Karma - No not that kind

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Karma - No not that kind
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #0
I am talking about the belief that all actions good or bad will eventually be repaid.

What are your thoughts on this philosophy? Do you follow it or are skeptical or just don't really care either way?

--------------------
"He's mine, go get your own human plaything!" Bernard Black (Black Books)

Also look at my sitehere
This is also a good site
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #1
Of course, absolutely true. Call me naiv but I have faith in higher justice or balance. It's basic for ethical behaving. Doing bad will have bad consequences, if not in this life, then in the next one. I don't think that something happens without a reason.

((_))
:( :)

--------------------
^ö^ vegetarians are sexy.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #2
I've done things good and bad that have come back to me as similar but reversed occerrences. I've also seen things go back to others. They often don't see it and I don't point it out.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #3
I don't really care. No matter what I do, something bad just HAS to happen to me. There was that time when some lady almost fell into the subway track, and then I pulled her back, and instead of thanking me for saving her friggin life she slapped me for "harassing" her.

[ Wednesday, March 23, 2005 15:13: Message edited by: Wise Man is quite the ]

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Apprentice
Member # 5549
Profile #4
totally TRUE.

and i have a curse :(

whenever i say a dirty word, there ALWAYS is a teacher around and he grounds me!! :mad: :mad:

[ Wednesday, March 23, 2005 15:41: Message edited by: StelarBoy ]
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #5
You know, one of the concepts of Karma is that what ever energy is sent out will be returned to you. To say “I have bad luck” will bring bad luck. To say “I love you” will encourage others to be more open to loving you.

--------------------
Nena
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #6
No way thatz what I say. Karma pff whatever, there's a difference between doing something then having that person retaliate later, and mystical energy getting you back for doing something nobody really noticed. Revenge exists, Karma does not.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
It's psychological. There is a story that whoever takes a lava rock from Hawaii will suffer a curse of horrendous bad luck. There is also a constant stream of packages, parcels and letters arriving in Hawaiian hotels, accompanied with rocks, sand and even dust, begging the addressee to "please return" the stuff, because apparently they've suffered nothing but bad luck since they took it.

Is it coincidence that so many people will just have bad luck after stealing a stone? Couldn't be. Is it a curse? Very unlikely.

Everyone has bad luck occasionally, see? And when it happens, you just take it and say "well crap." But if you've stolen one of those rocks, you'll say "it's all the fault of that damn piece of lava."

And that's how karma works, too.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Dolphin:

You know, one of the concepts of Karma is that what ever energy is sent out will be returned to you. To say “I have bad luck” will bring bad luck. To say “I love you” will encourage others to be more open to loving you.
There seem to be a few potential oddities with the above. For example, does it mean that I can escape the effects of karma entirely by saying that karma has no effect on me?

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #9
Well you would still have 'good luck' and 'bad luck' but they would be attributed to coincidence instead of karma.

I tend to think that most of the repayment will be done in the afterlife.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #10
quote:
The world is overrun by crazed demons.

Hmm… It doesn't seem to work, unless humans are demons.

[ Thursday, March 24, 2005 07:44: Message edited by: Mind ]
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:
Originally written by Dolphin:

There seem to be a few potential oddities with the above. For example, does it mean that I can escape the effects of karma entirely by saying that karma has no effect on me?

I said it affects the exchange of energy, and potential of occurrences. Negative or positive thought dose not affect major events. For example lets say in a previous life a person beat their spouse and children. This person had no retribution and died a peaceful death. In the next life they would be born into an infant that would be a beaten child. They could be a person who sends good energy to the universe and is forgiving, thus allowing the better situation in the next life. But an old debt must be paid. That is to say karma is not a punishment, it is a lesson. Though reincarnation is an issue in itself this was the easiest way of stating that.

They say that karma can be replaced if proper deeds and thoughts are done. This is difficult to explain as it is not a rigid system. Loving thoughts build no new karma, enlightenment is absence of karma.

[ Thursday, March 24, 2005 07:10: Message edited by: Dolphin ]

--------------------
Nena
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #12
Sorry about the double post,

[ Thursday, March 24, 2005 07:08: Message edited by: Dolphin ]

--------------------
Nena
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #13
I'd like to think that in some way, hubris will always lead to nemesis.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by andrew miller:

I believe the term is "Ate". And in some way, it always does. Eventually.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #15
I'd like there to be karma, but there isn't. **** happens, no matter what. It does make things more interesting though, all that ****... ^^

--------------------
Bending, but not in the way you might imagine.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Of mithril, and of elven-glass:

quote:
Originally written by andrew miller:

I believe the term is "Ate". And in some way, it always does. Eventually.

