Say your prayers...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Say your prayers...
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #25
quote:
*this message sponsored by posideon and odin*
Norse mythology if I'm not mistaken. Odin was like THE Norse God who had that 8 legged creature thing, spear and all, and with Thor as his brother. I think they were supposed to be involved in some "world setting on fire" thing called Ragnarok or something like that and that Odin would be eaten by some wolf called Fenrir. It's just stuff I learned from a Final Fantasy game, as Odin and Fenrir are summons, so I could be wrong on the whole Norse history thing.

Was Posideon like that Sea God or something, with the three-pronged spear/trident thing? I think I heard of that name from Homer's Odyssey or some other movie/book...can't remember exactly where.

[ Wednesday, August 03, 2005 20:39: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #26
This is rather good.

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #27
Actually, Odin is the name of the boat. It is considered good manners to praise the boat when it brings you home safely. The current method of praise is saying "good boat, thank you." And then proceed to the gas dock and make your sacrificial offering of $2.94 per gallon and refill the lovely boat with her gorgeous 87 gallon stomach.

*this message really does support sacrificial offerings*
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #28
I only pray when I need|want a favour or when I'm feeling pessimistic about the future.

Religion in general, I change my beliefs as I go along to suit. Right now I believe this universe|planet|life on planet is likely to be eventually prematurely terminated for reasons I won't go into.*

*I'm talking about the reasons I think it'll be terminated, not the reason I believe that. I just feel like believing it since it makes sense based on the current state of things.

[ Thursday, August 04, 2005 06:11: Message edited by: Kakakaka ]

--------------------
Inconsistently backward.
SWOH. IM, PATF, ND.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #29
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

Actually, Odin is the name of the boat. It is considered good manners to praise the boat when it brings you home safely. The current method of praise is saying "good boat, thank you." And then proceed to the gas dock and make your sacrificial offering of $2.94 per gallon and refill the lovely boat with her gorgeous 87 gallon stomach.

*this message really does support sacrificial offerings*

Oh okay. It's just that the name Odin itself relates to Norse mythology as well. A good name for a boat too, since you're talking about a major Scandanavian God. As for stranger's little video clip, um... it's interesting. I never knew that Odin and Thor loved to eat sandwiches in the afterlife...

EDIT: Too many typos and then some...

[ Thursday, August 04, 2005 09:12: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #30
Well, it seems even strictly non-religious types have a sneaking suspicion that there's someone out there to recieve prayers.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #31
Ben, I'm sure there is someone out there that can explain to you the immense difference between spirituality and religion. It might be worth learning.

*this message supported by unorganized religion*
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

Ben, I'm sure there is someone out there that can explain to you the immense difference between spirituality and religion. It might be worth learning.

*this message supported by unorganized religion*

Maybe someone could, but they don't want to waste their time.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #33
Positive thoughts and statements are good for your mental health whether someone hears them or not.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #34
My family and I are Christians, and we pray before meals. It's always done aloud before dinner, but since we're usually not all together for breakfast and lunch, we each give thanks silently before eating.

Also, to us, praying before meals is called "saying grace", not "praying". Is this the same for anyone else here?

--------------------
Chance Forums

I was once member #2475, but then my account was deleted because of a bug.
Post count = 406 + whatever it says below.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by stranger:

quote:
I wonder if there was a world w/o religion...would there be more or less conformity between friends and family?
Wouldn't it be less because: a lot of religions are positive in respect to nurturing relationships, providing morals and offering marriage ceremonies (w/o religion there would be no concept of marriage). Religion is essential in the legal and social framework of (I daresay) most countries, without it there might be problems with morals and therefore social security, causing less conformity between friends and family.

In all communist countries (whose total population was a significant fraction of the world) religion was forbidden, but most people still got married and had strong families and strict morals. In fact, divorse rates in relatively religious America were much higher than in secular USSR. And moral rules in USSR were probably even stricter than in USA. Any society has to develop moral standards to survive, but those standards don't necessarily have to be based on a typical religion.

Back to the question of the thread, I say blessings before a meal only when the meal is part of a religious holiday and I am with religious friends. (I am not a very religious person myself, so my level of [Jewish] observance depends on the people I am living with: my family is completely secular, but some of my housemates in college were religious people.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #36
No. I'm not Christian.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #37
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

In all communist countries ... religion was forbidden, but most people still got married and had strong families and strict morals.
You seem to think that because religion was forbidden, it stopped. You also seem to think that marriage was not created by religious groups.

My arguement was that if religion had never occured, then marriage as we know it would not exist. Morals and etc would have taken longer to be established.

[ Friday, August 05, 2005 02:26: Message edited by: stranger ]

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by xxo:

Also, to us, praying before meals is called "saying grace", not "praying". Is this the same for anyone else here?
It's pretty much the same thing, and I've heard it both ways. Generally, "saying grace" is more of a formal term.

[ Friday, August 05, 2005 17:31: Message edited by: ben XIII ]

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #39
quote:

My arguement was that if religion had never occured, then marriage as we know it would not exist. Morals and etc would have taken longer to be established.
Not buying this argument. Most societies have some form of marriage, but not all of those societies connect marriage to religion, and often when such connections do exist it's clear that marriage and religion existed as separate institutions before being connected.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #40
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:

Not buying this argument. Most societies have some form of marriage, but not all of those societies connect marriage to religion, and often when such connections do exist it's clear that marriage and religion existed as separate institutions before being connected.

