Ouch

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Ouch
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #0
Today at school, in P.E., a ball hit the little finger of my right hand hard. A bandage and a splint was put on it, and I was told to go home. The teachers say it's just badly bruised, and possibly fractured. Should I take an X-Ray?
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #1
No, They'll just splint it either way.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin:

They'll just splint it either way
I've already had it splint. I think I'd just feel safer if I knew exactly what was wrong with it. But is it worth the time and effort?
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #3
If you feel better knowing, do so. I fractured a little finger and all they did was splint it.

--------------------
Nena
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #4
I had something like that happen to me a couple of years ago. It wasn't splinted, however, but I did get an X-ray on it. The results shown that it was fractured, but had healed rather quickly. To this day my finger is still partly bent because of that accident.

You should get it X-rayed. Some times they are more than just fractured.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
If the break is particularly bad or there's tendon damage, you might need surgery. But in the former case you'd probably know already and in the latter case an X-ray won't show that up anyway.

Still, X-rays are fairly harmless, cheap and non-invasive, so you may as well go for one.

[ Thursday, April 28, 2005 23:39: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #6
When I sprained my wrist last weekend, I saw a doctor as soon as possible and got x-rays taken to determine the nature of the injury. As Thuryl mentioned, there's not much to lose in getting it x-rayed, so you might as well do so.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #7
An x-ray can show you, if it is a clean break or not. If not, if there are splitters, surgery might be necessary. So have it done to be on the safe side.

--------------------
Polaris
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #8
I agree, but when I had my x-ray, I didn't even see them. The doctor just told me wether it needed surgery or not.

--------------------

Polaris
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #9
Generally, with fingers and toes, an x-ray will not have any effect on the healing process - it pretty much has to happen naturally, unless it's really bad, in which case they can tell without an x-ray.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #10
Yes - if you were to break a toe, all a doctor would say is: "Looks like you've broken your toe. Take it easy on it. That'll be $95."

Fingers, on the other hand (no pun intended), may be a little different.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #11
Depending on the type of break, the bone may need setting. Also sometimes the finger should not be kept straight, but slightly crooked. Ask your doctor.

--------------------
Polaris
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #12
Apparently when they say 'General' they ain't just whistlin' Dixie.

Still, my sympathy.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #13
Not going to the doctor is a bad idea. Once I fractured my wrist and just thought it was a particularly bad sprain for a week, if I had gone to the doctor sooner, it would probably have healed a lot faster.

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #14
Well, I've taken the bandage off now (or rather, it fell off) and its just swollen and quite stiff on the outside. Is it still likely that there may be a fracture on the inside?
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #15
Being that none of us can see it, and your age, it may be wise to ask your parents what you should do.

--------------------
Nena
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #16
If it is rather badly bruised you should see a dcotor anyway, but take the doctors advice rather than a bunch of people on the other side of the world you havn't met.

[ Friday, April 29, 2005 16:33: Message edited by: Sprung Spring ]
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #17
Just sounds like a jarred finger to me. I've had a fair few. They hurt a bit for a fair while, but heal fine. Taping the bad finger to a good one helps if you want to keep playing sport or whatever.

On the other hand, I could be completely wrong. Asking random strangers on the internet who can't even see how bad it is may not be the best way to get good advice. :P

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #18
imho if you're not 18 yet (and you don't look it by the photo thread) then it's not up to you whether you get an x-ray or not. That should be up for your parents to decide since they are responsible for your care and since they will be footing the bill.
(that's the way we do it in America anyway...)

The doctors here won't do anything without a signed consent form anyway. Too worried about being sued.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

tracihedlund@charter.net[/url]
TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Gizmo:

imho if you're not 18 yet (and you don't look it by the photo thread) then it's not up to you whether you get an x-ray or not. That should be up for your parents to decide since they are responsible for your care and since they will be footing the bill.
That works pretty much every where.

Ash is probably right -- its most likely just jarred. You get them a lot in physical sports (i.e football, netnball, basketball).

--------------------

Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #20
Fractured or no, if it isn't excruciating, it'll heal fine. I dislocated a knuckle, tearing the ligaments, and fractured my finger, and I didn't even need a splint. In fact, I played the remainder of the football season in which I broke it, and the only difference now is that the knuckle is slightly bigger.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #21
Did you get it put back into place in that match?

--------------------

Polaris
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #22
What's Netball. Is that like handball?

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #23
It's like basketball only you're not allowed to run with the ball.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #24
Right. I remebered some game called handball just not exactly what it is.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.

Pages