Avernum V. Exile

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum V. Exile
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #25
Personally, I would warn all of the spammers and attempt to get the thread back on track. General needs more game related topics.

As for the question, I prefer Exile to Avernum. I prefer the graphics, the spell system, skill system, combat system, and atmosphere. Exile feels like you're right down in there, and Avernum feels like you're watching from afar.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #26
Fair enough - my bad.

Avernum all the way.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #27
Dah, whatever Drakey.

I prefer Avernum primarily because of the less-confusing conversation system. Exile's the one that lets you kill up to 63 guys in one round, though. :D

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
Pretty sure it's possible to do even better than that with judicious use of Shockwave.

(Well, it isn't really, because none of the Exile games allows more than 60 monsters to exist in a town at once. I suppose if you were to use it against a bunch of Doomguards so that the ones that didn't die from each shockwave split off to create more ones to kill with the next casting, you might be able to kill off over 60 in a round. Then again, using Shockwave on Doomguards isn't exactly wise.)

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #29
Actually, Shockwave is a really effective method, since it does unblockable damage. If you can get mages who can cast it several times a round, that doomguard will be toast in a few rounds.

Then again, the Black Halberd does spawn fewer copies.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #30
Shockwave does fewer than 10 points of damage at close range -- it does 20-30 at 10 spaces away, but good luck keeping the majority of the doomguards at that distance. So yeah, lots of copies to deal with all at once. Not that they can actually hurt you if you're sufficiently blessed, but that's just another reason to beat them to death with weapons instead of wasting SP on damaging spells.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #31
When I was reading the posts, i noticed that many actually didn't deal with the question asked. may said thet found it a stupid and boring question.

I like avernum most. Exile and Avernum are almost identical (There are exceptions. Like the remote temple you have in exile 1 in the fort Duvno(?) area. it wasn't there in Avernum). That contributes to me choosing Avernum. its the same game, but Avernum is much nicer. (avernum I discoverd first, so it also has "a special place in my hart" (God, why did i say this. Its so slimy!). I hope that avernum 4 will be similair to the other avernum parts). So in general, give me avernum and I will be pleased.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #32
As I've stated on numerous other occasions, I prefer Avernum. Like Kelandon, I was first exposed to Avernum, and that's my major reason as well. I just generally have a problem navigating in the Exile interface, especially in combat. I dislike true 3-D games as well. The isometric interface is most in keeping with my gameplaying instincts, honed by years of playing Diablo, Starcraft, Fallout and the like.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #33
With enough instances of Major Summon, you'll run out of goblins before you can see how many you killed exactly that turn. :P

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #34
There should be a steady thread about Avernum vs. Exile. The idea haunts in almost all newbies' heads. As well as PC vs. Mac, Sliths vs. Nephils and so on.
:P Maybe we could have a special Board for a limited amount of ever-lasting topics. Only moderators could open a new topic but they would never lock them.

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #35
Some of this talk has reminded me of how cool the spells in Exile were. That said I still prefer Avernum as with anything, newer is better.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by Vote Arancaytar:

Plus, any crap that gets posted by half-asleep Americans after midnight (which makes up most of the more senseless stuff)
As an American I resent that remark. We are fully capable of posting crap well before midnight and wide awake.

As to Exile/Avernum. I admit that I found A1-2 easier to play than E1-2. However, I find E3 and BoE to be far better than any Avernum. I find the gross lack of spells (especially area of effect ones) to be unforgivable. Also, as has been said, Exile just has a more immersive feel to it.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.

Pages