Furthermore, I fail to see how anyone can claim that marriage did not exist prior to religion. We've had religion for well over 8,000 years, even though it may not be "your" religion. Morals are a societal code that became necessary when people decided to live in groups larger than immediate family. Religion glommed onto then and assigned value in an effort to persuade more folks to be amenable to living in society. I'm thinking specifically about the Huns and the Germanic tribes, who violated the "peaceful" Mediterranean people at every opportunity.

But, I have to concede that the literal words 'as we know it today,' have a ring of truth to them. I don't know (as I don't care to research it) the mechanics of marriage back in, say 4000BC, but I agree that it probably is a little different. So, given that we don't know if it was better or worse, what is your point?

*this message hasn't a hope or a prayer of being heard*
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #41
I fail to see how anyone can claim that marriage did not exist prior to religion.
- Why not? I didn't really see your point of view from your post.

what is your point?
- My statement: "if religion had never occured, then marriage as we know it would not exist" was as answer to Jeros' question about "world w/o religion". So my statement was about my view about what things would have been like if there is and never was religion.

My view was that if religion had never occured in any form, then marriage as we know it would not exist. It is logical for us to develop life-long partners, and if religion had never occured I think that at the current level of development (mid 2005) there would still be something equivalent to marriage: a union between couple, giving additional rights (parenting, tax breaks etc). My view was that this wouldn't be marriage though, because it is not a union "under God", it is not "Holy matrimony". It is not a spiritual union of two people, it does not involve "what God has joined together"
(Mark 10:9) in the cerimony of marriage. It would be (in my view) a personal commitment between two people: an official recognition of their relationship, with personal benefits (a testimant to the love for the other in the couple), social benifits ("meet my wife, we love each other and got married") and economical benifits (reduced overall tax for married couples).

My view was that the equivalent of marriage would still exist, but it would be different. It would not be a spiritual union anymore, but people would still want to do it because of all the other benefits.

I've got a headache so I won't reread what I've written, so I'll come back tomorrow and see if I've made my view more clear.

--------------------

Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #42
stranger: You've made marriage religious by definition. So now you have to show why your definition is the one we should be using, otherwise you have no point.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #43
In fact, that definition is silly. Modern-day atheists get married. Their marriages are still marriages without any sort of religion.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #44
Kel, this is my opinion if religion had never occured, so it is irrelevant to any real-world situation. This view of mine has no meaning in real life. So please don't argue about this using what has happened on Earth, because my arguement is based on the assumption that Earth is at the same time as the present, but at no point in all of the Earth's history was there religion of any kind.

When modern day athiests get married, do they get married in a church, by a priest, using terminology and cerimonies in any way referring to God, and are these cerimonies in any way descended from religious marriage cerimonies?
I'm pretty sure a yes would often occur somewhere along there, but then again this does not concern my arguement, because my arguement is not based on real life.

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #45
I'll respond to that post by responding to the first one again.
quote:

My view was that this wouldn't be marriage though, because it is not a union "under God", it is not "Holy matrimony". It is not a spiritual union of two people, it does not involve "what God has joined together"
(Mark 10:9) in the cerimony of marriage. It would be (in my view) a personal commitment between two people: an official recognition of their relationship, with personal benefits (a testimant to the love for the other in the couple), social benifits ("meet my wife, we love each other and got married") and economical benifits (reduced overall tax for married couples).

My view was that the equivalent of marriage would still exist, but it would be different. It would not be a spiritual union anymore, but people would still want to do it because of all the other benefits.

You make it sound as though this would not be marriage, but modern-day atheists have these kind of marriages all the time. Some people get married at city hall by a justice of the peace or some other civil official. Some ceremonies don't mention "God" or have anything to do with religious ceremonies; they're just commitment ceremonies.

They're exactly what you're describing as "not marriage," except they clearly are marriages.

EDIT: In other words:
quote:

When modern day athiests get married, do they get married in a church, by a priest, using terminology and cerimonies in any way referring to God, and are these cerimonies in any way descended from religious marriage cerimonies?
No. Some do not.

[ Saturday, August 06, 2005 06:11: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #46
Most get married at town hall, unless there are family pressures.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #47
OK, you can get married by a justice of the peace at town hall, while everyone present knows you don't believe in God. I'm not denying that this results in marriage.

I don't want to say this again: I was offering my view in response to Jeros' musings on how things would be in a "world w/o religion".

Maybe my view has changed. My view is that if religion never had existed and remains to not exist in the present, that there may be marriage in the above-mentioned athiest way, but the way this cerimony (sp?) was created and evolved to it's present form would be different in this hypothetical world. I thought that marriage (the cerimony and resultant status) was created in a religious context, to validify a relationship. So, I thought that if religion never occurred (sp?), then it would taken longer in the course of history for marriage - not based on a religious context but created because it is more socially desireable for a couple to be legally recognised (with all of the other benefits) - as we know it to be recognised. The loss of the religion factor would have slowed down this process in the evolution of modern humans.

I look back, and this is a change in views (seems I was a bit ignorant, oh well ^o^).

I don't know if I've covered everything here. My aim in this post was to further clarify what I thought, if you still don't understand then it's clearly my fault.

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #48
quote:

I look back, and this is a change in views
I think this is unprecedented. I applaud you for your open-mindedness, and it serves as an example to all of us (including me) that we can all be more open-minded in the future. :)

--------------------

Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #49
Unprecedented? For someone here to admit making a mistake?

Well, that's not a shining compliment (or complement?) to the board's members. Maybe most people here want to be right, to the point that they don't ever back down.

--------------------

Pages