Avernum V. Exile

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum V. Exile
Warrior
Member # 5550
Profile Homepage #0
Which is better, Avernum or Exile? Pick your choice, and then explain why.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 18 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=tUymTRMDbRwT"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=tUymTRMDbRwT"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Most Important Questions:
Why does one sock go missing?
What is the purpose of meaning?
What is the purpose of girls?
What happened to the other one?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Oh god, not again.

Avernum, because I played it first.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #2
Pokemon

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #3
Avernum has better skill system and is more polished. Exile had better graphics. (I prefer old-style graphics to a poor attempt at 3d.) Overall, I think Avernum is slightly better, but Jeff supposedly still receives plenty of registration requests for Exile.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #4
Your head on a platter.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
If I am elected moderator, repetitive topics like this will be swiftly locked and/or moved to the appropriate Game forum. (RWG in this case). Say hello to a pristine General, where all spam is unique, original, and not tired and boring repetition.

Vote Aran in 2005!
"Sanity: You owe it to the door."

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #6
I'll delete the entire damned eyesore. :P

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #7
As far as I'm aware, there's 800+ topics over which game is better. :P

That being said, I like Exile better. I discovered Exile first, and Exile seems to be more fun (for me) to play. And it's not a close call. I personally think Exile has better graphics, more engaging dialogue (I feel more immersed in the conversation), the atmosphere is better - I'm generally more immersed in the game in Exile.

For this reason, I wholeheartedly refuse to support BoA. I won't host any BoA-related material at my new site, and I will never design or beta-test a scenario for BoA.

At this point, I won't even bother downloading a BoA scenario lower than an 8.0 at the CSR.

Detailed description. There, happy? Now may this be the last Avernum vs. Exile (or should I say. . . Exile vs. Avernum) topic in the histrory of the universe. :P

On the other hand, I really encourage people to keep designing for BoE. And I will keep designing for BoE as well.

(I never gave a detailed description of why I like Exile over Avernum, believe it or not)

[ Tuesday, June 21, 2005 19:11: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
I suppose I should point out that I was the first to reply to this topic. Therefore I would've been able to lock it faster than any of these other would-be candidates, thus sparing us all the pain of dealing with this thread.

So vote Kelandon in '05!

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #9
A fast reaction is not necessarily an appropriate reaction. :P

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
Beheading is not, either. :P

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
Kelandon, that is pure chance. Notice that my reaction was a mere 28 minutes later, and this time varies. Being commonly cut off from the internet for less than five hours a day (plus sleep), I am ready to deal with any occurrences almost immediately.

Plus, any crap that gets posted by half-asleep Americans after midnight (which makes up most of the more senseless stuff) I will see in the morning, when I am awake, fresh and clear of mind, able to make a sound decision. Finally, what with the present majority of American moderation staff, another timezone would add significantly to the 24/7 readiness of the staff. ;)

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
Avernum has the often overlooked height effects that do add a little bit. And the aforementioned nifty skills, better dialogue, Lost Bahssikava, etc. etc.

—Alorael, who will remind everyone that a true moderator would never stray off topic. Ahem.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #13
I played Exile as a kid and didn't like it for many reasons which I can't be bothered typing. A few years ago I discovered Avernum 2 when a friend recommended it to me and I have been hooked on the Avernum series since.

So, in my opinion, Avernum is superior.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #14
Avernum. It might not utilise the technology, but it's about 5 years closer to a time when we'll be able to give massive electric shocks to idiots over the internet.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #15
Some of us already have that power, we just haven't gotten to you yet.

My first game was Exile 1 in demo, then Exile 2 in demo, then full Exile 3. That was good stuff. Avernum seems too soft by comparison, but I prefer BoA to BoE(demo). Go figure.

*this message sponsored by the curvy cookie*
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #16
Geneforge is better than the pair of them. Not by much, but still slightly better. I really wish I couldplay Exile but I just can't learn to use the interface. :(

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #17
Exile. I'm too lazy to register a game I've already beaten with supposedly prettier graphics.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #18
My feelings on this:

[Edit: You can visit the huge image on your own time.]

Vote for Thuryl! He's better than all of us, probably combined.

[ Wednesday, June 22, 2005 17:19: Message edited by: Lexitropism ]
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #19
Right idea, wrong size picture...

Thuryl sure isn't actively posting propoganda.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #20
When other people are doing my campaigning for me, I'm not sure I need to.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by ben III:

Right idea, wrong size picture...
The size of the picture was half the point, and would hopefully contribute to my now apparently hopeless effort to get this topic locked. :(
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #22
Technically, this thread is on-topic and in the right place. The fact that it's been done about 50 times before appears not to be grounds for locking. People seem unenthusiastic enough about it at this point that it'll probably die on its own soon enough, though.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #23
Well, I dunno... I mean, this is the second time Max brought up the topic.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
Perhaps he wants to plot a monthly trend? :P

--------------------

Pages