Insults

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Insults
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #0
I've been hearing a lot of insults lately when I go out, and I keep a few in reserve in case I ever need them. I just wanted to know what insults other people used. So yeah. Here are some of the ones I keep in reserve.

Your loud talking does not hide your lack of intelligence.

Everything you know could be saved on a microscopic postage stamp and still have room left over for a shopping list.

Everyone knows that learning music improves one's math skills. Unfortunately, you're tone deaf.

You have just helped me prove that there is no limit to human stupidity.

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #1
How about instead of keeping insults "in reserve," you be a bigger person and don't insult someone? I know that I definitely have trouble doing this when someone raises my ire, but I think that taking the high road would go a long way toward making society better.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
Insults are a way to nurse one's wounded ego after having come out the worst in a battle of wits. Draw conclusions.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #3
There was a good one for your list.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

There was a good one for your list.
Heh. I was happy to oblige. :)

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #5
Most insults I hear are like following:

"You're gay!"

"Do you have DAMP or what?!"

"**** you, *******!"

"*****!"

"You walk like a homo!"

And other not really clever stuff...
Just proves that teen-agers are as clever as lizards... or at least the loud ones. :P

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #6
By definition, this is so far off topic as to be spam. But, this was running through my head last night as being more than slightly incongruous and maybe even ironic. So bear with me, and yes it does have a little to do with insults.

Most people are heterosexual, from the Greek root heteros, meaning other than usual, meaing that they prefer sexual relations with a different body type than there own. Homosexual means preference of sexual relations with ones own sex, based on the Greek root homos.

So far so good, now we understand the root words hetero and homos. Now for the part brought to mind by Eagle's post. Homophobic literally means one of two things. Fear of man, or fear of the same. It is not in my Webster's 3rd edition, but the real meaning seems clear.
The fellow showing homophobic tendancies is most likely afraid that he himself is portraying those very traits of which he is accusing you.
Like mentioned above, insults are easily hurled by those with tiny brains.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
Fear of the Same... that sounds deeply philosophical. Would those people be afraid to look in a mirror? :P

--------------------
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #8
While technically "homophobia" means "fear of the same," I think we all pretty well understand that, as it is currently used, the "homo" part of the word implies homosexuality or homosexuals.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
The "phobia" part also isn't used the same as other phobias. "Homophobia" is understood to mean hatred of homosexuals and homosexuality, not specifically fear of them. You'd certainly be surprised if an admitted homophobe reacted to gays the way an arachnophobe reacts to spiders.

—Alorael, who concludes that homophobia has little to do with either the prefix homo- or the suffix -phobia and that English is good at warping other languages.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
The "phobia" part in general means "fear or hatred." Xenophobia is more often hatred of foreigners than fear of them.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #11
By the same sort of logic, since the Greek word heteros can mean different, heterosexuals prefer something different from what is normal. Don't be moronic (from the Greek word moros, meaning stupid or foolish.)

AM, I'd have to disagree with you that using insults is a sign of failure. It's a sign of wanting to be insulting. Which, whilst you might designate it a character flaw, is tremendous fun. Nicothodes' problem is not so much that he feels the need to fall back on insults as that his own creations are so poor my gall bladder exploded and he's requesting us to submit others for him to borrow.

There is simply no point stealing insults! It is highly unlikely to be insulting because it will not be specific enough and the fun in insults is in creating them.

By all means, have certain ideas you might incorporate into an insult. A pair of words that juxtapose nicely. A suitably vile piece of scatology. Some personal foible. But insults ought to be specific, they ought to be flashes of inspiration and they ought to be a private thing between you and anybody within earshot.

If you can't create a good insult (and I sincerely hope you're keeping your best ones to yourself, Nico) then I'm afraid you'll just have to be pleasant.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Warrior
Member # 5822
Profile #12
i am the yo mamma joke master at my school so here are some of my top dogs
1 yo mama is so fat that when god said let there be light he said move
2yo mama is so hairy that when you where born you got rug burn
and many others
none yo mama insults
1 this is an example of darwinism at work
2 you suck
3 "your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberrys
p.s. monty python rocks

--------------------
who knows what darkness lurks in the hearts of men? the shadow knows
ninjas are so better than pirates
homerun
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by shadow, the:

1 this is an example of darwinism at work

Warrior
Member # 5822
Profile #14
are you saying that is applying or just aplauding its goodness?

--------------------
who knows what darkness lurks in the hearts of men? the shadow knows
ninjas are so better than pirates
homerun
Apprentice
Member # 4812
Profile #15
simply love a good flame war... My favorites would be

If i throw a stick, will you go away?

You're ugly, i'm busy. Have a nice day.

You're as welcome as a fart in an elevator

Your clue meter is reading zero; let's see if this registers: Get lost!

I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant. Go away!

Another epileptic seizure on the keyboard!

I can always tell when you're lying - your lips are moving.

As an outsider, what do you think of the human race?

Brains aren't everything. In fact, in your case they're nothing

Hi! I'm a human being! What are you?

--------------------
death is natural... i'm not..
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #16
Truly a man of few words. I'll bet you don't know what either of them means.

Do you eat a lot of paint chips?

Your kid may be an honor student, but you're still an idiot.

You make me doubt the validity of natural selection.

Did you get a bowl of soup with that hat?

Or simply: Republican!

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #17
I see insulting others (especially if it's vulgar) to be a sign of immaturity as much as it is a lack of intelligence. I can think of a few people who resort to insulting others when frustrated, and they are very intelligent and somewhat childish.

I think the kind of people who insult those they know nothing about, or do so just for the sake of doing it are unintelligent people. On the other hand, there are very stupid people who are very kind.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #18
Stand up for yourself though. Don't let people roll on you.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
Only mouth-breathers who can't move both feet at the same time, let alone manage chewing gum, bother to defend themselves against richly deserved personal criticism by launching inane retorts.

—Alorael, who hopes his brain melts before he sinks to your level (though that may be admittedly seen as a prerequisite rather than an independent condition). Philistines.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #20
Perhaps, but a simple **** off goes a long way. From my observations those that turn away from every conflict end up with little respect and few friends. There is no point in responding to every insult but there are times when not doing so makes you look worse for it.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #21
Throwing insults is immature and barbaric. Beat them up instead.

Seriously, I found the words "You wish." very servicable for dealing with the various accusations of sexual deviance that get thrown around in the schoolyard so much.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

Perhaps, but a simple **** off goes a long way. From my observations those that turn away from every conflict end up with little respect and few friends. There is no point in responding to every insult but there are times when not doing so makes you look worse for it.
I have found that I have more respect for being able to talk my way out of a fight, or argue without useless insults. For that matter how relevant is public image that one needs behave like the person doing the insulting?

Also, there is something to be said about the capacity to let something go.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #23
At my school !#&% off is used a lot and often results in a a fight. If I get insulted, it is only from one person so I just ignore it completely, as they will eventually get sick of doing it. But if they persist, I simply say 'no-one wants you here, go away.'. It mostly works.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #24
I don't insult people. Unless the insult is true. :P

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ

Pages