Summer jobs anyone?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Summer jobs anyone?
Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #25
I'll gladly take a job this summer, provided that it's permanent, and that the reason I'm working this summer is 'cause I'll be working at the job next summer.

--------------------
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate. And I AM the clone
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #26
quote:
Originally written by Andrew Miller:

Save your money and don't take anthro, unless it's very archaeology-oriented. Otherwise, it may as well be called subjective-ology, because there's no way culture can truly be objectively analyzed.

Attempting to understand other cultures is not without merit; pretending that the process is a science is.

Archaeology-oriented is a pretty good way to describe it. The earlier classes are primarily focused on human evolution, and differentiating humans from other primates. They will discuss the development on early civilizations with an emphasis on tool making, of hunter-gatherer skills, and development of agriculture.

I'm only going to take the first couple courses, as the others don't sound appealing to me.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #27
I will be very curious to hear exactly what you do in Astronomy, Dolphin. That's probably the way I'll be going.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #28
Ben - Here is a course description, but I might wait until fall as both classes will make it almost full time summer school (8 units).

quote:
This course surveys the history of astronomy, the observed properties of stars, stellar evolution, galactic and extragalactic astronomy, relativity and cosmology. The aim is to develop an appreciation of the physical universe and the scientific methods we use to understand it.

[ Friday, June 03, 2005 18:41: Message edited by: Dolphin ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #29
Its winter here. But I still have a job, as a garden waterer for and elderly lady around the corner. I have never met the lady, ass I only water the garden when she and her husband are away. But her husband works with my dad, so I get the money through dear old dad.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #30
Oh bad deal. Dad can cut your money off. I'm working on a Dairy farm for the summer. Four of my Uncles own it. Its not a fake hobby farm with 20 cows either. More like 1,500 animals. 10.00$ per hour 14 hour per day 7 days a week. July+August.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #31
I don't realy care if he takes some of the profit; its not like I get much anyway. $5 every time I water the gardens is better than no money.

--------------------

Polaris
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #32
V - Good Luck. I regularly visit dairies, and am so grateful that I can leave after only a few hours. Here they are most CAFO (confined animal feeding operation) but no hormone injections. What's it like up in BC?
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #33
Really a mix half and half. There are confined barns for shelter obviously it's Vancouver Island after all. Rain ahhh! Any way yeah there's open area paddock type area with barns interconnected. My Uncles farm is fairly old on the building end so there's no modern tight holding areas like a lot of farms. It's funny really they are the only Canadian born farmers in that area. Every other Dairy is run by Dutch immigrants. They are big on modern buildings while using old equipment. My uncles are big on new shinny 400,000$ equipment while having older buildings. The farm is actually close to 100 years old.
Do you work for a milk pickup company or a vet?

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #34
I live across the road from our cities vet. It is handy, as we can just pop over if our dog is sick. Also, when our dear dog was hit by a car, we just ran over with the dog in my arms and possibly saved its life.

--------------------

Polaris
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #35
I'm a guy that gets called when there is a question about gov't assistance in upgrading various aspects of all sorts of things, including some of the stuff that may or may not happen in a dairy farm. My favorite to date is the feces transport system. It used a gravity assisted corkscrew device to move the dung, squeeze out the liquid (which went into a tank for spray back onto the fields), and then the remaining material was blown into a 3 walled building with roof.
After we finished this project (farmer only paid half the materials cost), he smiled at us and said he could now start up a business selling the dried manure. Not caring, we agreed, and he has been successful in the new venture.

Also the cows are a lot healthier not standing in their own filth while in the barn.

The specificity in the first sentence is real. I really am "that guy you call." It says so on my business card. :D
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin:

Ben - Here is a course description, but I might wait until fall as both classes will make it almost full time summer school (8 units).

quote:
This course surveys the history of astronomy, the observed properties of stars, stellar evolution, galactic and extragalactic astronomy, relativity and cosmology. The aim is to develop an appreciation of the physical universe and the scientific methods we use to understand it.

Sounds like fun, though they should have added a comma after "relativity". You'd think things like that for college would have good grammar. :P

I like relativity, though. It's pretty interesting how if you're moving through spacetime, you're not moving through time as fast.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by 4.808 x 10^3:

Sounds like fun, though they should have added a comma after "relativity". You'd think things like that for college would have good grammar. :P
Umm, you don't need a comma before the "and" in a list.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #38
Sure you do.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #39
The Harvard comma is good style, but the examples in that link are pretty poor examples of why it's so. I'm surprised they didn't use the classic example, which, while humorous, makes the point as well as any: "I'd like to thank my parents, Ayn Rand and God".

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #40
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

Oh bad deal. Dad can cut your money off. I'm working on a Dairy farm for the summer. Four of my Uncles own it. Its not a fake hobby farm with 20 cows either. More like 1,500 animals. 10.00$ per hour 14 hour per day 7 days a week. July+August.
My sincere sympathies. Dairy farming made me realize that hell would not actually be hot. It would be cold, wet, and filled with bovine excrement.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #41
Also, hell wouldn't be ruled by satan, it would be ruled by cows.

I went to a farm when I was 10, and I was nearly kicked in the nether regions by a mad sheep. That is why I never want to go on a farm ever again.

--------------------

Polaris
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #42
Yeah I know it can get that way especially in wet areas. I hate rain I'll take a dry area any day. But you do get used to stuff or I did at least. Ranches look so easy in comparison to Dairies. No buildings to clean don't have to feed the animals all summer etc.

--------------------
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #43
quote:
Originally written by SprungSpring:

Also, hell wouldn't be ruled by satan, it would be ruled by cows.

I went to a farm when I was 10, and I was nearly kicked in the nether regions by a mad sheep. That is why I never want to go on a farm ever again.

Sheep are the wimpiest animals on the face of this earth. Annoying as heck, yeah, but not scary.

VCH: Every place has it's own drawbacks. But yeah, dairy work is one of the worst (in my opinion).

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #44
quote:
Originally written by SprungSpring:

hell ... would be ruled by cows.

Fear the cows!
IMAGE(http://getrdonesites.com/art2/Avatars/Far_Side_-_Cow_thumb.jpg) IMAGE(http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:HanD866CQD4J:http://www.metahusky.net/~heather/loncows/003black2.jpg)
Edit: What's the rule about writing Edit and explaining your reasons of editing? Is it only when you want people to notice there's a change, all the time, whenever you feel like adding it, or what?

[ Sunday, June 05, 2005 16:28: Message edited by: EviL_TiM ]

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #45
There is no rule. You do it voluntarily based on whether or not you think other people should know to edited. I rarely do it anymore; I think it kind of takes away what you were going to say. But sometimes it's good like say:

EDIT: Yay, 1328 posts! Important number, y'know.

That really wasn't an edit, though.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ

Pages