Quick question about a game (AoE II)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Quick question about a game (AoE II)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #0
I realize that this is severely off-topic. I'd argue that other topics are worse, but that's not a good justification.

Anyway, there's a small question I need answered about the game Age of Empires II, which I'm about to buy. Namely, if anyone has the Gold Edition, can you tell me if the soundtrack is the same as the one on the original Age of Kings version or a new soundtrack? For comparison, the first part of the Age of Kings soundtrack - which is included in the demo version as a rather horrible midi file - is uploaded here.

Thanks, and sorry for the spam.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #1
heres even worse nOobism where did you get the demo ?

i looked but did not find. . . . . unless of course you use PC in that case crap !

EDIT: Well Im in for the night i think if i don't post for around four hours it means i went to bed got up lazed around for forty five minutes and ate breakfast

[ Friday, May 13, 2005 21:47: Message edited by: hawk king ]

--------------------
Why are you reading this ?
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #2
There is no AOE 2 Mac demo.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Fair is Foul and Foul is Fair:

I realize that this is severely off-topic. I'd argue that other topics are worse, but that's not a good justification.

How can a topic in General be off topic?

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #4
General was meant for general discussion of Spiderweb stuff, and Misc for random discussion of just anything. Then Misc was killed, and while the official position has never changed, General has kind of morphed into Misc II.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Fair is Foul and Foul is Fair:

There's a small question I need answered about the game Age of Empires II, which I'm about to buy. Namely, if anyone has the Gold Edition, can you tell me if the soundtrack is the same as the one on the original Age of Kings version or a new soundtrack?
Why do you want to buy it? If you can't wait for Age of Empires III, get Age of Mythology or Rise of Nations.

Age of Empires Gold is the original plus the expansion. It includes both games, so there is no reason for the original music to be left out.

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #6
Neither AoM nor RoN are the same experience as AoE2. They're all relatively fun.

But AoM is pretty much a straight pitch to the console crowd - it's pretty heavily dumbed down, IMO, and also IMO comparatively ugly - and it offers a far more reflex-based, hotkey-pounding experience than you'd expect from an AoE game. I was disappointed by it, to be sure.

RoN is worth playing, but not worth buying. Uh, bum it from a friend, wink wink nudge nudge - it's got an interesting resource and technology dynamic, and it's certainly very handsome; for the most part, units look like what AoE1 and AoE2 would have done with 16-bit color instead of the 'original game makes love to a pile of polygons' look that seems to be in vogue nowadays, and the music is pretty, well-composed, evocative, and absolutely nothing like AoE's (less electronic, more orchestral). But handsome and novel don't make a game good, and the gameplay is very cloyingly rock-paper-scissorsish.

By contrast, AoE2 is rather like AoE, only more sophisticated. There's a soft spot in my heart for it that I doubt any sequel to come is going to harden.

If AoE3 uses that same goddamn infantry-rangers-cavalry unit dynamic that the AoE people have been drifting ineluctably into since Rise of Rome, I'm going to encourage people to pirate it out of a sense of civic duty.

[ Friday, May 13, 2005 23:10: Message edited by: Custer XVI ]

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #7
RoN could have been really good, but it kinda sucked. I think I played it like twice after I bought it. This goes along with my feeling that for every game I buy, I should get like 15 others for free, because so many games end up sucking.

If you want a *real* game, play Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross (the latter is for SNES, you can get it off the internet and play on an emulator). These have to be my favorite games ever. If you want ones actually made for computers, play the Monkey Island games, my gods they are awesome! Though niether of those are RTSes.

AoE actually wasn't that bad. I liked it, though I never got all that great at it. I played it with my high school calculus teacher and he kicked my ass at it every time! AoM was pretty fun, too, but IIRC the computer cheats like a son of a bastard outside of the campaign. Sadly, this is something most computer games to now-a-days. How I long for the days of the first Command and Conquer, and Red Alert! Giant ants and dinosaurs! It was crazy, I tell you!

--------------------
I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation.
- George Bernard Shaw
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
hawk king: Given that Age of Empires is published by Microsoft, it makes sense that they limit it to their own OS.

Spring: While indeed General has - as Creator (Ash Lael = Creator, did I get that right?) said - evolved into Misc II, it is occasionally considered good form to apologize for severely off-topic threads. Unless the poster is an oldbie, which I'm not, relatively speaking. :P

AoM doesn't much appeal to me from what I've seen (the supernatural and RTS don't go well together imo), and I've hardly heard of Rise of Nations. AoE II is the one I want, if only for reasons of nostalgia.

I suppose if I get anything after that, it would be Empire Earth... ;) (Once I somehow get my hands on some supercomputer that can run it without freezing up every few seconds even at the lowest graphic setting)

[ Saturday, May 14, 2005 00:18: Message edited by: Fair is Foul and Foul is Fair ]

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #9
Ash Lael sort of = Creator, but not exactly. Can't be bothered explaining it again.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
Ah yes, I remember. "The Creator" is an identity you share with your brother or something, right?

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #11
I actually suggest you not to get Empire Earth. Sure, the campaigns are good and all that, but the... what, twenty-or-so different ages kind of makes it lose that "Imperial Age is the best" feeling. You know, how you get all the really good advancements like Polytheism and Ballistics at a University or another, high-age building?

That's gone, because with 20 ages, you can't have one "high-level" age because 99% of campaigns won't get to it. Instead, you just get the regulation advancements (increase damage, upgrade walls, faster resource gathering, new heroes, building LOS, hospital healing rate, ect.)

That's my rant for today.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #12
AoE II Gold Edition is pretty fun. I like seeing the people hunt, fish and pick berries. I would rather the time line start from the stone age (like in the original) and evolve all the way into modern times. I used to send a group of cave men out on patrol, and when the enemy tribes chased them I had my priests convert them :P

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #13
AoE 2 is a good game partly because it actually works on this computer and partly because it's just fun.

I think the sound tracks for AoK and AoC are different, but the Gold Edition comes with a AoK CD, just like you would get if you bought it separate. The same goes for AoC. Therefore, if you want the AoK sound track, use the AoK disc. Otherwise, use the AoC disc. However, I like the expansion better because of the extra units, building, queued farms (a big improvement), and just overall better gameplay.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #14
Well,
I got really into AoE a few years back and ended up buying it. I never really played much of AoE II but tryed playing AoM which I really didnt like. But I am borrowing Empire Earth II of a friend today to see if it's worth buying so that should be good.
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #15
Hey, we're in the Spiderweb forums here. Why not put this in the Microsoft forum? If there is one.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
This is the General forum. Age of Empires, being a military strategy game, has generals in it. Therefore, it's on topic here.

[ Monday, May 16, 2005 02:36: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by cfgauss:

If you want a *real* game, play Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross (the latter is for SNES, you can get it off the internet and play on an emulator). These have to be my favorite games ever. If you want ones actually made for computers, play the Monkey Island games, my gods they are awesome! Though niether of those are RTSes.
The former is an SNES game; the latter is for PSX. Neither of these are close to being an RTS - you may as well be promoting Minesweeper.

It's all about the Greek centurions, baby.