Who are you? and What's your IQ?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Who are you? and What's your IQ?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #100
I agree with you Andrew. But post-grad work like law school isn't college. It may be what college used to be like 100 years ago, but that isn't what it is now. I personnally have a very specialized degree in Forestry. I spent some money to get it, but the real world looked at that piece of paper and said "huh, and what experience do you have?" If I had been instead able to say "I don't have any degree, but I've helped to manage a tree farm since I was allowed on the back of a skidder." I might have made the grade. Alternatively, I could have ignored sunk costs and spent even more money to get a Masters degree. I would have seen a pretty good ROI on that decision, but I couldn't get beyond the sunk cost issue.

So yeah, folks that go that extra distance usually do come out with more money, and if that is the ultimate goal, then all the power to you.
:)
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #101
quote:
Originally written by I Sprung the Spring:

I can't of gotten stupider.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #102
Wowsers, this topic has really taken off. :eek:

We now come to the question: what is/is going to be your degree? Astronomy, physics, and/or programming for me.

I like all those slashes/divide by signs. :P / :D

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #103
Hopefully, my degree will be in programming. But graduation for me is three years away, so it might change. I don't think it will, but it might.

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
I eat blueberries in pie square.
Xerch'de/Rate.
I miss you, but I haven't met you yet.
So special, but it hasn't happened yet.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #104
I'm going for a Management degree. I'm leaning towards Hotel Management, but I haven't decided.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #105
Mine will be in medicine, but I have not yet decided on an exact path.

[ Wednesday, June 01, 2005 16:09: Message edited by: Dolphin ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #106
I mean to graduate college with Integrative Biology degree and then pursue a masters in zoology or something along that line, to the end of becoming a zookeeper. Of course, failing out of school has kind of thrown a wrench into the plan, but I feel that a year of full-time work might imbue me with the needed increase in responsibility to finish my final year of college.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #107
Classical Languages (Greek and Latin), with a minor in Physics, intending to apply to law school. The minor in Physics is getting a little less likely, though: I've had three terrible physics classes in a row, and unless the next one is any good, I'm not going to continue.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #108
What were these three terrible physics courses, and what was terrible about them? I'd like to know because I may be teaching similar courses in the future.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #109
It was the full run of lower div physics: mechanics, E &M, bits of thermo and optics, and basic relativity and quantum, basically duplicating AP Physics.

What made them terrible was that the teachers never adhered to the basic physics method, which is to explain the concepts, give the general equation, and then show how the general equation can be used to solve problems. We were not at any point taught how to solve problems, and only one of our books actually had any instructions about doing so. One teacher loved going off on tangential discussions. Another loved derivations. A third... well... he never made any sense at all, so it didn't really matter.

Their reviews for mid-terms and finals tended to be inadequate; all I really wanted was a sheet of equations, not to do the derivations over again. The important derivations should be done in class once and, if they are not in the book, handed out in paper form or posted online.

The books were on the whole atrocious. Purcell's E & M book is annoying in the extreme since it has no worked examples. None. Zero. Tipler's Modern Physics book is slightly better, but it still suffers from a dearth of examples, and I thought it had rather inadequate chapter summaries, a problem exacerbated by the poor organization of the chapters — I could never find the equation that I was looking for. I spent twenty minutes paging through it knowing that I was looking for the relativistic Law of Addition of Velocities. K & K's mechanics book (the MIT one) is similarly annoying. The only book I could stand was the Giancoli one — that one I actually liked a lot.

Lab never had anything to do with what we were studying, and generally it consisted of: "Connect black box A to black box B and read off the numbers. Then plug them into equation C, which you have never seen before, and see how close the number you get out matches up with fundamental constant D, which you don't know anything about."

But I guess what really killed it was that we never learned how to solve problems at all but then were asked to do so on tests.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #110
I used to have a physics teacher that would write down half of the equation and go: "you'll finish it up later", or "You could take it from me". God it annoyed the hell out of me. Teachers are supposed to teach, I mean they get paid to do so, yet they feel as if it wasn't necessary.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #111
I'm probably going to get a degree in Biology or General sciences. Then maybe get my teaching degree. Then teach in Nunavut. Either that or I'll try dentistry out, that is if I can get in. The DAT might be a pain. UBC only accepts 40 dentistry students a year too so who knows. If I do get into a dental program the Canadian forces will be paying my bills thank you.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #112
What would it be like to be taught how to solve physics problems? Just going through some examples?