Ate is but the means to nemesis, my friend.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
I have seen precious little evidence of a higher power, intelligent or otherwise, enforcing justice. Reincarnation based on karma, maybe, but that's difficult to prove or disprove. It would account for why there are so many bad people and so many suffering innocent people, though.

—Alorael, who certainly does not believe in karma as an influence over luck. He is quite willing to believe that the universe has a healthy, or perhaps unhealthy, sense of irony, however. That is easily observed.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #18
quote:
Shame is the child of haughtiness.

quote:
I have seen precious little evidence of a higher power, intelligent or otherwise, enforcing justice.
Please clarify.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
Note on English idiom: "I've seen precious little" means "I haven't seen any". It doesn't mean "I've seen a little, and it's precious".

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #20
For some strange reason, when my Karma was at 4, I didn't care. When it dropped to 2, I was sad. But when it went back up to 4, I didn't care. Now that I'm at 3, I still don't care.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #21
This is a strange notion. If all animals move up the karmic chain of being starting from the lowly fly to the human being, does this mean that eventually there will only be human beings and no animals left because there souls have become human. Ponder this.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #22
If you think about how often animals do conscious deeds that show compassion or selflessness it would take a long time to build up enough good karma to be born as a human.

Humans who do certain things can be born into lower realms. Hell beings, hungry ghosts, and animals are lower realms. There are higher forms than humans. Some call them angels, spirits, or ethereal beings. That may be more than I should get into, as that is more in depth than the concept of karma. This also gets into more spiritual beliefs than some follow.

--------------------
Nena
Apprentice
Member # 5564
Profile #23
What people believe to be "karma" is none other than a pyschological effect created by coincidence. I do believe their is a higher being (God) up above, but I also believe strongly in coincidence... awww forget it, I'd like to say their's a logical earthly explanation but I believe in God, so I'd have to say yes their is rewards for doing good things and reprimations for doing wrong... =/
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #24
Somehow between reading the posts and pressing the "post reply" button I forgot what I was going to say. Grr.

Two quotes, then:

"If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all." Born Under a Bad Sign Cream

"In my experience there's no such thing as luck." Old Ben Kenobi.

If some people can presume that the myriad of possible actions you could've taken create a parallel universe in which that action was taken, why can't the deeds you do affect the fabric of reality at some level? It may sound crazy, but so did the concept of the Earth rotating around the Sun to people in earlier times.

In a way, perhaps, Karma works as a kind of retrofeedback psychological thingy mingy. The more you believe in it, the more it affects your actions even though in "reality" there was no such thing.

If you have happy thoughts and a happy attitude towards life, people will, perhaps, more often than not respond to that in a similar friendly fashion, though not all of course. There are always exceptions. Just as if you are a Moronic Jerk from Plan 9, people will react negatively towards you and you may affect their mood. A bad deed may precipitate another bad deed from the person who received the bad deed out of sheer revenge upon another person or because that person is in a pissy mood.

But that alludes to too many cuase and effect, perhaps more than there actually is. Maybe life is far more chaotic than that, maybe it just doesn't matter what you do or how you behave. There's no system, there're no rules. Crap happens because it happens, not because you deserved it to happen. There can be a rain of frogs, you can be a nice person your whole life and never get anywhere and be treated like crud or you can be a prick and admired or you can be a normal person and spend all your life in a hopsital with different injuries or never have gone to one. Who knows?

If there's a thing which I believe, and with some reservations here and there, is the power to make up for wasted time, for wrong actions, to redeem yourself, if that's needed. I also believe that in spite of that hubris I see in humanity some times, people are fundamentally. . . decent if not good (I'd be a little cynic for the moment), even though there's another side to the same coin. But that has do to with politics and tunnel-realities and not quite with karma.

Maybe karma is quantic. Maybe you heisenberg's uncertainty principle plays a role. Murphy is only true the times you notice him to be true. Most opf the times he doesn't exist, you go on through life doing things and nothing really bad happens, but when it does, oh, then Murphy's laws are called upon rather quickly.

Maybe we have some kind of karmatic gene there somewhere. Who knows?

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)