.

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #11
What is more likely is that they will use biometric scanners for identification-- you go to the bank-- they scan your eye-- or you put your ring finger on a pad and they scan the first two sections of your finger to get access to your account. Almost foolproof for account security. I think at first this would be voluntary. Also there would be no need for attaching a barcode to you. Your number would be a reference to you not something tattooed on you.

I think it is a neat idea. But, it almost totally eliminates privacy-- having public scanners searching for biometrics (eye patterns), movement signatures would be frightening.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #12
If I gave a damn about idiotic concepts like privacy or secrecy, perhaps I would have a few doubts about this sort of thing.

No, it still strikes me as being thoroughly innocuous.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #13
Maybe all of these bar codes will start with the numbers 666...

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #14
I hope so. I, for one, love being associated with the devil. It makes me feel all warm inside, knowing that someone cares.

So henceforth, all my posts will end with the numerals 6, 6, and 6.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
Do you object to having a Social Security number? A number on your driver's license? We've been living with identifying numbers for years. Having them in a place where they wouldn't get lost would be a relief!

—Alorael, who just pities the poor bureaucrats who are forced to barcode each and every ant. It's enough to make you give up your sinecure and take up honest work, it is.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00