How many examples would do the trick? Would it have to be one worked-through example of every conceivable type of question that could be on an exam? If so, wouldn't that defeat much of the purpose of the problems? If not, just what is it that going through examples is supposed to do?

Didn't you have a lot of homework problems, to practice solving problems before getting to exams?

I'm not being defensive -- I really want to know what you mean when you complain about not being taught how to solve problems. Somehow I never had this complaint myself, and I don't remember going through a lot worked examples. But I don't know whether this was because my first few physics courses were really good and I just didn't realize what was good about them, or because the style of thinking needed for physics problems came naturally to me, or what.

[ Wednesday, June 01, 2005 18:56: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #113
I was gunning for Software Engineering, but according to U of T, I'm not 1337 enough, so now I'm double majoring in Computer Science and Math.

Oh, and I personally do not recommend a math major, unless you feel a direct relationship between happiness and integration. Or something similar. Or you're that good at math.

[ Wednesday, June 01, 2005 19:01: Message edited by: Wise Trampling Frenzy ]

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #114
One must be shown how to drive a car not simply told how the motor functions. Physics=same.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #115
quote:
Wise Trampling Frenzy wrote:
Oh, and I personally do not recommend a math major, unless you feel a direct relationship between happiness and integration.
Mathematicians scare me. Even though i was always good at it in school. There is no happiness in integration. Just... no.

--------------------
A Sucaran Child is standing here.
You say, "hello"
The small child looks at Preserver Aldous wide-eyed and awed.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #116
Sometimes I like math. When I keep working with it and understand it, math isn't so bad.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #117
SoT, you don't have to explain every conceivable problem ever, but you should at least explain one conceivable problem with each major equation. Deriving Schrodinger's Equation is great, but having seen the derivation sort of doesn't help when you're trying to solve for the wave equation of a particle in a finite square well if you haven't seen any application of it ever.

Yes, there were homework problems, but I did not once solve a homework problem independently during the entirety of my first two physics courses at Cal. I simply did not ever have the right equations or the right tools.

Bear in mind that I got A's in these classes. Something was direly wrong.

[ Wednesday, June 01, 2005 20:45: Message edited by: Thurylandon ]

--------------------

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #118
Hmmm, that does sound bad.

Hey, I wish I knew how to derive Schroedinger's Equation, though! As far as I know, it's an axiom :) .

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #119
*digs through his notes* The derivation has to do with... the E=hf equation that comes from the photoelectric effect, the de Broglie equation p=h/lambda, and... uh... nope, I can't understand my notes anymore. But there was a derivation.

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #120
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Hmmm, that does sound bad.

Hey, I wish I knew how to derive Schroedinger's Equation, though! As far as I know, it's an axiom :) .

Used to be. A bunch of statisticians recently derived it by applying statistical laws, as I recall.

[ Wednesday, June 01, 2005 21:53: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #121
I don't believe it. I've been a bit busy teaching lately, but I've been doing this stuff professionally for a dozen years or so, I know most everybody in the foundations of QM field, and I like to think I'd have heard about something like that almost immediately if it were really true.

I can imagine any number of things that might get spun as 'deriving Schroedinger's equation', but they would all amount to putting it in by hand surreptitiously.

I'd be delighted to be corrected on this, though, if you have a reference.

--------------------
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #122
I have 1 huge piece of advice for the people who are planning to get degrees in computer programming, CS, CS + Math, or any other similar thing:
Don't bother.

I got a degree like this 1.5 years ago and I still don't have a programming job, despite my Berkeley degrees in EECS and Applied Math, with some work experience and decent GPA. (I've given up on programming and got a SQA job instead.) Several of the people I know aren't doing much better.

Don't get me wrong, if you've been programming computers since you've learned to read and have dreamt your entire life of working at Google, go for it. But if you simply "like computers" or want to get in on a hot field, I'd suggest trying something else.

PS Kelandon, which physics classes did you take, the physics 7 series or physics 8 series?

I personally prefer derivations, rather than problem solving in my classes, because any computer (and even some calculators) can solve the problems for you, given the formulas. Deriving these formulas and seeing how they interact is the fun part.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #123
Whoa, Zeviz. It's been a while. Uh, hi there.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #124
What we did was more or less like this, although a tad more rigorous (but not by much). This doesn't look like a real derivation, but I can't pinpoint why.

EDIT: Zeviz, I took H7A, H7B, and 7C. And I would've been fine focusing on derivations if that's what we were graded on, but it seems wrong to focus on one thing in class and then grade on something fairly different.

[ Wednesday, June 01, 2005 22:10: Message edited by: Thurylandon ]

--------------------

Pages