A new awakening fear...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: A new awakening fear...
Shock Trooper
Member # 258
Profile Homepage #0
I’m going into the navy rather soon…and I have some unsettling ideas in regards to that. Well, not really ideas, simply…feelings. I’m just finishing up high school and have no other plans beyond that but to do what I can to make the most of myself. I’m attempting to get to NROTC and etc. But I’m not sure about how that’s going to turn out. I suppose the question I’m attempting to ask is if any of you have any experience with the Navy, or for that matter submarines. I’ve heard all sorts of horror stories and etc but nothing concrete. So, any takers. It’s going to be a rather hard transition as it is, out of school , away from friends, away from parents who I was never close to too begin with, and into a completely new society with different rules and principles that I can not begin to comprehend until I experience them first hand. And of course my parents are shouting me down saying that if I continue the way I’m going I’m going to fail completely in every apect of my life and never have any satifactory relationship…which never goes well because the usuall response is “it’s your fault”…then they say, we wouldn’t be the way we are if it weren’t for you. With really takes care of the gilt quite well, right? So…anyways…Navy, how is it?

EDIT: I realize that this is VERY general...but of some importance to me...and since Misc. Is gone...what could I do... SOrry if it dosnt' belong...

[ Thursday, March 10, 2005 08:41: Message edited by: PencilDragon ]

--------------------
...well I thought it was funney...? didn't you?
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #1
A good friend of mine joined the Navy out of high school so that he could get money for school later. He had a very, very positive experience.

Depending on the route you take, you can come away from your enlisted experience with some good advantages. The afformentioned friend spent his enlisted time working in naval intelligence, specifically as an Arabic translator. The Navy trained him in Arabic, and then he would fly on recon missions off of carriers or out of other bases over the Persian Gulf to do signal intelligence. So when he was done, he had a valuable language he could market, veteran's preference (he served in a combat zone, and was called back for the war with Afghanistan) which is very good if you want a federal job, as well as a security clearance, which is a goldmine if you're looking for government or government consulting work, not even necessarily related to defense.

Being in the Navy also helped bring discipline in his life, teaching him responsibility. He also got to see a lot of the world, and had a fair bit of fun in the process.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #2
I have a lot of hesitation with the military. But, one thing I have heard is that it is better to go in with a specific goal in mind before you join. Specifically taking a degree in aeronautic engineering and getting a pilots license can help you if you wanted to become a fighter pilot. You don't end up assigned in a role you do not want.

If you know people who are part of a submarine crew, try and get to talk to the senior officers and find out what training they had before you go in. What degree from college, what kind of interests that put them in the right position.

Read the military aptitude tests, there are publicly available samples, also there are complete descriptions of all the positions and career paths for the military. It is very easy to find yourself in an unanticipated position.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #3
Sorry, can't help. All I know about subs I learned from movies. Hunt for Red October and Down Periscope come to mind. I have no idea how realistic they are.

But kudos to you for deciding to serve your country. If I wasn't just about to marry Hubby, I would have considered some type of service. Air Force would be my first pick but you have to have 20/20 vision to be a piolt. Navy or Marines (are they the same thing?) were my second choice. When the job fair came around my school senior year I spent a lot of time looking longingly at the booths but knew the wedding was only months away.

Now I'm a mother of four and I run my own little boot camp. ;)

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

tracihedlund@charter.net[/url]
TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #4
I would serve my country, but not under Bush.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4062
Profile #5
I was in the Army for a short ammount of time, joined the Infantry and was offered the very desirable position of serving in the "Old Guard" or 3rd infantry division. I was sent home shortly after starting Boot Camp because the doctors on base disagreed with the doctors back home about a medical condition I have...Yea.

Anyways, the only real advice I can offer you is know what your getting into. Talk to people, don't expect anything before getting some hard facts/experiences from people who have actually served. Recruiters only tell you half the truth.

I saw a lot of new recruits wanting to go home, but those that actually knew what they were getting into had a great time, even during Boot camp. I wouldn't have left of my own will even if they had offered me a billion dollars, but i guess you have to be in -perfect- health to serve your country nowadays.

Your planning on going to college right? I know for the Army at least you need a few years of that to get into the ROTC, most likely the same for the Navy. Good luck on getting the position you want, I myself would find it very frightening being stuck on a submarine.
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #6
i totally agree with dolphin

--------------------
Avernum is as addictive as skribbane!!! Withdrawal symptoms are harsh so I just keep playing.
Free skribbane at Wal-mart
Shock Trooper
Member # 258
Profile Homepage #7
It seems like the navy was the best course for me seeing as it is that they pay for everything. But it's still a shakey idea that you're going to leave everything behind for some completly new exerpience, ya know...just...odd...not that i'm complianing. I suppose i will have a good time. I'm going into law and psychology for schooling so that I come out rather well once I get done...

--------------------
...well I thought it was funney...? didn't you?
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #8
College can be a completely new experience as well. Just don't get too worked up over it, and you'll be fine.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #9
Americans have a rather different College system.
In Australia, College is after Primary School, so you are usually 12-14 years old when you start.
How ever, good luck.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #10
Americans have a rather different College system.
In Australia, College is after Primary School, so you are usually 12-14 years old when you start.
How ever, good luck in the navy.

Edit: Sorry about the double post. I tried editing this, and all hell broke loose.

Edit 2: Post 150!

[ Thursday, March 10, 2005 13:43: Message edited by: The Sprung Spring ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #11
American "college" = Australian "university".

The pre-tertiary education system has a bit less of a one-to-one correspondence. The American system of elementary school, middle school and high school is only used in stuffy private schools over here. Public schools have primary school (years 0-6) and secondary school (7-12).

[ Thursday, March 10, 2005 20:21: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!