General Moderator Election Poll

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: General Moderator Election Poll
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #0
I hate posting polls, but this really is necessary. I think it may contain useful information if people refrain from lying, which I always doubt in these polls.

—Alorael, who would also try to get a pre-election sense of who's likely to win if there weren't new candidates popping up all the time.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 52 user(s) have voted.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=ofkiYIjBWVWT"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=ofkiYIjBWVWT"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
This brings up an interesting point. I'd like to propose that candidates not vote for themselves. Since the number of candidates is a substantial percentage of the number of voters, candidates voting for themselves effectively reduces the number of actual voters to a rather small group. We'd get a more reasonable result if people didn't vote for themselves.

That said, if it looks as though a significant number of people will vote for themselves, I'll vote for myself, too.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #2
Yet another instance of the Prisoner's Dilemma. Say what you like, answer the poll how you like, everyone will vote for themselves anyway unless there's a rule against it. You're only deluding yourself if you think they won't.

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #3
Well, Kel, you do have a point. However, possibly we should leave the option open, cautioning all along that candidates should vote for themselves only if they feel they are the best choice for moderator. Obviously, some candidates, especially those who will be flattered to recieve only one vote feel that other people are more qualified for the position.

I think people here are honest enough to vote honestly, especially in a possibly-influential election.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #4
It doesn't make sence to ask people not to vote for themselves. If even the candidate himself doesn't believe that he deserves to win, why should anybody else waste their vote on him?

With that said, I expect people to start pulling out of the race as they realize that they have no chance unless they have a pre-arranged support base. (This election begins to sound more and more like a Mafia game. Maybe I should run one on these forums to let people take out their agression in more peaceful ways. :) )

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #5
I am intending on voting, however I consider it... a form of cheating, to vote for myself, whether I think I deserve to win or not. :P

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #6
Though I would prefer to vote for someone else to keep things balanced; I will have to vote for myself if everyone else does.

Ben - it's not cheating to vote for yourself, It is your vote.

[ Tuesday, June 21, 2005 15:30: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #7
I don't know, I kind of like Kel's idea. I'm assuming there will be some sort of primaries in order to narrow down the choices; if that is indeed the case, can't we forbid candidates to vote for themselves in the first round and remove the ban in the second? That seems most effective to me.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #8
Why remove it in the second? And why have a second?

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Eagle, the author soul:

Why remove it in the second? And why have a second?
A second round would be a good idea due to the number of candidates. The results would be more accurate with a smaller number.

--------------------
Nena
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #10
As a voter that is not a candidate, I have a valuable service to offer to prospective moderators. I am willing to entertain offers, as long as they are only for entertainment purposes only.

*this message has been pre-approved by various candidate support groups*
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin.:

Though I would prefer to vote for someone else to keep things balanced; I will have to vote for myself if everyone else does.

FBM - it's not cheating to vote for yourself, It is your vote.

FYT

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Mister Mooben:

quote:
Originally written by Dolphin.:

FBM - it's not cheating to vote for yourself, It is your vote.

I don't really know the standard context for "FYT," but I like the way it looks, so FYT.

FYT.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #13
And then there was much FYTing...

Ben had a point, though. Despite the temporarily similar monikers, I am hardly him, despite my consideration that he is a lovable street starfish.

I would prefer a rule that prevented voting for yourself to be in effect, for both rounds. Then again, whether people do start voting for themselves or not, I think I'm just going to stick to my principles.

I consider it a form of cheating, because I know my luck. In this case, however, it is open voting, which should actually mean that it would be clear to notice whether it'd even make a difference, to myself. Most likely though, I'll just vote for whoever I think would be the best moderator, that isn't myself. :)

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
Sometimes when someone says they fixed a typo, they mean it. In this case, Ben changed the "Ben" to "FBM", since it was, in fact, FBM who had called voting for yourself cheating.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #15
Whoops.

[ Tuesday, June 21, 2005 17:56: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
If the prospectives can't vote for themselves, they are best off either voting for someone they think has no chance at all or not voting at all. Neither one helps the democratic process. Therefore, I implore everyone to either vote reasonably or not vote at all. Or you could, you know, vote for me. That would be gnarly.

—Alorael, who now sees an equal number of candidates and non-candidate voters. Ah, if only American politics were like this. We could make Florida look reasonable!
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #17
Hmm... dictionaries... good idea. I got myself 12 dictionaries whereby 4 is for english. I do not dare visiting this forum without my dictionary...

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #18
Hmmm... unless I am mistaken the first round, every voter gets to apply one point, for every candidate, however they choose, but in the second round, there is only one vote, per voter?

Now, a sensible way of that would be in the first round, you are able to vote for yourself, with say, up to half of your voter points and in the second round, it does not really matter, either way, because there is many more non-candidate voters, than candidate voters, at that point. So you won't have everyone just voting for themself, regardless of who is the most qualified.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
Ew. I just re-read the post describing the rules. This is going to be a messy election.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #20
Thus far it can be called less messy than other elections some may recall.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
That may change.

*aside* Bring in the Diebolds!

"Why vote when a machine can do it for you?"

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #22
There's no option for me. I'm a candidate but not voting (as of now) >_>
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #23
Here's the thing. You can give all of your 39 votes to yourself, you can distribute them equally among all 39 candidates, but only three people actually go on to Round 2. You can influence who that is much better by distributing your Round 1 vote well than by just throwing everything to yourself.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

There's no option for me. I'm a candidate but not voting (as of now) >_>
Option 2: "a candidate, and you intend to vote for someone else or not at all."

—Alorael, who thinks he needs to read this procedural post himself. He missed it somehow.

Pages