Just In Time For the Elections: Political Compass!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Just In Time For the Elections: Political Compass!
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #25
Well these are the questions I have the biggest issues with:

1.The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

What direction this is supposed to indicate is clearly beyond my imagination.

2."From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" is a fundamentally good idea.

Getting kind of uncreative, by simply putting in word for word a central tenant of communisim

3.The rich are too highly taxed.

This is questionable as it is partly based on where you live. Someone may think the rich are too highly taxed in your country, but in another countries tax system think they get off too light.

4.The prime function of schooling should be to equip the future generation to find jobs.

Which way this would indicate is dependant on what you think the alternative prime function should be (is it to instill obedience and moral/religious values, or is it to provide person enrichment and encourage creative thinking?)

5.The most important thing for children to learn is to accept discipline.

Again, this ones effect would be dependant on what the alternative most important thing is.

6.Mothers may have careers, but their first duty is to be homemakers.

If someone disagrees with the first part, rather than the second part it would skew the wrong way.

7.Astrology accurately explains many things.

Do they disagree with astrology because they reject any sort of spiritual or religous thing, or because it contradicts the teachings of thier particular religion (I've heard people say that astrology is un-christain).

8.It's fine for society to be open about sex, but these days it's going too far.

Again, what if they disagree with the first part, rather than the second part.

Overall, the most basic problem is that these labels are just convient things used as certain groups of beliefs tend to overlap, though it is seldom always the case. The only true indicator of a person political belief is the entire set of all distinct beliefs they hold.

[ Friday, June 24, 2005 21:45: Message edited by: Walter ]

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #26
I got
Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.51
Although I have no idea what that means.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
1.The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

What direction this is supposed to indicate is clearly beyond my imagination.
Essentially it's meant to indicate whether you believe politics should be driven by idealism or pragmatism.

quote:
2."From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" is a fundamentally good idea.

Getting kind of uncreative, by simply putting in word for word a central tenant of communisim
"Uncreative" and "uninformative" aren't the same thing. :P

quote:
3.The rich are too highly taxed.

This is questionable as it is partly based on where you live. Someone may think the rich are too highly taxed in your country, but in another countries tax system think they get off too light.
Yeah, this is a fair enough criticism. The test is British, so it assumes a political and economic system similar to the British one.

quote:
4.The prime function of schooling should be to equip the future generation to find jobs.

Which way this would indicate is dependant on what you think the alternative prime function should be (is it to instill obedience and moral/religious values, or is it to provide person enrichment and encourage creative thinking?)

5.The most important thing for children to learn is to accept discipline.

Again, this ones effect would be dependant on what the alternative most important thing is.
I think the first of these is an economic question and the second is a social one. #4 is admittedly pretty questionable -- holding the view that preparing people for employment through the education system is important doesn't necessarily imply a free-market ideology. #5 is fair enough, though -- there isn't really anything more overtly authoritarian than teaching children to accept discipline for the sake of discipline.

quote:
6.Mothers may have careers, but their first duty is to be homemakers.

If someone disagrees with the first part, rather than the second part it would skew the wrong way.
This is true. I suppose at this point the test makes the unfounded assumption that the person taking it is not a complete and utter loop for one side or the other. If they are, their answer to one question won't substantially affect the results anyway.

quote:
7.Astrology accurately explains many things.

Do they disagree with astrology because they reject any sort of spiritual or religous thing, or because it contradicts the teachings of thier particular religion (I've heard people say that astrology is un-christain).
Yeah, I'm... not sure about what they're thinking with this one either. Presumably they're relying on the correlation of a belief in astrology to certain sets of political views.

quote:
8.It's fine for society to be open about sex, but these days it's going too far.

Again, what if they disagree with the first part, rather than the second part.
Fair enough. See #6.

quote:
Overall, the most basic problem is that these labels are just convient things used as certain groups of beliefs tend to overlap, though it is seldom always the case. The only true indicator of a person political belief is the entire set of all distinct beliefs they hold.
One can also accurately summarise the views of some people by the systems of political and ethical thought on which they base the beliefs they hold. At least, this works for people who have systems of political and ethical thought to base their beliefs on. And such people usually have a fairly good understanding of their own views already and thus wouldn't particularly benefit from a test anyway.

[ Friday, June 24, 2005 23:50: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #28
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

[QUOTE]
#5 is fair enough, though -- there isn't really anything more overtly authoritarian than teaching children to accept discipline for the sake of discipline.

Though it's not libertarian either if the most important thing is to teach them your religious beliefs.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #29
Isn't it?

After all, teaching religious beliefs isn't the same as forcing them to be accepted. And surely it's only responsible to educate your children about ethics and the basis for them, which is religious for many people.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #30
Economic: -9.38
Social: -6.51

I'm several points more authoritarian since I last took it.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #31
economic left/right = 1,25

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian = -1,18

This is a rather moderate result, isn't it?
My parents also have this moderate attitude.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #32
So do most Americans.

Which doesn't explain voting for Bush, but nevertheless.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #33
No, no. Moderates are doing their country a favor by voting for Bush. ;) [/discussion]

[testresults]

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #34
Economic Left/Right: -4.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.05

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #35
Sweet mother of God!

The utter wrongness of that test cannot be expressed in words fit for these forums.

That said, I got -4.25,-2.62, placing me with Gahndi in their little pigeon holes.

*this message sponsored by the milk bureau, drink it because baby cows drink it*
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #36
quote:
Originally written by ben III:

No, no. Moderates are doing their country a favor by voting for Bush. ;)
Eeewww.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #37
The depressing thing is less than 8 months following the election, the very people that kept Bush in office no longer support him or his policies.

Well done people. Well done.

*this message sponsored by the 42% that still support bush despite the mounting evidence of his incompetence*
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #38
He got slightly more than 50% of turnout, not 50% of the population. That would surely have an impact.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality

Pages