Elections: The Candidacy Thread

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Elections: The Candidacy Thread
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #50
Damn, that was a great speech. I find your policies abhorrent and immoral, but I just can't resist a leader with charisma. Zeviz, you have my vote!

[ Monday, June 20, 2005 21:08: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #51
Well done, Zeviz. My support is behind EVOL!

Right after voting for myself, of course. :P

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #52
I have not announced candidacy in this election, nor do I have plans to vote in it.

Imban 4444, on the other hand...
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #53
I will vote for unpopular candidates in the first round, hoping to face weak opponents in the finals.

As an extra strategy, since so many voters are running themselves, I should try to make myself unpopular so others with the same strategy will vote me into the final round... :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #54
A canning may help your cause, although it is not reccomended. Nor will you take it.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #55
No, too permanent. After all, when the primaries are over I do want to look like a strong candidate again, or I would defeat my cause, no? :D

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #56
I'd like to run. With such stiff and, uh, widespread competition my candidacy may be redundant, but... what the hell, Ahnold, you know...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #57
Good to see some others of the Polaris crew. Besides ADoS, it looked like I was the only Polaran running, huh? :)

--------------------
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #58
I announce my candidacy.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #59
The problem with the empire is that they have never funded yogic flying, yet this IS THE KEY to achieving world peace and universal health.

As no candidate has spoken out in favor of this grand notion of ADVANCED civilization, I reluctantly throw my hat into the ring.

Once I am elected, training in the essentials of yogic flying shall begin immediately, with the future goal of erasing the need for democracy (or any form of governance).

"When you vote fat you vote for substance."
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #60
Here we go. I (and a lot of other people probably too) would like a summary of what policies the candidates are going to stand for and [hopefully] implement if they are voted moderator. Therefore, we can all make a more informed decision. It doesn't necessarily have to resemble Zeviz's, but that's the right idea. Whaddaya say?

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #61
I am glad to see that some of you are beginning to see the justice of our cause. Do not be fooled by false promises of the authorities, or other candidates. EVOL is the only party willing to do what it takes to keep us safe from terrorists and free from oppression of the corporate marionettes that control our government.

The vile substance called scribbane is one of the main causes of our problems. Special interests are getting our moderators addicted and then using scribbane as a leverage over them, advancing the hidden agenda of their shadow government. We suggest combating the root of the problem, by sending all scribbane users into forced “treatment programs”. After completion of these programs, these former addicts will emerge as exemplary members of society and loyal EVOL followers. This procedure can later be applied to all other criminal elements, helping protect our freedom and democracy from all external and internal threats.

So join EVOL – the only party with working answers.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #62
I merely stand for being an active and fair moderator. Being over-zealous does not bear well and I shall merely do what is needed to be done. Can anyone promise anything more, without resorting to the levels of bribery?

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #63
I'll stand, for the heck of it.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #64
I've lost track of people... is that FBM?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #65
Yes it is. Part of the wave of MMs.

skribbane != bad

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #66
Well, I could make a long list of campaign promises that we may or may not have the authority to enforce, but my posts speak for themselves.

I refer you to the GF3 forum for my assistance to those who need help finding information, or are unable to solve problems. I am patient with newbie questions, and answer them kindly and with understanding.

I am here very often, and though my post count is high my posts are consistently devoid of spam. Count on Dolphin to be fair and dedicated.

I know how to spell Skribbane.

[ Tuesday, June 21, 2005 16:32: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #67
Morning SD, how are you, on this fine day? Being the obliging chap I am and to avoid any confusion in this event, I'll change my name to something recognisable, for now.

Personally I dislike the term "newbie" and "newb". They've turned into something approaching insults, these days. I move that they are renamed "new members" or the "registration date challenged". :P

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #68
Newbie is endearing, nOOb is insulting.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #69
For reference, these are the declared candidates so far. I'm not sure if Arctic was nominating himself or just being Arctic, so there's a question mark by his name.

Alec
Thuryl
ADoS
Dolphin
MM
Imban 4444
Wise Man
Cairo Jim
Sarachim
Stug
FBM
Kel
TM
JadeWolf
Sushi
Aran
Micael
stranger
BtI
Arctic?
Riibu
Spring
AM
Nicothodes
Zeviz
Sir David
Archmage Alex
fatman
Ash

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #70
I would be a moderator similar to Saunders in that you might not see me, but I would be there whenever there is trouble.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #71
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

I would be a moderator similar to Saunders in that you might not see me, but I would be there whenever there is trouble.
I know Saunders, I like Saunders, and you are no Saunders. :P

--------------------
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #72
I see Zeviz has begun to start campaigning. He makes a lot of promises, but some of us have questions. Questions he doesn't answer. Questions he hopes you won't ask!!

