How about a different kind of game...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: How about a different kind of game...
Apprentice
Member # 5775
Profile #0
I was thinking...why doesn't spiderweb make an action RPG like Starcraft? I think they would do a good job at it.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
Originally written by exileIIIfan:

I think they would do a good job at it.
Why? All sorts of people seem to think that SW could do all sorts of different game genres that have nothing to do with what SW has already done.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
Why doesn't Dr Phil become a neurosurgeon? He's good at working with people's brains.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #4
Why don't I go build CPUs and video cards? I mean, I played computer games all my life.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #5
Thuryl, Dr. Phil can't work on brains, but he can at least segue into mediocrity within his field.

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
Starcraft isn't an action RPG. It's a pure real-time strategy game.

Jeff addressed this very issue in one of his interviews. He said quite plainly that while it might be interesting to try, he isn't sure he could do it well and sell it. He knows he can make and sell RPGs. His curiousity and sense of adventure are no match for his bills.

—Alorael, who certainly thinks the plot of E3/A3 might have worked better as a strategy game than as an RPG. If an army of golems faces an army of cockroaches, who will win? Would the troglos or the giants eventually emerge victorious in their struggle?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Alpha Lambda Omega:

Starcraft isn't an action RPG. It's a pure real-time strategy game.

I was hoping someone would say that.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #8
You also need to remember that Spiderweb in run by 3 people, and only 1 actually does the programming. If Jeff likes to make RPGs better that RTS's, that's what he'll make.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #9
Jeff could EASILY make a game just as struggling and rewarding as something by Intelligent Systems if he wanted to- it would still be turn-based, same plot, same everything EXCEPT it'd have FE gameplay.

>_> (boner)

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
Why doesn't Jeff make a First-Person-Shooter? Really, it's so similar to what he's done already, I'm sure he'd do a great job. He just has to get off his lazy butt and do it! Should we, like, email him or something? :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #11
A turn based FPS? O_o [/pretendtobetrolled]

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Wise Man's current rank is:

A turn based FPS? O_o [/pretendtobetrolled]
Fallout, motherfscker. Do you speak it?

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #13
Sir! FPS stands for "first-person shooter". Fallout does not use a first-person perspective.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #14
Eh, fine. But I know that there's a PC game that is turn-based and is at a first-person perspective- hell if it hasn't been years since I saw it, though.

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #15
I think a turn-based FPS would have to de-emphasize shooting a fair bit. So in effect it would be a Choose-your-own-adventure. I'm not holding my breath for 'Sceneforge'.

[ Sunday, May 01, 2005 19:21: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
There are, of course, turn-based first-person RPGs, such as the early Might and Magic games, but one would hardly call them "shooters".

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #17
First-person squinters.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #18
Wait, wait... I know! Why doesn't Jeff do a version of Avernum ON LINE?!!?!??!?!!!!!111/?!??! That would teh awesomest!!!!!11!!!!111!1

Welcome to Spiderweb, leave your sanity at the door.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #19
Wizardry is in first person, and remains turn-based. But again... we were talking shooters. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if a shooter would be possible in turn-based mode. There was that one attempt (a Max Payne mod), but that's a little far out (and not first person ;) ).

Just to reiterate, Starcraft is in no way an action RPG. Or an RPG. Or an action game.

And to reiterate another point, Jeff would suck it up trying to make an RTS, or any other genre for that matter. He should stick to "RP"-G's.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
In all fairness, there's no reason to believe that Jeff would suck at RTS games or anything else. We have absolutely nothing to judge by.

There's also no reason to believe that he'd be any good, though, which is exactly why he hasn't tried it.

—Alorael, who doesn't see any reason why a turn-based FPS wouldn't work. It would definitely be different, and it would be best if instead of pure turns it had small "slices" of regular FPS action, but it could work.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #21
Well since Alo kept the idea alive, I'll explain.

This Max Payne had you fighting a group of people, in (something like) 10 second intervals. You had 10 seconds to move, shoot, hide before the enemy gets the same. It makes some intense moments, since literally every second counts.

But let's speculate on what this RTS would be? I say it would be 3 races interlocked in combat for centuries, before a new king for each comes to finally win. Go ahead and cut-n-paste, Jeff.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #22
Now I'm shocked to admit this is the first I've really noticed, but better late than never: isn't 'die white girls' a tad hateful? Now that I have noticed it, I have to say it offends me. My little daughter is a white girl.

With the 'uber' underneath I can imagine an attempt at the Sideshow Bob defense; but, no. Would you mind changing it?

[ Monday, May 02, 2005 18:38: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------