ATTN: Mods - Spam Alert

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: ATTN: Mods - Spam Alert
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #0
I received a PM from "nephlim homie" titled "yes it does" which says:

"it said that avernum is a nice place to live but I wouldent want 2 live there. duh u bargle fank (nerd) by the way do u want 2 come over to my house and meet m tv u would be it is best friends. web page see ya some were over the rain bow." After that, s/he typed out the alphabet about 10 million times (I'm not exaggerating!)

I couldn't find a "report post" button on the PM, so this is the only way I can think of to report this spam. Please do something about this, mods!

EDIT: Also, the "web page" was a link. I suspect that it leads to a virus.

[ Tuesday, February 22, 2005 17:21: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Shock Trooper
Member # 258
Profile Homepage #1
It's a scary scary corner of the world we live in, no?
:D

--------------------
...well I thought it was funney...? didn't you?
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #2
Must have been harry toast.

Dear Buttered Toast
Good day.
I am Kojo Mark,a Ghanaian and the personal attorney to Late Mr H.Toast who was a national of your country. On the 21st of April 2002,my client, his wife and their only son were involved in a ghastly car accident along Accra / Kumasi express road,here in Ghana and they unfortunately lost their lives.
Since then I have been making several attempts to locate any of my client's relatives but all my efforts have been unsuccessful. As a result of this i decided to track his last name over the Internet hoping to locate any member of his family or someone who could fit in.This led to my contacting you.
I have contacted you to assist in repatriating the money and property left behind before they are confiscated or declared unserviceable by the Security Company where he kept a cash deposit worth $11.7M in a vault and declared as personal effects for safe keeping. The Security Company has now issued me a final notice of intent to provide his next of kin or have the deposit confiscated and handed over to the government having exceeded the agreed period of deposit.
Since I have been unsuccessful in locating any one who is related to him all these while, i then decided to contact you to seek your consent to present you as the next of kin of the deceased (since you share the same surname )so that both of us can retrieve the money from the Security Company and subsequently share it.
It may interest you to note that i have the necessary legal documents that will be used to backup the claim and will effect the change of ownership of this deposit in your name.I expect you will wonder how he made all this money.Well,he was dealing in Diamonds which we was sourcing from Sierra Leone and neighbouring Liberia during the period both countries were at wars.
I can guarantee that this will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you and myself from any breach of the law.Infact,i can explain more of the details if you want me to.
Please,you will have to get back to me as soon as possible if you might be interested so that we can discuss further.If you can give me a telephone number to reach you,fine-because it will be faster.
Best regards.
Kojo Mark

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #3
Do people actually fall for that kind of thing?

It seems like the worst idea to scam. I mean... like the total worst.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #4
If anyone else has encountered such a message from this person, please post here.

Re. Buttered Toast - sorry to hear about your relative! Poor, poor Harry Toast and his family.
Infiltrator
Member # 4592
Profile #5
So "nephlim homie" after two posts, the following two topics, here and here, decides to punish BainIhrno, whose criminal behavior can be seen in the first link.

It seems #5098 is another one who lives, and hopefully will continue to, interesting times.

[ Tuesday, February 22, 2005 21:25: Message edited by: Bireme sailor's concubine ]

--------------------
quote:

"I suffer from spiritual malaise," said Cugel meaningfully. "which manifest itself in outburst of vicious rage. I implore you to depart, lest, in an uncontrollable spasm, I cut you in three pieces with my sword, or worse, I invoke magic."
Random Jack Vance Quote Manual Generator Apparatus (Cugel's Saga)
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #6
nephlim homie:

To quote the great Eric Praline, "It's people like you what causes unrest."

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Lifecrafter
Member # 1768
Profile #7
I was sticking it to the lady before they crashed, so I guess it's all well and good for me. I might be considered kin because of that.

--------------------
"Oh, North Wind, why frighten others?
In Nature's family all are brothers.
Puff and blow and wheeze and hiss;
You can't frighten Shingebiss.
Bring your frost and ice and snow;
I'm still free to come and go.
You can never frighten me,
One who never fears is FREE!"
-Shingebiss, the mighty duck
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
It's unkind to speak ill of the fictitious dead.

—Alorael, who finds it highly plausible that many pieces of toast are consumed in ghastly breakfasts on highways in Ghana every day. Oh, the humanity!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #9
I sent the guy a PM asking what the heck he was talking about. He never responded. Presumably because of the ban...

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #10
Oops, double-post... :o

[ Wednesday, February 23, 2005 14:14: Message edited by: HT Version 3.0 ]

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #11
In my experience, communicating with the devil is the best way to get the devil's attention. I'm not saying what you did was naive, but it was.

To me, it seems this person is just a waste of resources. A colossal waste of resources.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5382
Profile #12
yes people do fall for that sort of thing. my mother and step-father got a similiar e-mail a while ago. and because he came from a wealthy family. in which one of the members might have been in the country mentioned in the letter at the time of the supposed accident. i had a very hard time convincing my mom it was spam. they we're even ready to send the guy money. i finally told her to talk to a lawyer. they finally decided to forget about thankfully. but it probably could have got really ugly.
p.s. this is for the "toast" part of the "post"

[ Tuesday, March 01, 2005 11:33: Message edited by: clstem4ever ]

--------------------
a true spiderweb software addict.
currently registered: boe,boa,geneforge2,nethergate,homeland-stone of night. more to come....