For example: if Zeviz is really a man of action and not all talk, why is he running in an election instead of staging a bloody coup??

Why is EVOL spelled backwards LOVE, the very emotion that renders you pathetic humans so vulnerable?

How can we really be free when Zeviz would take away the freedoms we cherish most, like the freedom to be corrupt, power-hungry manaiacs? Or the freedom to beat people to death with lead pipes?

Beneath Zeviz's flowery speeches lurks a hidden agenda. Only one political party has the stones to stand up to EVOL, and that party is Scorched Earth!

Zeviz and the EVOL party machinery promise more than they can deliver! But I, Sarachim, promise you a blasted, nightmarish hellscape, devoid of all save the cries of the wounded and the stink of dead spammers. You can't promise less than that!

Zeviz promises that flamers will be dealt with using a minimum of violence. I, on the other hand, recognizes for this (and all other) problems, half measures will do nothing. The Scorched Earth Party gives you its word: under our modship, even the smallest disturbance will be met with a maximum of violence!

And finally, Zeviz promises to end the corruption of power. I, on the other hand, promise to have fun.

The choice is clear. Vote Scorched Earth for General in 2005.

[ Tuesday, June 21, 2005 19:45: Message edited by: Sarachim ]
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #73
Hello, ladies and gents. I suppose this is where I tell you about my policies.

I'm a strong proponent of transparent, limited moderation. I don't have a sweeping plan, because I know the population of these boards do not want a sweeping plan. Sweeping plans mean your favorite topics locked because they have too much noise and not enough signal, or posts deleted entirely because they contain profanity, or valuable if eclectic members being pecked into contempt and obscurity.

I don't want to stifle the discourse. I don't want to shut down the flow of information. I understand there are circumstances in which censorship are appropriate, and I understand them to be strongly limited. I promise I will take swift and decisive action against excrecable violations, and leave other topics well enough alone unless they become flagrant spam-fests.

I will make a fair and impartial moderator; I have an outstanding history of judging individuals more by their immediate conduct than any kind of 'permanent record' heuristics. I don't hold grudges. I don't single people out.

I'm tolerant. I have a policy and it's a good one. I will make the moderation process clear, and in all cases I will work towards improving threads rather than destroying them.

I have a record of action. I have been a moderator before; I know the drill; I administrate a set of forums which have managed to keep orderly despite all manner of filth and depravity for three years now, and which continue to serve as a community asset today.

As an experienced community member, man of power, and referee, I offer an excellent background for a moderator, one matched by extremely few of my fellow candidates. A mixture between my administrative policy and my vigilance will ensure that both your right to expression and your virgin eyes will be protected simultaneously. And I am an amiable if sometimes abrasive figure.

I offer a powerful mixture of positive qualifications, characteristics, and doctrines no other candidate can match. Vote for me and together we will keep the SW forums fun, friendly, and open.

To my fellow candidates: If you share my view on the nature of moderation, if you believe that the job of power should be to enrich and support the discourse rather than picking at it with a fine-toothed comb and a rubric, if you believe that the first priority of the moderation should be to enable members to get along together rather than meting out punishments for butting heads, and most of all if you want to see a transparent, fair, and forgiving moderator in power, I encourage your support. I'm no joke candidate, and I'm no power-monger. My campaign speaks to a serious ideal which has been neglected on these forums of late. Divided, we will be at the mercy of the same-old same-old; united, we can bring the forums to a new flowering and greatness.

[ Tuesday, June 21, 2005 20:16: Message edited by: CSTR. ]

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #74
*Applauds Alec*

This was so masterfully executed that I can only bow to your talent. My would-be dystopian dictator pales in comparison to the real thing. This is how real men get elected supreme rulers:

1. Declare an election out of the blue, when nobody else expects it.

2. Set the rules to encourage maximum amount of chaos and squabbling:
Self-nomination
+ no prerequisites for running or voting
+ challenging everybody to run with an opening asking "do you dare to run?"
= complete chaos

3. Leave and let everybody squabble and plot while the place deteriorates into chaos.

4. Show up several days later with a great speach that makes everybody else look like a bunch of immature kids.

This is how they do it in books and movies, but this is the first time I've actually seen something like this pulled off in real life with such a perfect execution.

My hat is off to you. I will stop my masquerade, because I'll never be able to compete with the true master.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.

Pages