How many?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: How many?
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #0
I was just wondering....how many people were wondering how many people thought I lived near or in Cairo before otherwise stated?

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Following the rights movements
You clamped on with your iron fists
drugs being conviently available for all the kids

Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
For your wars against the new non rich
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
I didn't. Don't ask me why, but the notion of someone calling themselves "Cairo Jim" because they live in Cairo just seems illogical. I mean, I wouldn't name myself Aachen-Aran, right? :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #2
I've been asked twice in the past if I lived in or near Cairo, and now I wondered if anyone else did. Be honest here people....

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #3
Well since your info (said) you're from Queensland Australia, my thought was that you were into the Egyptian pyramids/mummies/culture and the like.

[ Thursday, March 03, 2005 06:41: Message edited by: Gizmo ]

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

tracihedlund@charter.net[/url]
TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #4
I honestly didn’t put a ton of thought into it. I’m Dolphin but I don’t live in the middle of the pacific ocean.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #5
Honestly, knowing that you now live in my mother's bedroom is a far less entertaining prospect.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 5520
Profile #6
My first impression concurs with that of Gizmo above. Never imagined that you would be anywhere near Cairo for that matter. Honestly.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
Aachenaran? Sounds like a descendent of Akhenaten, and that's another link to Cairo! Another conspiracy! Where's Room 3?

—Alorael, who never treats PDNs as serious information for any purpose. He even doubts that Andrew Miller is named Andrew Miller, and you can't get much more obvious than that.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #8
I didn't, but then again, I never even considered it either. Some people were just kind of curious. BtW, while we're on the subject, though, are you interested in Cairo or something?

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #9
I was pretty sure you lived nowhere near Cairo - I took it as more of an Indiana Jones type thing.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
Not exactly. He took his name from that of a fictional character.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Warrior
Member # 3804
Profile #11
Originally written by Dolphin:
quote:
I honestly didn’t put a ton of thought into it. I’m Dolphin but I don’t live in the middle of the pacific ocean.
:P Thank you, that just made my day. xD As for being on topic, no, i don't recall thinking you were from Cairo.

--------------------
"This......is a TREE! What's it for?" -Exile III
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #12
It said in you information that you were from QLD, so I didn't think about you living in Egypt.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #13
I thought you lived in a gym that belonged to your family during the Middle Ages, maybe the first ever gym in the world, and that throughout the centuries the name had changed to "Jim" your surname.

As for your first name, I figure you either had had a date in Cairo that you really like (as opposed of the evil kind), or more than likely, your parents loved the name (maybe it reminded them of where they had met, or where they had had a tordid love affair or where they had hidden the map to an immense fortune whose first clue was encrypted in your name.)

Never imagined you lived in Cairo, but it did crossed my mind that you had visited it and being a camel herder magnate at one point or another.

I'm terrible at this.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Shock Trooper
Member # 258
Profile Homepage #14
...I just thought it was a name you happened to choose for whatever reasons that may be your own or may not and are further unspecified here...or perhaps not...? Speaking of names...are't I creative and whitty??? :D

--------------------
...well I thought it was funney...? didn't you?
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #15
How did you get the name?

--------------------

Polaris
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
As I half-mentioned in an above post, he's most likely named after the main character from a series of novels, who also went by the name of Cairo Jim.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #17
Didn't see that, I'm not very observant though.

--------------------

Polaris
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #18
I did say otherwise stated....and I haven't had QLD Aust. there all the time. And I didn't find out about the novel until a few months after I signed onto these forums when I got one of the novels for my birthday.

The name, I got in grade 8, we had to pretend to write to someone in another country. I was going for egypt and the name just kinda popped in.

--------------------

You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
And I didn't find out about the novel until a few months after I signed onto these forums when I got one of the novels for my birthday.
Ha, I feel your pain. I was given the middle name Raphael largely on the basis that it was rare enough to be vanishingly unlikely to appear in pop culture in a way that might leave my name with unfortunate connotations.

A mere few years later, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles came along...

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #20
Are middle names really that common. I dodnt have one. Does everybody here have one? I mean Iv given myself the middle name "G." just because it sounds cool but besides that nothing.

--------------------
I stop rubber at 160km/h, five times a week.
CANUCKS
RESPEK!
My Style
The Knight Between Posts.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #21
My middle name is Caitlin.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #22
I am called Sebastian by middle name.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #23
It's interesting that Raphael is not that common in English. In Spanish it's all over the place.

In Spanish cultures middle names are common. Almost everybody's got one. In fact, quite a few are known for both their names: Maria + "_______" (Maria Jose, Maria Fernanda, Maria Luisa. . .) In the case of men, Jose and Juan are the most common to be associated with a middle name. (Jose Ignacio is very common. Juan Carlos is very common) In the end many end up being known by either their first names, or a nick name, but, still, the use of both is very common. I'm Miguel Angel. The use of both not that common, except usually when someone is pissed at me.

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #24
My middle name is "Narayan," adapted and shortened from my father's "Narayanaswami." It's almost more of a suffix to my first name than a middle name, but my mother wisely figured that making it my middle name would mercifully spare me from writing out "Anandnarayan Subramanian" for the rest of my life.

Name formation in South India used to be radically different from the given first/middle and passed-on family last name formula used in North India, America, and most everywhere else. Instead, South Indian males possessed a nebulously ordered name consisting of a given name, a family name, and the name of the man's village of birth. In my father's case these names were, respectively, Subramanian, Narayanaswami, and Kiranur. South Indian women were always just given a single individual name, only adding a second name with marriage.

When he decided to travel to America, my father realized his name would have to be reordered along the conventions of the naming system used here. Accordingly, he elected to use the name of his village as his new first name, his family name as his new middle name, and his given name as his new last name. As a result, his work colleagues will invariably address his as "Kiranur," unaware that it is just the name of the village he came from, while Indian friends of his will correctly address him as "Subramanian."

Along with my sisters, I was named according to American conventions. Things have changed in South India as well; an increasing amount of people are given first names of Sanskrit origins like mine, and last names of familial significance. The archaic practice of including place of origin in one's name seems to have permanently fallen out of use.

[ Friday, March 11, 2005 00:43: Message edited by: This Glass Is Half Stugie ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.

Pages